1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do sites like facebook do SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by forumwatchseo, Jan 7, 2011.

This question has been lingering for a long time in my mind
    do sites like facebook, twitter do seo.

I can understand now that they have natural links from all of us which makes a lot of backlinks

But on the first place

How did they become so popular?

I have seen sites having great contents but they are never becoming so popular.

By the way am running the website Forumwatch.org which discusses the discussions of online SEO forums

could you suggest some informative threads about SEO that are posted in this forum and would benefit the people in the field of SEO

forumwatchseo, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  2. lincy

lincy Guest

Best Answers:
    The thing with social media is getting people to see your content that otherwise would not have seen it. If more people see your content, then more people can discuss your content and possibly link to your content on sites that do pass link juice. So although Facebook may not have a direct impact on your rankings, there may be a very strong indirect impact on your rankings.
    FAcebook may not be a great SEO tool it does present an opportunity to find more prospects!

lincy, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  3. grill12

grill12 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah like to do seo on facebook and it will give you some referral traffic and social networking link too.

grill12, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  4. soman4u

soman4u Member

Best Answers:
    i don't think so they have done any seo before. They are social network site, They are successful because of their attractive and useful services. But i am sure they might have done something initially for the reach.

soman4u, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  5. Amy Garrizon

Amy Garrizon Peon

Best Answers:
    Fb and Twitter are great ways to get free traffic but correct me if I'm wrong but fb and twitter are nofollow links. So you will get the traffic but no juice.

Amy Garrizon, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  6. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You not seen the social network film?

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/thesocialnetwork.php

Sites like that simpley go at it with a completely different attitude, because their product is so good an people want it so bad and want to tell their mates who tell their mates who tell their mates, no need to do SEO as we know it.

johneva, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  7. iresh

iresh Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes face book do not give us any articles or free downloads , but they give us a service, service to keep track of our friends

iresh, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  8. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    no, they are not friendly to search engines

DoDo Me, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  9. shameem

shameem Active Member

Best Answers:
    they are totally different

shameem, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  10. avpower

avpower Peon

Best Answers:
    no, they aren't using SEO
    it's Virality, when people finds awesome things, they tell other people

avpower, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  11. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course they don't do SEO. They're popular websites that offer great content they don't have to. In fact if you look up the Microsoft homepage on the w3 html checker it will return like 200+ errors.

The fact of the matter is they don't need to do SEO because they do marketing. You see Microsoft products right in front of your face and on the television. You can't replace traditional media.

CameronHamilton, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  12. Kiranraj

Kiranraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sites like facebook, twitter helps to get visitors & traffic to your site

Kiranraj, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  13. Baby Prakash

Baby Prakash Peon

Best Answers:
    Social networking sites help in getting backlinks for your website.Facebook provide traffic for your site.

Baby Prakash, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  14. forumwatchseo

forumwatchseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and knowledge also on this post related to facebook I would like to ask how on searching in Google for any celebs name they have their facebook page listed in top ten how is it?

Forumwatch - The watchclock of all SEO forums

forumwatchseo, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  15. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Going off the searches I just done I would not say thats the case to be honest out of the 10 quick celeb searches I just did not 1 facebook profile page, all of them had twitter profile pages in the top 10 though.

And simple a page that is listed on one of the most active sites in the world is always going to rank well.

johneva, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  16. onlineprime08

onlineprime08 Peon

Best Answers:
    Most SEOs today use facebook as a part of bringing huge traffic for their site.
    It helps them well because as we all know, many people know nowadays uses facebook, not just as a medium for communication
    but also for business purposes.

onlineprime08, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  17. ramanpradhan42

ramanpradhan42 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can get free traffic from facebook and twitter, but facebook and twitter are nofollow links. So you can not get the link juice but can get the traffic.

ramanpradhan42, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  18. Alina Tru

Alina Tru Member

Best Answers:
    most of social networking sites like facebook, twitter, digg and many other have provide many useful services for users. So they not need seo.

Alina Tru, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  19. whoisbid

whoisbid Peon

Best Answers:
    I know someone who accidentally had a very powerful Twitter account send him about 6000 visitors a day to his parked domain. I think it was a typo and went unnoticed because the url was shortened and so no-one bothered to look at what the original was. This is what I guess happened. This guy got banned from the domain parking service who was serving up adsense because his zero earnings all of a sudden started producing lots of revenue. Apparently this kind of traffic was considered to be "unnatural". Old styles of getting traffic seem to be more legitimate to some people probably because they are literally older and come from an older internet generation. e.g. SEO and being extremely patient to get ranked on search engines. There is nothing wrong with old style SEO but it is possible it is being threatened by newer technology. I think that Facebook and Twitter are in very powerful positions and maybe the younger generation would be offended (when they get older) if they were told that their traffic (when pointing to other sites) is unnatural traffic, especially if they spent years building their followers. It would be like telling kids in the 60's that they should not listen to the Beatles or join Beatle mania

whoisbid, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  20. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think most the replies here missed the actual question...

Brandon Sheley, Jan 11, 2011 IP
    jitendraag likes this.