1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do DMOZ editors list their own sites?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by slaydragon, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    first of all, i see all dmoz editors are here to defend their money making way:D

dmoz has become a paid directory. if you want to have a listing on dmoz, you need to pay money to an editor.

there is a secret fee for having a link on dmoz.

@Qryztufre: first of all, you are the most clever person who DEFENDS dmoz but you are understanding what you want. this is worst side of you.:D

* The editor of the web site i have contacted was A META EDITOR. i have contacted him about a spam web site. His answer was

i will be more happy, if you have comment about this instead of strange math

it's very difficult to understand why you defend SPAM and bribe. you are currently defending that. i'm reporting a spam web site to the editor and ediitor says "We can list spam. We do not care it" . can you create a math for this?

trichnosis, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I may be able to come up with some math that may interest you, but please come up with some english so I can understand what it is you are actually wanting the math to be about.

I am not defending DMOZ as a whole, though I am saying that NOT all categories are as you say they are. Look at the category I was editing in. It was cleaned up by me, there is (or was) no spam, no competing sites were removed, all the sites listed belong there (though I do disagree with adding so many YAHOO groups).

So really, it is YOUR math that needs tweaking, you keep saying that ALL of DMOZ is bad, which is it not. Yes, there are some bad editors, some spam filled categories, and some very corrupt meta editors. Yes there are some paid listings, and yes, starting from the top down, many editors have their own sites listed... but these things are not always the norm as you seem to wish people to believe.

Point to specific examples, back up your statements publicly, and talk with a smile, you'll go much much farther. As it stands, your blanket accusations against the ODP are making YOU look worse then them, as you are the one not backing up your claims... I can show you several categories that have no spam and are working as they should (complete with not even having the listed editors sites there). Have you shown ANYTHING other then a few quotes (without a source others can see)?

All I am saying is that if you'd like to point fingers, have your other finger pointing to the proof. Your arguments will go much farther...
    Without doing so kind of makes you look like little more then a troll.

Now, I am not saying you are wrong, or what you've said is not true, just saying that it is your word against theirs, so come on, back up your side and you will get a hand up in the debate.

Best of luck,
    Q

Qryztufre, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  3. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think so, but I'd love to be convinced otherwise, why don't you tell us how you would determine if an editor is affiliated with a certain website?

winifred gray, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  4. npmfitness

npmfitness Peon

Best Answers:
    I applied to be an editor for DMOZ but I got rejected... There is no person editing the cat I wanted to edit. I am not a child and would actually take it seriously...Anyways..i have more important things to do like try and find a suitable breeding partner. Is it hard to get your site listed in DMOZ..I submitted my site but didnt get any answer or feedback...Maybe they just dont like me

npmfitness, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  5. Andyuk2008

Andyuk2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried submitting my site once but it didnt get added so i gave up :( If anyone here is a dmoz editor could you maybe give me a hand as my site is perfectly legal, its a video sharing website.

Andyuk2008, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    As this is a thread about editors listing their own sites, and not about editors listing other peoples sites, have you thought about joining the editing team of the ODP?

Qryztufre, Sep 11, 2008 IP
  7. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    so what is your offer? a meta editor says "I LIST SPAM WEB SITES" . what do you suggest ?

you want me to stop voice and start to say "dmoz is a great place and they do not list spam" ?

DMOZ SUPPORTS SPAM.

if you can take action to SPAM but you do not do it, you are a part of that SPAM.

that meta editor CAN take action to the spam, he does not do it.

note: i also wonder the comment of big mouth jimnobble. i wonder that he is a part of infamy or not

trichnosis, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  8. fireworking

fireworking Peon

Best Answers:
    So i would have to tell them that i am affiliated with the site? What if i dont? How will they find out. Please pm me about this.

fireworking, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  9. letsjoy

letsjoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is now Dead MOZ....no more use it...many editors make doorway sites too, to submit in their own category...also there's some paid submissions too

letsjoy, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  10. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    They can't find out. I mean if you give them your real name or something then maybe - otherwise there is no way to check.

Especially if you are just the webmaster of a site and not the owner, or if you're just listing your classmates, friends, family, etc.

People will insist that they have "ways of checking" but as of yet I have not heard of any actual way to check.

winifred gray, Sep 12, 2008 IP
  11. chanch

chanch Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think dmoz editors add their sites. Because i saw many low quality sites listed on dmoz.

chanch, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  12. gregc

gregc Banned

Best Answers:
    Not every editor is like that. I have yet to allow someone to bribe me. Been an editor for a while in the Graphics category.

People here have no idea what they are talking about. Just ignore them.

gregc, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

No one ever bribed me either... though, the topic at hand is whether or not editors list their own sites, and that is a pretty sure bet, as that IS what the directory was founded on.

Do you have a site listed in your graphics category?

Qryztufre, Sep 28, 2008 IP
  14. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did you list your own site whilst you were an editor, Q?
    How many of your competitors sites did you list before you left, Q? Just so we can see the ratio of competitors sites to your own, if you did list your own that is.

How did you respond when your site was removed when it went 404?

Anonymously, Sep 29, 2008 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  15. WebSolutions86

WebSolutions86 Peon

Best Answers:
    my site has never been accepted into dmoz. its authority for 3-4 keyword phrases which are somewhat popular.

maybe they want money, or maybe they just want top quality sites only.

WebSolutions86, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  16. livesol

livesol Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had no problem adding sites to DMOZ, with many of the sites going in first time. Do it once, do it right.

Plus I have qualms wiht epople who say it's effectively a dead site - if it was, why are there still so many discussions about it?

livesol, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  17. wussadotcom

wussadotcom Banned

Best Answers:
    Do they list their own? Hell yeah :p I would too..lol..
    DP Shawn even listed his blog fighting a lawyer company which I thought nice fight but wouldn't have been in DMOZ if it was another person..lol..

wussadotcom, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Oh, it's soooo good to see you are no longer banned. Sadly you did not take the time to contemplate there are more then just single posts within threads here... or maybe you just didn't bother to read the rest of the thread because you are out of the habit of posting here? I already answered your question...

How is that in any way shape or form on topic within this thread? Though, heh, I guess I can make it on topic... the fact that my site is listed within the ODP is proof positive, that editors not only list sites that are not theirs, they list sites belonging to people that most editors don't really care for...

Qryztufre, Sep 30, 2008 IP
  19. valterchaves

valterchaves Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course they do, but in private

valterchaves, Oct 2, 2008 IP
  20. Final Expense Leads

Final Expense Leads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Quite right!

If DMOZ will list Q, they'll list ANYBODY!

You tell 'em Q... :)

BTW Q, did you get a generator or something? Weren't you off the grid or subsistence farming?

Final Expense Leads, Oct 2, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.