1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do $X,xxx Adsense Earners Get Complacent?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Burta, Apr 10, 2006.

1. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely. That is what exactly I am doing. There are eight people working for me to develop the CONTENT. But I have not given any mangement things to them as of now. And every now and then some of the sites gets down due to bandwidth problem, cpu resources and all that crappy stuff. Even sometimes our dedicated server's are down due to some false copyright issues. I hate that.

How do other people who have more than 100 websites MANAGE their sites? when I say manage i mean:
    domain registration/renew
    email setup and regular checking
    whether all your sites are up (hosted in many different C class IPs)
    link Building for each of them
    advertising for each of them including link selling

jimkarter, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  2. LegalClipper

LegalClipper Peon

Best Answers:
    These 10K numbers are fantastic...wish I could get there myself. Sound really great people...

LegalClipper, Apr 20, 2006 IP
  3. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you keep adding working on your sites with dedication, that won't be far away.:)

jimkarter, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  4. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The way that they probably handle 100 sites is by having a good content management system that they have customly built.

I currently have 27 sites which is not mainly of articles. Most of them are all of different natures.

The only way that I handle running these is that I built my own content management system.

If I didn't have that then I would have now chance.

john269, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  5. FireStorM

FireStorM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those who gain much wont ever tell you :)

FireStorM, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  6. timecoderror

timecoderror Peon

Best Answers:
    I am just starting out, but read all these posts religiously hoping I'll have your problems shortly. I do see such diversity in the business strategies and management "problems". Will Spencer says he would like to cut back from 20 sites to 3-6 and concentrate on content. I think Shoemoney's family helps him.
    From where you sit now would you not have developed 100? Do you at this point get bigger by, as you said, " letting loose some of your management duties" or do you cut back the amount of websites? What would make you happy at this point since you obviously have good control over your career (judging by your success)?
    Again, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts so freely here, it really helps and inspires and congratulations on your tremendous success.

timecoderror, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  7. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    For me, I have completely failed to convince myself to reduce the number of sites in my portfolio. It turns out that I want to keep those sites for non-monetary reasons.

One thing that has helped my motivation is that I have broadened my strategy from one where I did almost everything myself to one where I try to subcontract as much as possible. I have become fairly interested in the "building an organization" aspect of this business. I have no full-time employees at this business yet, but even that may happen eventually.

Will.Spencer, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  8. timecoderror

timecoderror Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you Will, you answered my question perfectly and I am glad you posted because I wanted to ask you another question from the "what did we all make this month" thread. You answered everyone on that thread with such quiet modesty, aren't you just jumping up and down at $20,000 for the month? What an accomplishment! Those posts about 3 days ago have inspired me all week!

So the odd question that popped into my head was: where would you put a windfall of money like that (after bills are paid of course)? You used the words "my portfolio" in your last post which was really what I had been thinking. Excess money usually goes to investments, stocks ... some other type of "portfolio" to make additional interest. But I can't imagine there is a better investment or incredible rate of return than right here in your "portfolio" where you made it in the first place. Has that been an interesting dilemma? When the stock market pays 15-20% in a good year and your internet portfolio pays 2,000,000% I would think you'd reinvest your money here? Or maybe buy Google stock (lol)? Or, seriously, invest in your new company direction maybe?

I just find this brave new market place fascinating, where the soon to be virtual real estate millionaires are right here to talk to and learn from. I actually work freelance in a television newsroom and I am positive most of my coworkers have no idea this is going on. I've tried to explain it to a few of them and they look at me like I am selling snake oil. It's wonderful.

timecoderror, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  9. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    It's never a problem to figure out where to spend money. :D

I'm not exhuberantly excited because I've been spending more of my time lately with my first company, which has been breaking even for the last few years.

This web stuff is my second company, and I'm not too excited because it's taken 27 months to get to $20k/mo. It's been a long slow climb.

Much of the money will go into the third company, which is unrelated to either of the first two. :)

Will.Spencer, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  10. Moto

Moto Guest

Best Answers:
    As a site gets bigger (and therfore makes more money), the site ower will discover that there are other revenue sources available to them that pays more than adsense.

Each ad space on our site is valuable inventory. We want to give it to network that pays the most. Many big sites, Google is not that network.

Moto, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  11. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. As a site becomes bigger then you start to find better revenue sources plus you are also likely to get approached by a few aswell.

john269, Apr 21, 2006 IP
  12. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am trying to cut my management duties and putting them to my colleagues but failing every time. Yes. I am frequently cutting down the amount of websites and that is why you can see me selling a website every now and then here on DP or on other forums.

