1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ's worst nightmare!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by anthonycea, Apr 2, 2005.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! No... I mean the documentary maker... "Supersize me" or something like that.

minstrel, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  2. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Well he have this...

left                                      right
        <1-----2-----3-----4-----[color=red]5[/color]>

and need something like...

<1-----2--[color=red]---3---[/color]--4-----5>

Code (markup):

noppid, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You've lost me there, noppid. Is that from the Arthur Murray School of Dance?

I need sleep I think... :eek:

4. noppid

Best Answers:
    It's off topic. I'm not sober. I should go to bed too. But I'll stay up and finish the beer. I feel like crap already, I'll never notice a hangover.

That was politics regarding eariler references to the width of the line between poor and rich growing with some of the new bills Bush has passed. More screw the people and protect the corporations stuff. I'm a party member, this guy is too far right though.

noppid, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Ah. Okay. Thanks for explaining... that might have kept me awake wondering what I missed :D

6. noppid

Best Answers:
    That happens to me all the time!

noppid, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What bothers me the most about all this is that sense of self victimization and "we have no power" kind of attitude. This is circular without any progress. None!
    Going into RZ, starting something, Hutch will check your files and say "You are a spammer because you resubmitted after only 4 months, can't you read" and then the person comes in here saying "guess what happened today".

Sorry, but it reminds me of my dad's family, all government employees (postal workers) who always complain about the government (whether it is Bush or Clinton) and when it comes the time to do something, then they cannot be found.

There were people in here with great ideas and noone followed up on it. Such as composing a petition to AOL. Now who participated in it and took the member up on it?
    Noone!

But right away it goes back to this. The same thing done in resource zone where editors go into the section non editors cannot see (btw Will, that is where your thread was moved to, it was not deleted) where they share info about you and talk about what a spammer or scumbag you may be.

There is no solutions with this and it is seriously getting bad.

Resource Zone is the unofficial forum of DMOZ and the head editors (some of them) want to get rid of it but have no energy or time to deal with it.
    Think about all the little categories world wide, Timbuktu entertainment, whateverr they have categories for. All the editors who like doing what they are doing.
    It inspires people to become a part of something great.

Why bother with resource zone? If you guys want to change things, that is not a placce which will make any difference whatsoever.

2 months ago I started a lot and guess what, noone here assisted in anything other than saying "they will never change". The only people reaching out to me were DMOZ editors saying "we agree with you but change won't come easy." So don't give me that BS guys. Noone here wants to do anything but the same thing editors are doing in RZ where they vent their frustration about spammers. Here it is the frustration with the editors there.
    You, Will are new to this but many here are not. If you REALLY want to do something, call AOL Netscape. If you don't then how serious can you be about this? Doesn't it get redundant?
    I have edited at JoeAnt for 2 years and they don't pay me. So how much do I care?
    Well when I come accross a site I like such as this one http://www.legalsearchmarketing.com , I add it. I have added sites such as the seo guy forum, anything I consider useful compared to all the garbage out there.

Yes, threads like this do make a difference to some extent since people actually quote AC in threads like these
    http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=39405&start=125
    If you guys think the structure about DMOZ should change, which it does, then who is to be contacted? The resource zone? This would be the easiest way out but the answer is no. When having an argument like "they should edit instead of defending DMOZ" the other argument could be, everyone here should call AOL instead of bitching.
    A lot of editors are out there most of which have no clue what is going on in RZ. They have their little "Tanzania Wildlife" section which they are passionate about and some spend many hours a week and taking pride in it. We all know that the commercial sections are where the problems lie and especially in real estate (a very corrupt business to some extent) where the corruption follows it into DMOZ.

If you guys really want to do something, let's do it. If not, then keep up these threads but don't be surprised when noone else wants to participate. There are many DMOZ editors at DP, many you guys talk to everyday almost and have no clue that they are.
    Noone will want to be in the middle of this. If AOL reads hateful jokes back to back in here they would not even continue reading. In order to make a difference, first place yourself about the level of communication you yourself have a problem with.
    Otherwise find a strategy to make a difference.
    A lot can be done, but then again, maybe Google will drop DMOZ in a couple years when their own directory might come out. Until then what?

Blogmaster, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  8. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Thats Morgan Spurlock by the way

yfs1, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't think I said we have no power -- I said none of us are going to change DMOZ. I think collectively we do have the power to undercut its undeserved influence and I think that's a strategy that is far more likely than yours to actually make a difference.

What do you expect? If that person tried to say it at RZ, the thread would be locked and/or the member banned.

Including you?

I didn't actually see that petition. Why didn't the member who suggested it initiate it? Not that I have a lot of faith in AOL either...

My point exactly. You can't repair it or change it. Nuke it and start again. The rot is too deep.

Some buildings can be restored. Some can be gutted and rebuilt from the foundation. Some are just too far gone -- with those, you blow them up and start again. That's DMOZ.

Maybe. But it's clear that DMOZ isn't it.

Except AOL isn't the answer -- Google may be because they actually seem to care. And the Google execs actually have a brain.

Characterizing yourself as a lone crusader and the only one who has the balls to do anything except whine is rather insulting. And to characterize Will as a newcomer is equally insulting. Your campaign with DMOZ is pretty new too which I suspect is the reason you still think you can fix it.

The question you have yet to answer is this: If you think your editor friends have the will and the power to shut down RZ and make the necessary changes to AOL, why have they not done it? It's not like what's going on there is anything new...

