1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do these forums remove links?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Help Desk, Jul 7, 2004.

Help Desk, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  2. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    l0cke, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, links are not removed. It should be no different between the cache and live version.

digitalpoint, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    ThinkBling,

What are you talking about? I checked the link you gave above and the links are all active in the cached copy.

You have a very quick trigger finger. It's like the AdSense question you asked earlier -- all you had to do is wait. In this case, did you wait long enough for the page to finish loading.

compar, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  5. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree... I am quick to ask a question when I am presented with different results than usual. The alternative would be to be quick with coming up with my own unedjucated conspiracy. ...but then you'd have to call me Anthonycea! :)

Help Desk, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  6. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's correct, but drop the paranioa. Just give things a chance to work themselves out.

In any case do you see the live links in the cached copy now?

compar, Jul 7, 2004 IP
  7. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody was accusing anybody of anything. It was just an honest question.

What is happening was that Google cached the archive of Digitalpoint's forum. The entry in the SERPs is actually for the archive. The confusion on my part came when I clicked on the result and was redirected not to the archive but to the live posting.

Another question that I have is, can the archive not remove links? Maybe it would be better to ask, is it worthwhile for DigitalPoint to change this? I believe that the forums will not have any postings deleted for a long while if ever, but a live link from the archives could be helpful.

Please don't take any offense to this posting. If you are I'm certain that either you are reading this message to critically or my writing skills don't adequately articulate my thoughts.

Help Desk, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Any page could show links if you want to spend the time coding it. But the archive that is used comes with vBulletin, and truthfully, I'm not going to go out of my way to code things just so people can have more links (why not just add everyone's links to the footer sitewide if I'm going to do that? heh)

Not only that, I would have to recode whatever it is every time a vBulletin upgrade came out since the archive doesn't use the vBulletin template system.

The archive's primary function is to strip out all the crap so the search engine can find all posts (since they link to the real posts) and also determine what the posts are actually about.

digitalpoint, Jul 8, 2004 IP
  9. mxlabs

mxlabs Peon

Best Answers:
    personally I love forum archives just because of the fact that it uses a very simple, readable design so you can easily distuingish between ads (banners,signatures,..) and actual posts.
    plus there is a BIG FAT LINK to the real thread on top of the page, that should do.

edit: sorry for reviving an old thread, found it via the search and didn't bother to look at the date

mxlabs, Jul 25, 2004 IP
  10. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    It did seem like an honest question - I was going to jump on TB, but then I reread his post and it seemed that he was simply wondering, not complaining.

schlottke, Jul 25, 2004 IP