1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by kc3, Dec 24, 2004.

1. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    LMFAO .. GEM, do you have an answer? :D
    SEMrush
    I've done my fair share of slagging off DMOZ for inserting my site to the wrong category, but the fact that no one searches DMOZ other than webmasters I've put it to the back of my mind..

More important things to worry about.

DarrenC, Dec 27, 2004 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I heard a nice little bit of information today from the National Association of Realtors. Their attorneys are looking into the fact that the Dmoz directory is listing some real estate websites with the description as being a Realtor when some of these people are not and the term can not be used as a description.

This came from the admin from NAR for Trademark Infridgement. If this is true which I believe it is, DMOZ will have a whole lot of cleaning up to do within the directory. So this will increase wait times for new submissions.

Las Vegas Homes, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  3. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    That will be interesting as DMOZ is not the "internet police". There was a thread at RZ a while ago to do with the listing of UK finance sites that did not have the appropriate government licence (there were lots of sites) - I can't find the thead, but my recollection was that the DMOZ editors had no way to verify licence status (or whatever its called)... ie they not the "internet police" and listed sites based on content

Birdie, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  4. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    This is true they are not the internet police, but an editor that is editing a certain CAT needs to be aware of regulations pertaining to listings that may go in that CAT.

Real estate doesnt have a lot of regulations pertaining to websites other than those associated with the use of the word Realtor. If a Realtor was the editor for that CAT then I am sure that they would be aware of this, but most Realtors or real estate agents are not that web savvy.

5. tvbuzz

tvbuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    for getting into DMOZ -- I recommend submitting to your local area first .. for example .. if you are located in Ocala, Florida -- try submitting your site to that section first.

tvbuzz, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  6. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    My recollection from the thread at RZ, was this was not the responsibility of a DMOZ editor.

Birdie, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  7. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I dont know if it is or not, but one would think it should be IMHO for some CATS.

8. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Non regulated UK Financial organisations is a very good example in which companies sell insurance to people when they are not accredited with the appropriate license from the financial bodies, for travel insurance this has caused no end of problems in recent years.

IMO DMOZ should not be listing sites that are not regulated, but then you could also say that about Google, MSN, Yahoo and every other directory and search engine in the World.

You can tell straight away if the site is regulated by the Financial body, but stopping these non regulated sites to get listed on Google, etc is near impossible, so I can understand DMOZ's stance on this one.

DarrenC, Dec 27, 2004 IP
  9. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep..PATHETIC...2000 sites added...out of 66,000 editors
    (who probably joined just to list their OWN sites..and then went for a beer)
    2000 from 66,000,,,thats about 3%....good job they ARE doing it for free...if it was a business they would be fired !!...thats about 64,000 people doing nothing !!
    they should definately have a policy to add a certain amount of sites...or get booted from 'editorship'

...there's more DMOZ backlog the the NHS !....the sooner the search engines discount dmoz the sooner it will devolve into nothing..lets hope thats soon!
    i rest my case

Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  10. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    GEM, you sound bitter.

I wonder if you would feel the same if your site was submitted. Like Birdie mentioned, 66,000 editors and many of them will no longer be active, maybe if you paid them they would be able to get more active editors?

I've given my fair share of critism to DMOZ, and I think alot of it is warranted, but when people are working in their spare time, for free then we cannot be too critical of the editors.

DarrenC, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  11. Solicitors Mortgages

Best Answers:
    nah..i wouldn't be bitter over something so trivial...i no longer wish or expect my site to be listed as i have in excess of 400 affiliate programs to add ;)..which will all provide depth and choice to my users, and purchasing opportunities not found on other sites ~heaven forbid~!!!

paid or unpaid...is NOT the question ....does that sound Shakesperian?..the point is its a p*** poor performance by DMOZ
    and shouldn't be '66,000 people working for free'...but 66,000 NOT WORKING AT ALL !!
    the people who run dmoz couldn't pour p*ss out of a wellington if the instructions were on the heel !

;)

12. kc3

kc3 Peon

Best Answers:
    kc3, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  13. Solicitors Mortgages

Best Answers:
    it makes money indeed...and more to the point the visitors are rolling in..and so are the advertisers, with 18K pages now in google..its popping up all over the place

14. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    duh? - did you not read what I posted? DMOZ does not have 66 000 current editors!!!

BTW - most are busy people. Some are so busy, deleting all the spam and scams .... hint hint ? What about your submision of a mirror site??? Is that not PATHETIC?

Also, If I volunteer at a soup kitchen one day a month, am I being lazy if I do not volunteer two days a month? If a volunteer editor lists one site a month, are they being lazy for not listing two sites a month? - that one listing has increased the value of DMOZ - it has added value.

You have a very serious misunderstanding of what DMOZ is, how it works and volunteer systems.

You can keep being bitter and twisted, because *YOUR* site is not yet listed or is not listable and DMOZ will keep on being the biggest and fastest growing directory.

Birdie, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  15. Solicitors Mortgages

Best Answers:
    << What about your submision of a mirror site??? Is that not PATHETIC?>>

erm....i haven't got a mirror site.

<<You can keep being bitter and twisted, because *YOUR* site is not yet listed>>

I am not bitter<period>...... I just formed an opinion of DMOZ......and posted it here.
    Its my personal opinion...and others can have their own :)
    I respect your support for it....

with regards to <<deleting all the spam and scams .... hint hint ?>>
    GET LOST !!...there's no spam.. scam ..pop-ups ..diallers..or anything untoward about my site...not even a mirror site,you plank !

16. kc3

kc3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know, I love the internet. FindMyWebHost.org is my first website meant for profit. I'm 17 and making a killing! I love the internet! lol

kc3, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  17. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    MIRRORS:
    http://www.justoneuk.com/ & http://www.just1uk.com/

Thats called spam.
    Google should soon get you for the duplicate content too....
    Really? 2 mirrors is spam!!! LOL

Birdie, Dec 28, 2004 IP
  18. Solicitors Mortgages

Best Answers:
    that is NOT mirror sites...mirror sites are duplicate content sites with seperate ip's...hence MIRROR

are you suggesting that if you own widget.com and widget.co.uk
    that you can only use one??? WRONG

RE:<<Thats called spam.>>
    i think you need to review your concepts of spam.
    the site is not spidered under/ or found in serp's or cache's for any other name apart from justoneuk<period>

19. Solicitors Mortgages

Best Answers:
    good for you,, we are slightly different in the fact that we are set up to offer cheap advertising services...and information thoughout the UK

..although unlike DMOZ, we are vigerously adding content to fill our 28K pages ;)

20. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    Really?

As far as DMOZ is concerned they are mirrors

You have the same content at both the URL's - that is what makes them mirrors - nothing to do with the ip address

Anyone can click on the two urls I listed above and see the duplicate mirrored content .... its not rocket science

Birdie, Dec 28, 2004 IP