1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do i NEED wp-cron?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by izlik, Aug 2, 2014.

Hello

My question is simple, do i NEED wp-cron and if yes for what and what cant i do without it ?

My problem is that it takes ut LOTS of load on my server when it's runt even if i run it with a cron. So if i dissable it liek people recommend, what cant i do then?

izlik, Aug 2, 2014 IP
  2. KillaKeith

KillaKeith Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Taken from a post here:
    "wp-cron is a scheduling feature that handles things like database back ups, email or scheduled posts to occur at certain times."

It's just a matter of whether or not you need your site to do those things. If you don't need them, the simply add the following to the end of wp-config.php:

define('DISABLE_WP_CRON', true)

KillaKeith, Aug 2, 2014 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If it's doing lots of work when it runs then your problem might be with the plugins that are overloading it, rather than the script itself.

It might be time to review your plugins and scan their code to see if there is anything malicious going on.

sarahk, Aug 2, 2014 IP
    TIEro likes this.
  4. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    As sarahk said, it's not wp-cron that's heavy: it's the stuff it runs. There's a plugin called Crony Cronjob Manager that will show you everything in your WP cron schedule, so you can see what's kicking off and when (roughly). That should help you find the culprit(s)!

TIEro, Aug 3, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.