1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do blogs make good money?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by odin93, Jun 19, 2007.

Do blogs make good money, i am thinking of starting one, but do they actually make good money.

odin93, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  2. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are a good number of people who will reply in the affirmative to that. If you have a quality blog, you can surely make $

gr8liverpoolfan, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  3. ichigo

ichigo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yeah they do especially if you have a high paying niche w/ little competition.

ichigo, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  4. odin93

odin93 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok thanks for the info.

odin93, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  5. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
  6. Crimsonc

Crimsonc Peon

Best Answers:
    Work hard, and look for 1 - 2 years before you're making enough to live off, IF you're lucky.

Crimsonc, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  7. DMO

DMO Peon

Best Answers:
    Well..before Blogger deleted all of my blogs, I made $300/month from 10 blogs.

DMO, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  8. kiviniar

kiviniar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yup, i make my money via my blog network

Lot of paid posting oppourunities and well its also very easy to maintain and update a blog

Just get a good PR and your blog will rock

These days i have give up on static websites

kiviniar, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  9. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I would suggest that you blog about what you know and like.
    You can't be successful picking a subject matter just because you think it's "Worth" more money, and odds are that 1000 people are doing the exact same thing on the same subject.
    If you blog (for lack of a better term) from your heart, you will have more success than if you blog, just for the money.

My blog is a good example.
    I still have never seen one like it, that covers the subject matter the way i do, and everyone keeps telling me I'm wasting my time because it's not a "big money " subject. But I know something they don't know, based on my 25 years of the subject matter, and they are only thinking on their experiences, and I have knowledge of it.

And it is starting to pay off.
    Write what you know and love. It is by far the only way to make a quality blog, with great content.
    You can create your audience.

hmansfield, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  10. stratorider

stratorider Peon

Best Answers:
    i completely agree; static websites are somewhat stuck in the past, i do have some tough, but blogs are dynamic and SEO friendly, especially hand written ones.
    To those just thinking to start blogging, blogger is a good option, but then think off moving it to a host account.
    For someone more advanced or not afraid to spend more time learning (and making mistakes, my case), just jump in wordpress.

stratorider, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  11. john_nyc

john_nyc Active Member

Best Answers:
    they will make money if you can generate traffic and an audience...it takes time so if you want to get rich quick it is not the best way. If you have a general interest in you subject just enjoy what you are doing, generate a good loyal base of fans and the money will come with it

john_nyc, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  12. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if you can find so many visit, every site can earn money

trichnosis, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  13. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    There are people making money talking about Love Birds, so i know anything is possible

hmansfield, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  14. lowco2525

lowco2525 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just know how much work and commitment it takes. It's not just a piece of cake.

lowco2525, Jun 19, 2007 IP
  15. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my experiences, it is very difficult. Tons of competition, and it is very difficult to get repeat traffic. If you have a specialty, that you can monetize, and have the know-how to get visibility (lots of patience, energy, and creativity required), then you may be able to compete in this very competitive marketspace. I think for most people, blogs are a good adjunct to an ongoing business (a way of marketing and advertising), but a poor source of primary income. You may be able to make it, but I would like to forewarn you that the odds are very long. There are probably more blogs making money by telling people that they can make money, than there are blogs that are actually making money. :)

Personally, I can easily make more money by spending a good day behind the counter of McDonald's than I can off Google advertising, but I have the ability to work at developing my site, and hopefully over the long-term (I am thinking several years), it will pay off.

Good luck!

Rich

richrf, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  16. webs

webs Guest

Best Answers:
    Blogging, in my short experience, is a very gradual process - but a very rewarding one. There is a lovely document about creating blogs and monetizing them by a very successful blogger named Yaro Starak. It is called Blogging Blueprints and you can find it here. I highly recommend it.

Going back to my personal experience, I currently have a full-time job but am lucky enough to do my blog posts at work and any editing after work. This gives me more than enough time to come up with quality posts. I use the weekends or days off to build bigger, more detailed articles (called pillar articles in Blogging Blueprints) and the two or three of these I have done have been relatively successful.

In terms of monetizing - that's all up to your smarts. But like someone else said earlier, you probably can't expect any good money for around a year and won't be a full-time blogger for at least two so it definitely helps to blog about something you love or you will lose interest very quickly.

Good luck.

Also, to HMANSFIELD - nice work. That is a really good niche and I think you will find some great success with it. Your friends don't know what they're talking about!!

webs, Jun 20, 2007 IP
  17. BLaZeR

BLaZeR Peon

Best Answers:
    Only a handful are ever successful, research research research!

BLaZeR, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  18. sdas

sdas Peon

Best Answers:
    Earn money from blog is not easy. It takes time and efforts. I'm making some money from my blog too. ;)

sdas, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  19. sharkyx

sharkyx Peon

Best Answers:
    To answer your question, yes you can make money from blogs and quite a decent amount if your really good. Getting to a decent level of earnings requires a lot of work/time, so blogging ain't a get rich quick scheme. Good luck.

TP

sharkyx, Jun 21, 2007 IP
  20. kathiroly

kathiroly Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can come up with an idea for a blog that can attract high traffic, you will definitely make money;:) guaranteed.

kathiroly, Jun 23, 2007 IP