1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rules Do I get in trouble if I bring back to life an old thread?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mike30, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello,
    I was reading some of my old threads (2009). I found one with a funny question, I would like to bump it.
    Do I get in trouble for doing so?
    Thanks
    ~Mike

Solved! View solution.
    mike30, May 12, 2016 IP
    There are obvious reasons why bumping is discouraged. Can you imagine what would happen to the site if it were not? More than likely you would receive a warning for thread bumping. I advise you not to do it.

Spoiltdiva, May 13, 2016 IP
  3. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got it. Thanks
    This thread can be closed

mike30, May 13, 2016 IP
  4. beeljo

beeljo Member

Best Answers:
    "Duplicate Threads
    Do not
    create more than one thread to promote your product or service (this includes modified titles or content that still refer to your same items). If you wish to draw attention to a "buried" thread, create a link to that thread in your personal signature [emphasis added]. Duplicate threads will be deleted, and duplicate thread or spamming (5-point) infractions will be given."
    - Source: "Allowed or Not - [Quick Reference]" thread for which I am not allowed to post a link to.

I would assume the same could be used as an alternative to bumping.

beeljo, May 30, 2016 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Yep, only one thread to each aspect of your business (hosting, writing, programming etc).

I suspect @mike30 found something in the discussion part of the forum. Bumping up an old thread isn't usually going to work because normally the OP is long gone and won't be interested in your response.

Here's an example: List of TOP Forums with Marketplace forum !!!
    The thread was started in 2008 and was active for 2-3 days and a few days later the OP visited this forum for the very last time. The user is showing as banned.

Last week a user decided to add to it. After an absence of nearly 8 years, another user felt that the OP might be interested in further recommendations. While the post may have been on topic and not creating a duplicate thread it's clear that the bump is pointless. We don't do "lists" anymore but if we did it would be worth adding a year to the thread title to give a context to the recommendations. After all, good advice in 2008 might not be in 2016.

Another example: 16 Year old Indian Hacker released from Jail for eBay & PayPal Scams !!

I'd be fascinated to have an update on the kid now that he's an adult but that thread got bumped after 8 years simply to say this:

sarahk, May 30, 2016 IP
  6. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Which again goes to the point of locking old threads after X amount of no activity. Especially if the OP is banned. It would also prevent all the pointless posts on this forum (not all, of course, but at least some). In the meantime, I'll keep reporting ;)

PoPSiCLe, May 30, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  7. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I like to BUMP old threads man,

Its like reading OLD BOOKS!

Shit ( The internet in slang for me ) Was way DIFFERENT IN 2005

I like talking to the older guys and girls about the old days,

THEY REMADE the Karate Kid ( Horrible by the way )

Old threads should be a blessing and they are LOADED with information

I.E. EVERY GOOD THREAD FROM 2006 could not have become a "sticky"

So , There are LOTS of buried treasures here from people who died as well........

sundaybrew, May 31, 2016 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've noticed you're on a bumping spree :)
    You can read without commenting, possibly?

sarahk, May 31, 2016 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  9. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

I could IF - I will get in TROUBLE

I am trying to PROVOKE old members to come back and join the party - honestly - that is my plan......

I will STOP LOL

sundaybrew, May 31, 2016 IP
  10. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    In the last 4.5 years since I joined this forum I read a sticky thread maybe once. When someone resurrects an old thread, I automatically ignore it. To me the old threads are all like the dust from the past. No need to disturb it. I understand your sentimental attachment to some of the old threads, but, personally, I have no interest to go through them (and I assume quite a few people feel the same).

qwikad.com, May 31, 2016 IP
  11. beeljo

beeljo Member

Best Answers:
    That's why they have archives. :D

While I don't think it was as good as the original, I wouldn't call it horrible either. Just MHO.

Argh, matey. Just remember when going after that buried treasure... beware the Kraken!:eek:

beeljo, Jun 1, 2016 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
  12. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think there should be an autoclose script for threads older than "x" days to avoid people replying to obsolete content.

mike30, Jun 6, 2016 IP
  13. jv1999

jv1999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I miss the 3 kids who were training to be ninjas omg I had those movies on VHS and watched them when we were younger.

Idk about old threads, but I don't know why it's so illegal to bump them if they're NOT sales threads.

I mean there were probably some interesting convos back then.

Would've loved a 2012 bump when people thought the world was going to end (again) in 2015.

jv1999, Jun 6, 2016 IP
  14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:

Let me give you a Good Example

RAND FISKEN - MOZ.com ( HUGE NOW )

Well before he was anything just a guy yelling in front of a white board with bad lighting .....- He was in the THREADS!, taking and sharing his business ideas, that obvious worked

YES - FUCKING RAND HIMSELF!

There have been MANY MANY INDUSTRY GREATS WITH GREAT LINES AND IDEAS AND QUOTES

ANOTHER :

MY BUDDY Dan Shultz - passed away in 2009 - God bless him, BUT some STILL say that HIS THREADS where the best here to DATE !

SO...IDFK

sundaybrew, Jun 6, 2016 IP
  15. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Some threads get bumped and it is entirely appropriate and ok.
    Others get bumped and it's clear that times have moved on and any opinions from the start of the thread will be out of date and potentially dangerous to bring back up.

Then, there's why you've bumped. If you aren't adding something of value to the thread and just saying "thanks" or "me too" then your post is going to get deleted.

sarahk, Jun 6, 2016 IP
    sundaybrew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.