1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ, trying to list in a category with no listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by chiefshuddle, Dec 29, 2005.

Hopefully there's an editor or someone here that can answer this question.

I just submitted a new site of mine to DMOZ this morning.

While looking to find an appropriate category the most appropriate one had 0 listings in it.

The site I submitted is http://www.computernetworkinghelp.com

The category I submitted to was: http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Data_Communications/Support/

If nothing is listed in there does that mean that nobody is editing it or that I have little change of it being seen?

Thanks,

chiefshuddle, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  2. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Answer to both parts of this questions is: No.

Because an empty category is not normal I checked this situation.
    This has always been a small category. The few sites that were listed aren't operational anymore.

pagode, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  3. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    Great, thanks a bunch.

I thought it was highly unusual to have an empty category in DMOZ and was afraid this one was somehow overlooked, even though it seemed to be the most obvious category for my new site.

Thanks again,

4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    As a general guideline, a category is not created unless at least three sites can be put there. However, if those sites later on cease to exist and are removed, the category is usually left there - the rational being if three sites existed in the first place, there will probably be more in the future.

As long as there is a suggest a site link on the category you can send in more sites for possible inclusion,

Conversly there will be categories that have many sites listed, but have no "suggest a site" - that could be because of re-organization, or to force suggestions to sub-categories.

macdesign, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  5. chiefshuddle

chiefshuddle Banned

Best Answers:
    Great, thanks for the info.

6. best-p4u

best-p4u Peon

Best Answers:
    You can see this text on the bottom of the catatory

"Volunteer to edit this category "

I think this catatory doesn't have a editor.

best-p4u, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  7. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually it's best to ignore that. (There has been some attempt to have it removed since it is a source of confusion)

It just means there is no named editor.

But in fact every editor in every category above it, and around another 200 senior editors are able to edit there.

The majority of work of editors is done in categories where there is no named editor

I have several categories where there are no longer any sites, (since I removed dead ones_ but I am not named on any of them. If a site would ever get submiited to one of those categories - it would get reviewed fairly quickly either by me, or someone above me, or by a senior (editall) editor.

macdesign, Dec 29, 2005 IP