1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you combine CSS and SSI for basic site structure?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by BigEasy, Dec 13, 2005.

I'm a CSS and PHP newb - just starting to convert over from tables and ASP. In my ASP sites, I would create a header and footer file containing the main site layout and use SSI so I could quickly and easily alter design and elements common to all pages of my site (i.e. nav bar, top/bottom links, etc.).

Do you only use CSS to control site layout and edit your CSS file to make site-wide changes or do you also use SSI? I'm thinking there isn't a way to do it all through CSS if you want to be able to edit a nav bar, for instance, from a single place to update your entire site.

This is the way I'm imagining a common page structure would need to be... (I don't know PHP syntax yet so just bear with the header and footer locations)

header.php

<div id="content">blah blah blah</div>

footer.php

Code (markup):

BigEasy, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I build the page in html and css, then cut the html up into header, navigation, footer, and the content. I call the header, navigation, and footer in the content file using a php includes.

mdvaldosta, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  3. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, that confirms what I was thinking.

BigEasy, Dec 14, 2005 IP