1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you ever have doubts about wether or not you are "REALLY" a writer?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Apr 14, 2012.

Where am I going with this thread? Well the other day a friend of mine who is a writer was quiet upset. Apparently she received a lot of criticism over a project she was involved in. It seems this was not the first time. She expressed grave doubts about her writing ability.
    Writing is a solitary profession in large part. Collaboration is the exception rather than the rule. So come time for honest critique,you have to take the bullet...no one else.

Have you ever experienced serious doubt as to wether or not you are a good writer?

Solved! View solution.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Apr 14, 2012 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've had the most trouble with the clients who have "done a little reading on SEO". They read something that's several years out of date, totally misread the piece and/or find material that is outright wrong. They then complain when what I give them doesn't conform to their "knowledge of SEO".

Some clients know a great deal about SEO and we learn from each other.

Other clients will know little to nothing about SEO and teaching them becomes part of the process.

And then there's those who just complain to get out of paying.

But the worst are the one's who have a family member or friend who is a teacher, professor, writer, web designer, marketing expert, etc who then critiques the piece. Their 'expert' may have a few valid points but they too often fall under the I've "done a little reading on SEO" category.

Oh, and then there's the client who has been working with a web designer/programmer. The site is really pretty but the code is an absolute mess in terms of web standards and SEO. Do you explain to the client why it's a very bad thing to have 6 H1 tags on a page and the same meta description on every page? Keeping your mouth shut cheats your client. Telling the truth often loses you the project.

It's all just the nature of the beast. Does it lead to doubting your ability? Sure it does. Does it mean your writing isn't up to snuff? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Remind your friend of all the times people loved her work. And tell her that with what we do, there's always going to be someone who thinks they, their cousin, their friend, their whoever could have done better. You have to show them why you are uniquely qualified to do their project, offer to do a small test piece (for a free) and be willing to walk away.

And, all that comes into play before we even consider personal taste.

Being a professional writer is not for the faint of heart.

YMC, Apr 15, 2012 IP
    Live2Write likes this.
  3. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @YMC
    Good post,I enjoyed that. In fact the advice you gave is exactly what I did. I reminded her of all the praise she has received in the past for her work. I also asked what I thought was a very relevant question. "If you are concerned about your writing then why do you have so many regular clients,and why are you under contract?". Then I added "Either you know what you're doing or all your clients are fools".:)

Spoiltdiva, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    By the way...

those two aren't always mutually exclusive. LOL :p

YMC, Apr 15, 2012 IP
  5. TWeber_TheSBA

TWeber_TheSBA Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that anyone that writes for a living eventually has to develop a fairly thick skin. All of us (well, perhaps many of us) have our moments were a negative critique cuts deep. You use experiences like the one the OP described her friend going through as a learning experience. You move on, and hopefully use criticism of your work to become a better writer. Or you don't work for people like that again and chose to find a better client base who will appreciate your hard word, dedication, and ability to write!

As to the OP's question....if I have any doubts regarding being a real writer or not, I look at my paycheck...I sigh...and I then I know! And then I think that I wish I was better at math and had become an engineer! I kid, I kid. :D

TWeber_TheSBA, Apr 18, 2012 IP
  6. ArticFoxx

ArticFoxx Peon

Best Answers:
    The criticism will always be there unless your friend is willing invest in his or her self mentally and professionally. I believe its important to work on your personal development everyday in the same way you brush your teeth everyday. Unlike so many who fail to continually invest in themselves. Thus doing that improves writing but more importantly in his or her case self-esteem and confidence.

ArticFoxx, Apr 19, 2012 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @TWeber_TheSBA
    I read your comment about "thick skin". Therein lies the problem. Many writers I know and have met feel very sensitive about their writing.

It appears they identify their own self worth as to how others perceive their writing. They take any feedback wether positive or negative,"VERY" personally.

