1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do I really own my domain name?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by whitedovecleaning, Apr 28, 2005.

What more needs to be said. You go to a website and register a domain name. But is it really yours? Or do you just rent it out until you sell it or decide not to pay for it any more.
    SEMrush

whitedovecleaning, Apr 28, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    What else would you expect for $6? ;)

ViciousSummer, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  3. whitedovecleaning

whitedovecleaning Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats the point. W.S said whats in a name ! But hell if i go globel ( like coke ) do i have the right to my incorperated name?

whitedovecleaning, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  4. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    You rent it out for the number of years you pay for. NO ONE can take it, until you let it expire and get rented by some one else.

Nintendo, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  5. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Yes, you do. :)

ViciousSummer, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  6. whitedovecleaning

whitedovecleaning Peon

Best Answers:
    ok confussed now! (nintendo) I belive in what you say thats my problem!
    example coke.com( add others that are huge) they must have a way to insure years of marketing and tm name sakes stay theres and not fall to savey web gurus! and
    (vicious) you make a good point too. its my inc name why not own the domain if i legally pay for it. ( oh im so confussed ,should have read the disclaimer and got a attorney)

whitedovecleaning, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  7. Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard Peon

Best Answers:
    Because you only pay for it on a yearly basis. As soon as you stop paying for it (you do get leeway on top of your reg period) the domain becomes available to those web/domain gurus (such as myself) to snap it up if it is of any quality.

Lucky Bastard, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  8. Nintendo

Nintendo ♬ King of da Wackos ♬

Best Answers:
    There's NOTHING to worry about if you renew the domain again before it expires. You can pay for 10 years and renew it again. The ONLY thing to keep the domain from being your is if YOU don't renew the registration in X years. Nothing can stop you from having the domain for life unless you don't renew it before one of the times it expires.

You don't need an attorney just to register a domain!!! It's not that hard! (I got over 80 domains and the only ones I've ever stoped having were ones I didn't want any more, or sold.) With godaddy.com you can have them automatically renew the domain BEFORE it expires. You just have to keep your credit card info up to date.

Nintendo, Apr 29, 2005 IP