These days I have around 25 more domain names which I have some idea of developing but I am not developing them because of following restrictions:
    1. My small office cannot accomodate more than 9 people and we are already nine.
    2. This sandbox thing is discouraging. But it is encouraging also in the sense that it is asking me to add more content to my older sites than creating new sites. Is it good or bad?:D
    3. Again getting more worried about site management issues like where to host? should i go for another new shared hosting for different class C IP? means... another host to maintain..:(
    4. Little lazy too.

13. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. that is true. I always wanted to start a site which SELLS something. But I am not from USA. And, that factor alone stops me from doing that.

And, if you sell something yourself and can run your site well. nothing like it. Coz if you are advertising something for someone else what you get is percent share of it but if you sell yourself you get 100%. So again, nothing like it.

14. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I get the same problems with the amount of sites.

The thing that I do is instead of selling my sites, which I could never do as I can't depart with none of them as I like them all in their own different ways, I keep improving my scripts so that when I have to do a task it doesn't take so long.

For example, if I am adding articles. I have a script that automatically changes none clickable urls to clickable urls, put paragraphs in the article in the appropriate, check for validation, etc.

So doing my scripts better will mean that I will have less work to do myself as I am letting the scripts do most of the work.

Also, things like updating products, I would use a script that automatically does it and does it at a certain time, everday using cron.

john269, Apr 22, 2006 IP
  15. tdnetworks

tdnetworks Peon

Best Answers:
    Energy and life seems to get in my way. I work on the internet full-time but with all these video games and parties it's hard to increase my earnings so they just stay the same each month. The only time they increase is when I feel the need to buy something expensive like a new tv or something.

tdnetworks, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  16. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    At the moment the internet has taken over my life.

I have partied twice this year so far, which is down considerably to last year.

My love life has also disappeared. But once I start making alot more money then it will definately pick up again. Hopefully sometime in the next few months as I have big plans happening.

I still am currently make well enough money to life on, but want to make my sites go even further as I know they can.

john269, Apr 23, 2006 IP
  17. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This sounds a lot like where I'm at, at the moment. My University degrees have taken a backseat and are more focussed on passing than "achieving". My social life has been greatly reduced - that said I'm 21 and a lot of my mates are turning 21 as well this year so I often find myself at parties every weekend - but I'm not going out to town or getting wasted as much as your regular 21 year old university student that is going to parties every weekend would...

The love life is definitely slowed down - I still get out there from time to time - but I'm definitely not looking for a relationship right now and I make this clear to most people. The other big thing that has taken a downturn is my dedication to sport. I have cut back what once was a lifestyle where I was training or palying 5 times a week to what now seems like once or twice at most, and I recently went to nationals where I played terribly and I realised just how much I have neglected this area of my life, and like many people I imagine I'm promising myself once I get to $1XX a day that will all change and I will refocus my life, but I'm starting to doubt whether I will and if what I'm doing now is taking over my life?

Is anyone is teh same boat or has been? I'd really like to know if people have found that they have reached their goals and then found it easy to realign thier goals and lives back to what might be considerd "normal"?

Burta, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  18. corinaw

corinaw Not Banned

Best Answers:
    I love Will.Spencer.

To me, it all boils down to how much is really enough. Where are you in your quest for proving your personal worth? I am not unmotivated, but when is enough money, enough? How much of yourself, (and your children and family) are neglected in your quest to make a dollar?

I worked myself to the bone for a sw company in my area- I'd do it again, (I loved it) but sacrifices were made. I'm good, (really good) but personally have gotten past the point having to prove myself.

I just want to enjoy my life, my kids and my family. (But still contribute to the world and to my sense of purpose) In my personal opinion if you are making 5k+ per month (or whatever your goal), do not beat yourself up chasing the $$$

(Now that I am spelling this out, I guess 5k per month is my min-10k is my max )

Increase the $, as you can, but continually asses how to increase the $ while doing what you really like to do. Outsource the rest. Business is really fun, but only your family is left in the long run!

corinaw, Apr 25, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  19. jimkarter

jimkarter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm.. I think that minimum and maximum can be very different for many people from around the world.. for example, in my country the average salary is around $100 to $150.. so $5K would be much more for them..:D

So its actually great to live in such a place and earn in dollars ;)

jimkarter, Apr 25, 2006 IP
  20. corinaw

corinaw Not Banned

Best Answers:
    Very good point Jim Karter.

The cost of living varies greatly. Housing, transportation, food, and of course average wages.

It is fairly expensive where I live. It rains quite a bit and the traffic is a mess! (good thing I work from home now)

corinaw, Apr 25, 2006 IP