1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do NOT go with Hostgator.com

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by ilook, Jun 21, 2010.

1. extremephp

extremephp Peon

Best Answers:
    I do Care about that. But just looking on to the server side, and resisting it, I replied So.

NO matter how it comes, Activated or Deactivated, They wont be propably do nothing if we arent using Fantastico. :)

Thanks.

extremephp, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  2. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I understand it's easy to deactivate and uninstall.
    However it's still unethical and illegal (isn't this simply "hacking" sites, as you never gave any confirmation for it? If so, it can be prosecuted by criminal law as it is a crime).

ilook, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  3. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've been seeing a lot more complaints about HG the past year. They may be losing their luster as a top hosting company.

RectangleMan, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  4. Ox2009

Ox2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    This's too much...HG tried to get free link & promotion?

Ox2009, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  5. MagnetiCat

MagnetiCat Active Member

Best Answers:
    The wordpress footer thing is disgusting, did not know about this. Does this happen only when you use their auto installers for Wordpress?

MagnetiCat, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  6. kpkumar

kpkumar Member

Best Answers:
    I dont have any experience with hostgator, but i saw all most comments(90%) are saying hostgator is good. I am confused again by reading this thread, which one i have to use in future, for my upgrade my server??

kpkumar, Jun 21, 2010 IP
  7. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I only installed Wordpress via Fantastico.
    So i don't know about other packages.

ilook, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  8. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just sent Brent an email, he will probably reply to this thread soon. Im interested in what he says also.

- Prilep :)

prilep, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  9. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, never thought about this case..(after checking my admin page)..I don't have those link, but i don't use hostgator. To me, i guess no webhost is perfect. You probably have that link and slow stuff, mine, is sometimes so annoying that i can't connect to my site. But it doesn't happen often. However it is still annoying and i come to conclusion, there is no perfect webhost.

KimiGermany, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  10. jani01

jani01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am really surprised rather shocked to hear all this BH tactics being used by hostgator. I do remember that one of my friend also told me regard this issue but later on this issue was resolved by hostgator. I hope that hostgator will look into this matter and will setasfied thier clients.

jani01, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  11. WebIntellects - Rob

WebIntellects - Rob Active Member

Best Answers:
    They are the biggest web hosting provider in the world and they just can't have every customer satisfied. I think there are a lot of other customers of them which can find them really good.

WebIntellects - Rob, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  12. nintsvn

nintsvn Guest

Best Answers:
    I was using Hostgator last year and I was irritated with their 404 promotion trick.Now this wordpress plugin is even more unprofessional

nintsvn, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  13. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Complete nonsense.
    Not a SINGLE customer is happy with such action, sneaky advertisement and backlink injection.

ilook, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  14. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    being biggest hosting does not give license to start playing some sneaky tricks.

aap, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  15. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with you. I believe every customer or potential user have a choice. You can chose any web hosting provider. Hostgator is not only one web host here.

~ServerPoint~, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  16. imi82

imi82 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My first host was hostgator and it was the worst choice! Slow, down all the time! After a month I chosen another host. Hostgator sucks I have to say!

imi82, Jun 23, 2010 IP
  17. joshloe

joshloe Peon

Best Answers:
    Good morning,

I wanted to clear up and answer some of the questions that are listed in this thread. I understand your concerns with the HostGator plugin that is added to WordPress installations that are completed through Fantastico on some of our shared servers. We first implemented this plugin a few weeks ago, there is no way that your WordPress blog would have the link inserted if it was installed prior to this change. We did not go through every WordPress installation and install the plugin, so that information is false.

This is only a few of our servers and we have changed the way the plugin is installed. When you complete the installation of WordPress via Fantastico you get a screen that shows you your blog address and how to login. At the bottom we have implemented a link that says the following;

"HostGator has installed an optional footer link that can be disabled by clicking here, or by going to your WordPress admin panel." You can click this link and have it removed automatically.

You can click the link and it will automatically remove the HostGator plugin. We are also changing the way this plugin is installed, we are going to make it on the front page of the Fantastico install so that you can opt-out before the install even occurs.

I want you all to know we understand your concerns regarding this issue and I hope this clears up the auto insert of the plugin a little bit.

joshloe, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  18. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't know how many hostgator server have this wordpress plugin magic, but why are you auto-installing any plugin/script.

If any customer is happy with Hostgator service, he will surely put your link on site and also recommend other friends.

Most people are noob, and don't know what is wordpress plugins, how it can be installed, how it can be removed.. etc
    They simply install wordpress using fantastico and start using it. They just want to keep default settings to avoid any problem.

Similarly, why you hack 404 error pages
    why you want every people to edit 404 error page.
    and again, most people don't know what is 404 error pages, how they are generated, how to edit it ..etc

By these hidden tricks, Hostgaor actually want to build some back links and gain some new customers from newbie users.

why you make things difficult for newbie.

aap, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  19. joshloe

joshloe Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

We are installing it automatically at this time, we are making changes to have this as an option to install the plugin or not before the installation of WordPress is even started. This will take away the automatically install of the plugin and it will be up to the user if they would like to have the HostGator plugin.

The 404 page is default on our servers, you can upload your own 404 page and it is taken away. In no way are we 'hacking' our customers sites.

joshloe, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  20. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It should not be like this.
    I bet 99,999% of the people does not want to give Hostgator free advertisement and backlink.
    You just pre-install it and then ask your customer (just as for now, did not ask it when i started this thread) "If you want to uninstall it then click here".

It's the same like a car repair guy change things on a car you did not agreed with and then when it comes to payment "oh, i also changed this and that, but if you don't want that simply let me know and i'll remove it or just remove it yourself".
    This is absolutely not done.

ilook, Jun 28, 2010 IP