1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DNS timeouts - host problem - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by geomark, Dec 9, 2005.

Baffled by the constant reports of DNS timeouts when I try to submit and verify sitemap. dnsstuff.com reports grade A rating for speed. No problems I can see.

But, I opened an account at another host and did a quick test - no DNS timeout error. So it is the host I'm using, and they have no idea why.

Looks like I need to change hosting companies. Where can I find a good comparison? Any good threads on DP (my search didn't yield a useful thread)?

Nothing fancy, a shared server with about 50 GB/month transfer for a nice low price should be fine.

geomark, Dec 9, 2005 IP
  2. ozegreatdeals

ozegreatdeals Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    If you like you can try my hosting for free for 30 days, then pay the monthy fee if you would like to continue.

I don't actually have a plan with 50GB of transfer but have plans with 100GB transfer for $10 USD a month.
    http://www.ogdhosting.com.

Drew.

ozegreatdeals, Dec 10, 2005 IP
  3. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the offer. But I already made the change. I spent some time at webhostingtalk.com and ended up moving to HostGator for my hosting.

Guess what? As soon as the nameserver changes had propagated I was able to verify my sitemap. No DNS timeout issue.

I'm very angry with Tmax. This problem was bigger than just the sitemap issue. When I had a problem with Adsense a while back (302 hijack resulting in Russian language ads, long story) the Adsense support guy said they were getting DNS timeout errors when trying to crawl my site (he was referring to googlebot not the mediabot). It seems that resulted in many of my site's pages getting dropped, big drop in rankings and PR.

geomark, Dec 11, 2005 IP