1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ's worst nightmare!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by anthonycea, Apr 2, 2005.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I am sure they have many Real Estate classifications ST, just pick those closest to what you do and submit, remember to keep the URL of the page you submit to or they will not follow up on it :D

anthonycea, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    TOOT this thread is about improving DMOZ to serve the community better, why do you think they did you wrong, they are going to read this thread as you know :)

4. web-rover

web-rover Peon

Best Answers:
    i personally have not had a problem with dmoz. When i submitted my site and was rejected, I recieved a very nice email explaining why i was not accepted, and what i could do to get accepted.

web-rover, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I cannot let anyone censor me. I don't believe I am lying here.
    I am in the business of customer service. If a client comes into my office and instead of answering his questions, I turn to my partner and talk about something else, would that be correct?

Those are suggestions, supervision is needed.

RZ has a private sections where editors can talk, it should stay there so the public area becomes more professional. Just MO

6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    What is your specific problem ST :confused:

The members here are not going to go and read a bunch of threads to understand this matter, just tell them in your words why you feel they did you wrong without linking to another forum.

Then tell us what you think they should be doing.

7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    It's not about doing wrong, it is about calling the resource zone a help forum while it appears to be more or less of a play ground. OneEye is very longwinded but he actually is making sense. You don't want to read thru the thread for the same reason I don't. There is no real information, just editors talking to one another.

8. Collusion

Collusion Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ editors should be cleaned out one by one. Just can them all and start fresh. They should do so many background checks on possible editors that you would think it was an FBI job. THEN when they are cleared of the possibility of corruption and self promotion they will be hired on a probationary basis. Does that help?

Collusion, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Not really, if you are going to fire the editors they need to be replaced with automation, Google does not have editors for their search engine :eek:

anthonycea, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  10. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    AfterHim.com, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is an international embarrassment and even DMOZ should be embarrasssed to be associated with that pompous ass Hutcheson.

You gotta love how they ban people who complain about the way they respond to polite requests.

You also gotta love spectregunner's sig:

Should we tell him he mispelled "avatar"? :eek:

minstrel, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  12. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I wonder how long it took to get "gunships.org" listed :)

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=gunships

Anyway, that is by far one of the ugliest sites I have see in a long time. Perhaps he was going for the retro look? It's so 90's man... Yeah baby.. Yeah!

Mia, Apr 8, 2005 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  13. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    ... unique

Blogmaster, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    6 months to review a site is too long. 6 days is too long. I would say every other day, or every day is the only acceptable lead time. These people volunteered, and as such they ought to adhere to the guidelines set out at the time they decided to apply and become an editor.

It does amaze me though that many have time to make dozens of post/day on the forums, but do not have time to give a yea or nea to a site that has been submitted. I'd be willing to bet I am approving/disproving more sites per day on my cheesy little directory than any single category on DMOZ.

What is shameful is the crap that comes out of the mouths of some of the editors. Very unprofessional, condescending, and in many cases just down right mean.

Mia, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    it basically is probably the ugliest community I have ever visited online and a disgrace to aol to have people like that on their team, 2 lines down or not. It is also plain unfair to list some sites in a day (I have seen it) and others after 5 years being on the waiting list (I have heard of it). Either way the forum exists because the editors we see the most on their like to vent and verbally abuse. There are only a few good ones you will ever see, the others would be too ashamed to even log in.

16. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I specifically like the sig by one of the untouchable editors....

Do not speak unless spoken to - gotta love that untouchable mentality. And what is worse? DMOZ doesnt care. Google, obviously doesnt care either.

I made some similar comments that were in the above thread over being refused as an editor in and unedited category. I had no reason to be an editor as far as personal gain, since my google rankings were just fine. I was quickly banned.

DMOZ is a big pile of donkey dung. Want to improve it? get rid of all that are involved with it and start over.

SportsOutlaw, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  17. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    This idea of a human edited directory in my opinion is only for small vertical directories, not something as large as DMOZ.

They should fire all the editors and replace them with automated submission and communication including submission received, submission approved or declined email communications.

The listings could be voted on by users and upgraded or downgraded based on the votes of the users.

What the hell, the submissions are all done online anyway, no editor does anything at all but approve the submissions, big deal :cool:

anthonycea, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  18. candysmith

candysmith trying not to be evil

Best Answers:
    I agree with Sitetutor:
    Professional and corporate supervision to start out. (VERY important - without this it will be a corrupt/biased directory.

Then I think ...
    EITHER
    1) a fee based submission (like Yahoo perhaps but not as expensive) human review, but they only add quality sites, no refund for declined submissions. If people were being paid a reasonable amount to do this, it would be a JOB, and not a bribable pasttime where they can act out their frustrations by means of favoritism and arrogance.
    OR:
    2). as you suggest Anthony, get rid of all the 'volunteer' editors and replace them with automation.

candysmith, Apr 8, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster and minstrel like this.
  19. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can already tell you. Once the conversation is a little negative toward there evil worthless empire, you will be Stone Cold Banned. I know..... :D

SportsOutlaw, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  20. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Thank you Candy. This makes a ton of sense.