1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do companies mind if you use their name in your url?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by matthecool, Jul 21, 2010.

1. gmoisescu

gmoisescu Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I"m totally agree

gmoisescu, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  2. neyola

neyola Peon

Best Answers:
    You can mail and call them if you still have reservations. none of the posters are part of Walmart's legal team

neyola, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  3. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    Big organizations dont like the use of their name (brand) in a domain what doesnt belong to them (yet). Like Facebook is very active getting those domains in their possession or just down.

They (the companies) spend time and money to make a brand. And you use it to earn money for yourself. In their eyes you are misusing their brand to earn money over them. If you ask me they are right.....

The best is maybe like others mentioned contact the company. But in my opinion you just shouldnt. What if your website becomes a big success in lets say three years. The big company probable forgot your e-mail/phone call and maybe do a law suit after all for what ever reason. You got nothing on paper, yeah maybe an old e-mail from employee at the helpdesk center (who isnt working there anymore). So at the end its them against you, guess what the odds are?

For something serious (long term) I wouldnt invest my time and money in such domain and website. To much risk beside that I think you can better build up an own brand which gives you opportunities. But if you are out for something quick not to serious I would give it a shot. But when you get an e-mail with warnings do what they say, getting a letter at home will cost you money LOL.

dennisb, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  4. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Some companies will challenge the fact that their name is in the domain since the company name is trademarked but usually it shouldn't matter.

zurpit.com, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  5. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd be very careful. You might be ok, but I know some are very zealous about it.

Steve Baker, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  6. going2oahu

going2oahu Peon

Best Answers:
    I would definitely steer clear of that if I were you. You spend all kinds of time developing a site and then end op getting the dreaded C&D letter - not worth it.

going2oahu, Jul 22, 2010 IP