1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you do build business websites for family? Does it cause problems?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Corwin, Jul 29, 2012.

I have a situation where I am managing a website for a cousin that is getting all his income from the website. It is a sales & service website, he sells and installs products.

The website is his sole sales channel. Without the website he has no sales, and sales are decent - he's doing better than me in this economy.

I've managed this thing for six years, working for free, paying for the hosting, almost slave labor. But when I recently asked for compensation for my out-of-pocket expenses I'm being called a bad cousin, disloyal, etc. The perception is that because I'm family I have to do this for free, period.

I've now taken the web hosting off my personal credit card and it will shut down in a week without payment. You can't believe the attacks I'm getting from family. I'm so disgusted at the shit I'm taking I want to shut it down.

Do any of you build websites for family? How do you handle issues like this?

Corwin, Jul 29, 2012 IP
  2. centsnag.com

centsnag.com Member

Best Answers:
    I dont blame you... If he expects you to pay the bills while he makes 100% of the profit dont do it!

Let the site get canceled from the hosting, then see if you can make a deal afterwords.

centsnag.com, Jul 29, 2012 IP
  3. Klar

Klar Peon

Best Answers:
    It sucks that you have to do that, but at least keep a backup just in case he wants to pay up.

Klar, Jul 29, 2012 IP
  4. Jestuh

Jestuh Member

Best Answers:
    I've done work for family and friends before but I try really hard to keep things static by talking them out of anything that would require ongoing maintenance. Since it sounds like you're way beyond that, I would recommend just saying that you are switching hosting providers and the new ones doesn't allow hosting additional sites (maybe without some premium upgrade). That way he has to look elsewhere or pay up.

Jestuh, Jul 29, 2012 IP
    Corwin likes this.
  5. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If he is making money on the site, then he's in the wrong. At the very least, I would have him setup a hosting account and transfer the domain registration. This way he is responsible for the hosting and recurring costs. If you're doing the design, then ask for compensation. Free sites for relatives are fine when they are personal blogs and such. If he's making money, it's rediculous for you to do it free, and he gets income from it. It sounds like he is just trying to take advantage of your generosity at the expense of the fact you are related.

jestep, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  6. MAT!

MAT! Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Family 'bonds' eh? That sucks. I would put that family in their place and tell them your not going to be abused like that. i am currently designing and setting up a few sites for family. But i wont pay for domains and host-ing.
    I am going to make them pay for that and be responsible for it. Sorry your being used like that.

MAT!, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  7. DaveInFL

DaveInFL Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, I've been in that situation with friends, and family. Let it go and let him see how he needs you. It burns me up when coders get little or no pay, it also angers me when coders offer things way too cheap.

DaveInFL, Jul 31, 2012 IP
  8. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Threats of shutdown worked. While I have control of the website, he's putting hosting on his credit card and we have an arrangement for paying my past expenses.

Corwin, Aug 1, 2012 IP
    robjones likes this.
  9. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good to hear you're getting some resolve. Sucks that it had to come to threatening shutting it down though.

jestep, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  10. dJpArx

dJpArx Peon

Best Answers:
    You should have asked for the compensation and your share from the day one; working for 6 years without any share don't make any sense to me. You must screw that guy and his website too.

dJpArx, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  11. MAT!

MAT! Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Good to hear. Hope he learned to respect you more for what you have done for him.

MAT!, Aug 1, 2012 IP