1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ troubles

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by David's New York Deli, Nov 26, 2005.

1. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm. Not sure about that one. Relevance to the geographical locality is important and this looks like an online service to me. Unless it is for students in Menlo Park. It is probably one I would throw out to other editors for opinions if I came across it in reviewing sites.

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=college+counselor tells you where similar sites have been listed. Some have been listed in Regional at the level they are relevant to rather than where they are physically located (except one), which is a variation on the general Regional practice. You'll notice none listed at a US national level though. The Reference branch category looks favourite. You could try finding a suitable US level category or go for your locality - no guarantees on either though.

brizzie, Nov 27, 2005 IP
    Caveman likes this.
  2. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't submit to regional unless you also offer a walk-in service or employ heavily in the area.

Looks like an interesting site - I took some time to read about the differences between the SAT and ACT (never took either :) - went to college as an old person so didn't need them).

A quick look shows that it might fit into Reference/Education/Colleges_and_Universities/Admissions/Counseling_Services/

Edited to add - I shouldn't have looked at the site so long - looks like Brizzie answered the question first :D

lmocr, Nov 27, 2005 IP
    Caveman likes this.
  3. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like we were checking this out at the same time and came to the same conclusion...it's a tough one. ;)

IMO, you should forget about a Regional listing and concentrate on finding the proper Reference category. Since I don't edit much in Reference I can't give a reliable opinion, but I notice you have an affiliation with www.collegeanduniversity.net which isn't necessarily going to mean you'll be declined, but could weigh in. On the other hand you also have a lot of (apparently) original informational content which could very well outweigh the affiliate content to justify a listing.

macdesign is a semi-regular poster here. I believe he's much more familiar with this area. If he choses to offer an opinion, his will likely be the most reliable.

Edit: LOL @ lmocr. I got wraped up in reading too... I could get so much more editing done if I could resist reading everything. :D

compostannie, Nov 27, 2005 IP
    Caveman likes this.
  4. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    That could be a little misleading IMO. Some sites without a walk-in service that have a geographical relevance can be listed in Regional, even in this sector. There is a geographical relevance here isn't there? To the USA? Whereas the Reference branch should contain relevant sites from anywhere in the world.

What is the nature of this affiliation. Is the site designed around it? Sorry I didn't look close enough!

brizzie, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  5. David's New York Deli

David's New York Deli Guest

Best Answers:
    the affiliation is a temporary one for a new service we're offerring to high school grads. our original demographic, current high school students, has no affiliation with collegeanduniversity.net. It is a unique college matching service run completely by us. Our new service will soon be launched and we will be eliminating our affiliation with collegeanduniversity.net...is this temporary affiliation a bad thing for us?

David's New York Deli, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  6. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Possibly it might be bad. If it appeared the site was designed around it. When the new service is there I would submit again if the site has not been listed by that time. Just in case it has been rejected because of the affiliation. But explain first up in the description field in [square brackets] that you have discontinued the affiliation. Once a site has been noted as an affiliate it is very difficult to get a second bite of the cherry otherwise.

brizzie, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  7. David's New York Deli

Best Answers:
    where do you draw the line in terms of submitting to DMOZ too many times though? how long should I wait before resubmitting?

8. David's New York Deli

Best Answers:
    by the way, thank you all for your help!

9. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Once in a topical branch, once in Regional, in both cases only if the site fits and meets the guidelines. Is there a Kids and Teens category for this subject? I don't know but if there is then once there too. But that is it.

Once a site has been received it doesn't expire - a second submission to the same category will overwrite the first and reset the submission date. It is only worth doing this is the site changes in any material way.

brizzie, Nov 29, 2005 IP
  10. David's New York Deli

Best Answers:
    awesome. thanks brizzie

David's New York Deli, Nov 29, 2005 IP