1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do not use ipower.com !

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sgthayes, Jan 4, 2006.

A couple of days ago I wanted to register a domain. I searched around for some cheap prices and came accros ipower.com. You can register a domain for 2.95$.

About 24 hours after I registered the domain I got my login details. When I tried loggin in this didn't work. The domain name still shows as not registered when I check it using internic. I sent an email to support and am still waiting for a reply after 4 days.

Now i searched google for "ipower sucks" and was amazed at the results. It seems I am not alone. I should have done this before I registered the domain.

So I just want to warn you all : Do not use this company !

sgthayes, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    You get what you pay for... trying to save a few bucks just brings trouble

fryman, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  3. Momo

Momo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the heads up. This is actually the first time I've heard of them.

I guess it's better to stick to the 'big' ones.

Momo, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  4. sgthayes

sgthayes Peon

Best Answers:
    Indeed. I should have known that if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.
    Which registrars do you guys prefer ?

sgthayes, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  5. froinlaven

froinlaven Peon

Best Answers:
    I like dreamhost. It's probably the best balance of price and quality. They've been around for a while too, so you know it's not some fly by night sort of deal.

froinlaven, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    fryman, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  7. ajayr

ajayr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo domains is also good, they are still running their 2.99$ promo :)

ajayr, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yahoo domains mega sucks!!!! Their interface is horrible and I don't think you can even push a domain to another account

fryman, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  9. Pathan

Pathan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo! has also a good offer but with some restrictions.Thankyou for informing me i was also interested to buy from ipower.com

Pathan, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  10. goalkick

goalkick Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah thanks...I was going to buy a domain from there, at least I was reading the "features".

goalkick, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  11. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be sure to avoid them in the future. Screwing people on the net doesn't pay, especially when a bad rep spreads like wildfire.

tesla, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  12. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yep, i had a bad experiance with them as well.
    i regged one of the domains and couldnt access it for 48 hours, THEN i was able to login and change my nameserver info and stuff.

SUX!

ly2, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  13. guest

guest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep this is really helpfull.

I am undergoing a bad experience with one of the big server provider.
    Will let you ppl know if they fail to provide quality service.

I guess we should have a section for this kind of information.

Regards.

guest, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  14. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    MattEvers, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  15. themlife

themlife Peon

Best Answers:
    I registered a domain with them over the weekend. After about 18 hours there was no "thank you" email, and no confirmation email either. I viewed my statement online and I didn't see any new charges. For fear of having my my domain name snagged up by someone else registering it (i know, i'm paranoid) i used dreamhost (who is also my host) and registered the domain thru them for $6 more. It was all set up within hours and I was able to start on it right away.

Then, this morning I get an email saying my ipower account is set up. wtf?

do not use ipower.

themlife, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  16. causasui

causasui Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me start off by saying Im not here to bash this host. Im here to share my culmination of over 5 years of experience with this company. I want to make fellow webmasters and IT proffesionals who run small buisinesses aware that this provider is in trouble. There is no accountablility at this company, they grew too fast and you are never going to get any sort of "technical help" if your site is down or if your having any problems. What you will get is legions of cut and paste experts reading a scripted dialouge. That being said, lets look at the meat and potaotes of what prompted this post.

Today is 2/2/2006 I have a dedicated server with these people and I am a reseller with over 20 sites hosted with them. The dedicated server went down a day ago, and I have called and spoke with 3-4 "technicians" to get it back up. All they can tell me is they will try to "page" someone to reboot the server and then hang up. I pay $99 a month for this thing and was promised 24/7/365 monitoring.....its false. When one makes the decision to get a dedicated server they do so for reliability issues, I have clients to answer to, what do I? Bottom line. I move my accounts, I learn my lesson. Do not use these folks if you want reliable hosting and solid tech support. They will leave you hangin and not look back. I am totally at these peoples mercy right now and I have clients calling every ten minutes.

The tech guy who works in the dedicated server area actually told me that his day would be good no matter what happened once he got off of work. He honestly did not care and said there was nothing he could do to help...all he could do is send a page to some guy. When asked to speak to a Supervisior I got put back on hold for 20 minutes, after 1 hour of waiting only to find out, "He just walked out"

To make matters worse they changed a bunch of settings and protocols on their shared hosting (cpanel) servers without letting anyone know. This has completely disabled several of my clients ability to send and recive email. They have no answer and I currently have clients going on 1.5 weeks with no email service. Again, no one can tech the issue on their end, they give you cut and paste responses and there s no chain of command you can go through to escalate a problem.

I tell you these things being one of IPOWERS oldest reseller customers. I have had enough success to stay with them over the years but have also had several times like this and the honest truth is they rely on the technology too much. When everything is working well, things are fine. The moment there is an issue, of any sort, they completely fall apart.

If you want more info on any of these claims, or written proof in the form of emails let me know.

causasui, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  17. Nokia999

Nokia999 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes i agree ipower sucks.

Nokia999, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  18. texisman

texisman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just use godaddy. That pretty much sums it up.

texisman, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  19. dsm56

dsm56 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is quite unlikely that ull be able to buy a domain when it costs the registrar $6 i believe. So any price under $6 is likely to be a scam, the site would be losing money from it.

dsm56, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  20. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not necessarily, dsm56. GoDaddy quite often has specials on domain names if you buy their other stuff (I think they have one for $1.95 if you buy another product from them, for example).

And for $10, their Stock Photography CD isn't a bad investment. You're not going to get any 5 MB 600 DPI images off the thing, but I've used 100-150 of the images for various purposes. At $0.10 an image or less, you can't complain, right?

If they're a straight registrar, though, you're probably right.

GoDaddy rocks, though. And on the rare occasions I've had to call them, they have a support team that can actually answer questions and ultimately knows what I'm trying to accomplish. (In Toronto, finding someone that can do that is like Ricki Lake trying to find her feet to tie her shoes.)

AWD1, Feb 2, 2006 IP