AOL has done nothing about DMOZ since 1999. Why do you think they care about it now?

DMOZ only has one reason for existing now and that's the (declining) feed to Google. Drop that completely and DMOZ crumbles into ashes. If you really want to do something, contact Google -- expose the rot -- lobby to have the DMOZ feed dumped. Voila: no more DMOZ.

Interesting. But incorrect. Start a DMOZ thread on any forum anywhere and it lengthens to several pages within a few days. I don't see that as evidence that "noone else wants to participate".

Again, the insulting assumption that only you are in the know. I do know some editors and ex-editors, FYI. So what?

minstrel, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Wrong and written in the style of the RZ. One by one:

Characterizing yourself as a lone crusader and the only one who has the balls to do anything except whine is rather insulting.

No I am not - but AOL treats complaints as isolated incidences since not enough people complain.

And to characterize Will as a newcomer is equally insulting. Your campaign with DMOZ is pretty new too which I suspect is the reason you still think you can fix it.

Will is a newcomer to the group of people having a major issue with DMOZ.

The question you have yet to answer is this: If you think your editor friends have the will and the power to shut down RZ and make the necessary changes to AOL, why have they not done it? It's not like what's going on there is anything new...

for the same reason you haven't and noone else seems to want to.

AOL has done nothing about DMOZ since 1999. Why do you think they care about it now?

because they don't want to deal with it, why would they unless enough people do something.

DMOZ only has one reason for existing now and that's the (declining) feed to Google. Drop that completely and DMOZ crumbles into ashes. If you really want to do something, contact Google -- expose the rot -- lobby to have the DMOZ feed dumped. Voila: no more DMOZ.

no, DMOZ is now being valued more and more by Google. Doesn't mean it will continue to go up but there will be 1000s of more DMOZ threads and to be honest, I would never show them to an AOL employee. Reading thru this will make them take the editors side even more.

And how do you know AOL doesn't care? Talk to them - they do care but they have other priorities than some isolated incidences

Again, the insulting assumption that only you are in the know. I do know some editors and ex-editors, FYI. So what?

I don't know anything but enough to see that noone wants to communicate with the other side but only with each others.

11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    btw I am not pro DMOZ and not anti DMOZ. I am pro communication. There are good people here and in there but somehow there is so much BS in between that they will not connect.

12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Okay. I think you're right, sitetutor. You should stay out of threads like this one and go back to RZ to fight the war there.

You're just not getting it and the stress is starting to show -- that last post doesn't even make sense.

13. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Fair enough I'm out. My post behind yours pretty much summed it up.

14. jim

jim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, the problems are everywhere. I've been waiting 2 years or so for my link in the ESL section to be updated. After 6 months or so I figured they needed help since nothing ever changed (well the last updated date changes a lot, but nothing else ever does). So I applied to become an editor. They turned me down, but not because of anything in my application. They said it was "way too big" a category for a new editor. OK, then why have the apply to edit link on the page?

jim, Apr 21, 2005 IP
  15. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Now I am wasting my time with this BS again.
    Jim, true, it is a game. Do you need help or not?
    Like having a help wanted sign in a store and when you ask for an application they say "sorry, we're not hiring".
    Well, I hope that things will change - my previous post btw was in response to some ppl here calling me a sell out for taking DMOZ's side for a change. If you are not able to look at both sides, you are a part of the problem and not the solution.

Maybe these threads can make a difference who knows - but I know one thing, they remind me of the resource zone wars I once was in.

Now when attacking me consider what they would do to an editor who would take an Anti DMOZ side in the RZ ?

16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Tutor, if you're feeling attacked it's because you are trying to tell the rest of us that your way is the only way. As I've told you several times, I disagree -- feel free to pursue the course of action you think is best -- I personally think your strategy is futile but I'll be more than happy to be wrong on this one. In the meantime, you'll probably feel less attacked if you stop trying to tell the rest of us that we should be doing the same as you.

17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Fair enough. The way DMOZ is running is bad - but I am not sure if this is going to help. The hard part is having something created that Google will consider worthy of replacing DMOZ. Maybe Anthony can finally deliver his promise with his directory ...

18. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I concur.

I am not a good victim. I also do not tend to enjoy it.

I very much appreciate all of the ideas I see here for destroying the evil empire that is DMOZ.

At this point, I do not yet know what set of strategies I will follow. In addition to those mentioned here, I also have a stack of ideas of my own.

As Jimmy Buffet says, "If you decide to run with the ball, just count on fumbling and getting knocked down a lot, but never forget just how much fun it is to run with the ball."

I see no reason to be on the defensive with DMOZ. There is no fun to be had on the defensive. Joy is only to be found on the offensive, so that is where I intend to be.

Some people get ulcers, other people give them. Remember -it is better to give than to receive. :D

I bet they sure are making some witty replies in my absense! :rolleyes:

Especially since they banned my Resource Zone account and moved or deleted every single thread I ever started there.

Will.Spencer, Apr 21, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster and minstrel like this.
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    funny stuff!

20. noppid

Best Answers:
    There is a bottom line here. If google is so goddamn great and is worth $200 a share, WTF do they need the DMOZ for?

I say it's collusion amoung the big 3 and we WILL see a huge SEC investigation one day. We will find out how much we lost as publishers and then we again as taxpayers will have to foot the legal bill and lose again. The execs at google and the stock holders will all be laughing as they land safely on golden parachutes.

Date this and book mark it.

noppid, Apr 21, 2005 IP