@ArcticFoxx
    Daily output isn't always possible for some. I know some that simply cannot write if they are not in the mood. However paying bills and eating are good motivators,as is being under contract.

Spoiltdiva, May 24, 2012 IP
  8. zerocoolflo

zerocoolflo Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't got this questions for myself because I only write on niches that I love to write.

Basically as a writer, you have to write stuff that it's not so interesting for you.

zerocoolflo, May 24, 2012 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    When you write stuff that your not interested in(for money and to pay the bills) does this not make you doubt yourself?

In truth is that "true" writing, or just putting someone else's ideas into your words?

10. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not a day would go by without having to doubt my skills or wonder 'how come I write so stupid like this.' But then, there would be just one or a couple of sentences in the entire page that subtly says 'Go at it you can do it.' That said, the moment a writer starts feeling to be the greatest, the road to become better gets closed. It's just fine if you want to give up writing with everyday doubting, so long as you wont, isn't it? :D

Live2Write, May 24, 2012 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Live2Write
    Therefore you use occassional doubt as a tool to keep you sharp. Very positive way to look at it.:)

12. rafe_lovely

rafe_lovely Banned

Best Answers:
    now you can use different software to check you content are real or not.
    we add one tool at our site
    itsmyviews.com
    by using that tool you can check your content.

rafe_lovely, May 26, 2012 IP
  13. EvaBrown89

EvaBrown89 Member

Best Answers:
    There is such sort of customers that call you botcher, because you did not write for twenty-four hours 300 different texts about the one brand of car.
    In this case, there are little doubts about own professionalism. :)

I believe, we should constantly develop our skills. Sometimes criticism is very helpful.

EvaBrown89, May 27, 2012 IP
  14. Calorieman

Calorieman Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I have never had doubts about it. In fact, I just disable comments. The Internet was meant to be a one way street.

I am an American writer.
    I am a natural born English speaker.
    I will never accept outsourcing.
    I will always place my own projects first.
    I will never accept defeat.
    I will never quit.

I feel sorry about your friend. Doubt is the seed of negativity and an infectious one at that. So it must be destroyed before it spreads any further! When the doubt is planted, surround it and crush it with mental antibodies. Suffocate the doubt and free your mind of it's hold.

Whenever doubt dares to invade my frontal lobes, I remember Arthur C. Clarke, Piers Anthony, Ben Bova, L. Ron Hubbard, Tom Clancy, Orson Scott Card, Hunter S. Thompson, and so on. If all my childhood heroes could do it, if all those jokers could do it, then so could I!

Ignore the distractions, write away! :cool:

Calorieman, May 28, 2012 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Eva Brown89
    Criticism while hard to take at times,can be constructive.
    @Calorieman
    That was very good,you ought to consider a career as a motivational speaker.:)

Spoiltdiva, May 28, 2012 IP
  16. MrKeh

MrKeh Peon

Best Answers:
    People are always looking to get more than what they are willing to pay. They will buy cheap $3 articles and expect gold from them.

MrKeh, May 28, 2012 IP
  17. melanie.c.jones

melanie.c.jones Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find clients on the whole to be very supportive, it is rare that I get someone really critical. In fact, the only time I had a lot of criticism back from a client he implied my writing had a lot of "grammer" (sic) errors. I'm a native English speaker and he wasn't, so I just kind of wrote him off as a jerk...

melanie.c.jones, May 31, 2012 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Mrkeh
    I agree with your post,often expectations are unrealistic considering the payout.
    @melanie.c.jones
    You must be very talented indeed, if all of your experiences with clients are positive.:)

Spoiltdiva, May 31, 2012 IP
  19. blogzer

blogzer Peon

Best Answers:
    whether you are good or not. it's simple, you cannot please everybody.

blogzer, May 31, 2012 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @blogzer
    There you are...that's it! One ought not to take it personally. If a client gets critical then that's just the buisness you are in.
    Deal with it,my sentiments exactly.

Spoiltdiva, May 31, 2012 IP