1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do people still use 800x600 resolution?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Tommy Arnold, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Neoseeker

Neoseeker Guest

Best Answers:
    800*600 Is a good size as it is viewable on most resoultions, I use 888*#

Neoseeker, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  2. dmi

dmi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some people are still using 800*600.

dmi, Dec 18, 2007 IP
  3. techrn

techrn Peon

Best Answers:
    Many schools or people who can't afford new equipment still use 800x600. So it depends on who your target audience is. Then again your site may be blocked by the school's firewall anyhow.:rolleyes:

techrn, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  4. elfreakz

elfreakz Active Member

Best Answers:
    in some country yes.. but most of them are government schools.. where they need to cut the cost, and use that resolution which cost cheaper :p

elfreakz, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  5. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I dunno if you're American or not, but in Europe and Japan, people would certainly be looking at a poker site on their phones. I see people on the train here in Netherlands all the time checking their email, playing games, and looking sh*t up in wikipedia on their phones. Assume the Americans will finally catch up once they decide on a phone transmission standard (roll eyes). People gamble when they're bored, and even Americans play with their stupid mobiles when they're bored too. Don't count mobile devices out!! And of course, keep Opera in mind then too... the most browsers for mobiles, I've heard, plus the Wii.

Stomme poes, Dec 19, 2007 IP
  6. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Dan Schulz, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  7. europeunited

europeunited Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm from Europe and I can't remember seeing a 800*600 screen at friends, net cafes etc in the last 3-4 years. Lately I'm less seeing people having even 1280*1024/1024*768 as many have made transition from CTR to LCD/TFT monitors that come with screen resolutions like 1440*whatever and 1920*whatever.

People who have the time & money to spend at a poker site like yours most likely have enough money to buy a solid computer monitor. Nowadays you can buy a 22" Wide-Screen TFT 1900*1200 resolution LG monitor for 200Euros as the price of TFT monitors has dropped. Consider a site version suitable for mobile-phones resolution as previously suggested you may get visitors via mobile-phone internet.

europeunited, Dec 20, 2007 IP
  8. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    And will those people be having their browsers maximized when they're being used, or will they have thier browser windows at a smaller size to allow for other applications to be visible while browsing (such as an IM client)?

9. europeunited

europeunited Peon

Best Answers:
    I know my friends decrease the memory-eating resolutions from 1400* or 1900* to 1240* and 1024* when working on demanding programs at the same time or playing games that demand 1GB memory for play if they do not have enough memory, but I am not aware of my friends decreasing the resolution all the way to 800*600.

People with >1400* monitors are likely to have provided suficient memory or it would have little sense working with old 250MB or so memory that was suficient for CTR 1024* monitors, memory prices has also dropped significantly. These are experiences I have from my friends and it's my subjective opinion that most people who play poker online have enough resources for beyond 800* resolution.

10. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Who said anything about memory? I'm talking about screen real estate!

11. europeunited

europeunited Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry I thought you meant on minimizing the screen resolution and I got carried away :) Poker sites are all about 'Bling Bling' like Las Vegas, banners are splashy, many sites are made in Flash, aimed to visually impress and attract people, I haven't seen any of them made in 800*600 resolution, I have a sports web-site and these are experiences I wanted to share. It's author's decision.

12. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually it should be the user's decision, not the designer's. As Web designers and developers, we have absolutely no control over what the user does with our pages.

13. saitek

saitek Peon

Best Answers:
    when i started creating websites i was thinking this problem and i decided that i would design a page to work on 1024x768...

saitek, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  14. Coolalex

Coolalex Banned

Best Answers:
    My Uncle is on 800x600 and on dial up which shows people are still back there.

Coolalex, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  15. walkere

walkere Active Member

Best Answers:
    Similar results here. My site gets about 1.5% to 2% with 800x600.

You got gipped. All my university computers had nice big monitors, with high resolutions =P

To the point, though, there are still some people using 800x600. It isn't a large part of the population, so I wouldn't go out of my way to cater to them. But you should make sure your site is at least useable by someone with a smaller screen resolution.

In other words, you can make it display best at 1024 x 768, but make sure a user can still easily use the site without too much scrolling if they're at 800 x 600.

- Walkere

walkere, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  16. Valve-Hosting

Valve-Hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, people do use 800x600 but a lot of sites are made at approx. 960x (to alllow a bit of room for browser scroll bars etc). people browsing at 800x600 will be more than used to apps/sites/etc not fitting well so my advice is ignore them.

You loose too much space for all the other users, don't let the lowest common denominator cramp your style and everyone else's UE. ;)

Valve-Hosting, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  17. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol... I do some work for a guy that is using 640×480... but I don't think you need to worry about him on any gambling site.

scoopy82, Feb 2, 2008 IP
  18. humanedited

humanedited Peon

Best Answers:
    lots of my friends still use 800x600 (older systems, not computer savvy). when they call me over to "fix" their computers, I try changing it to a higher res but they won't let me

humanedited, Feb 2, 2008 IP