1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Top Listed DOmains

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by dvduval, Jul 4, 2005.

1. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    no site needs 231,000 listings - I mean, come on.

How many sites were stuck waiting to be reviewed while editors were listing CNN 231,000 times?

joeychgo, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  2. tzimisce

tzimisce Guest

Best Answers:
    This is a similar situation to what would be my catagory. I happen to be direct compitition to the editors site.

tzimisce, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  3. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

sounds like he got fired

joeychgo, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  4. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Editors who voice their own opinions without prior approval tend to.

Blogmaster, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  5. tzimisce

tzimisce Guest

Best Answers:
    Does anyone else find it funny how quickly these "DMOZ" threads fill up. Such pent up hostility.

tzimisce, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  6. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking the same thing - then I realized, ive made like 5 posts - and im not hosile at all -

joeychgo, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I've gotten fired before, but those were jobs. Getting fired from a volunteer position makes me laugh.

8. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can! :)
    I was starting to feel lost in the shuffle at DMOZ anyway. As you can see, there are editors who must be adding sites for a living practically, and that is not my game.

dvduval, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I think it is all about issues that have been in existance for too long and never gotten resolved. Everyone has a lot to say. We have all spent ample time listening to DMOZ editors lecture us about the guidelines while seeing inconsistencies within their own behaviour.

10. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    The Romans kept the frustrated poulation under control by letting them have colliseums - there they could vent their anger without bothering the government. Occassionly toss in someone to be killed in public. Then everyone went home happy, without realizing that they have no control about what is happening around them..

It seems there is a correlation with this forum.

macdesign, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  11. tzimisce

tzimisce Guest

Best Answers:
    I couldnt agree more.

tzimisce, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    So who are you? You are here? You seem to participate in every DMOZ thread in here.

13. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep! If there is one person in this forum agreeing, then how many more are there that have no voice?

No, I quit...LOL :)

I speak my mind and it feels good. I don't live in closed universe.

Me too! :) (but others who have financial interests are not laughing. ;)

dvduval, Jul 4, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  14. ethical

ethical Peon

Best Answers:
    We'll be interested to know if they delete your sites and which ones. Since, technically, by posting at DP it becomes an affiliated site and therefore one you must declare.

So, would they delete the sites they can prove are yours, the sites of your clients, or all your affiliations. Or do they get some schmuck to audit all your edits since time began...

ethical, Jul 4, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  15. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would be okay if they did that, but if they did that it would further reveal problems that are inherant. Fortunately, my sites don't depend on DMOZ. Whose site do? (that would be a great question) :)

dvduval, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't doubt it. Decisions like those tend to be made when no one has to pay for the man-hours on a "project" like that.

17. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dvduval, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

First, he was not editor and then he was but he was fired. You also half admit to corruption by comparing DMOZ to romans, so why don't you go all the way and make full confession, after all they say that confession is good for soul.:)

Did you get many offers? It seems the editors are tired of pretending that they are not corrupt, so why not put a "Buy in Now" price for DMOZ listing on different editors site and get it over with these charades.:rolleyes:

gworld, Jul 5, 2005 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I just took an adult site at random from the list, it's meant to have 28 DMOZ listings but not only is it not listed it appears to have never been submitted.

I then took a G rated site and it was supposed to have 27 listings but had only one - and received it back in '99!

I wonder how dodgy the whois.sc data is?

sarahk, Jul 5, 2005 IP
  20. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree with macdesign's analysis of this phenomeon. I think that the real reason there are so many webmasters and SEOs that are furstrated with the ODP lies in the fundamental difference between the goals of the two.

We have discussed this in several threads on DigitalPoint over the past few months. "Web Professionals" as I have named them for convenience, feel that the ODP is not doing what they want it to do, and that therefore there is something inherantly wrong with the ODP. From your point of view you are absolutely correct - the ODP is very very wrong for what you are trying to do. And there are lots of problems, and things you can find which illustrate that. This includes sites that are listed multiple times, allegations of corruption, non-listing of certain sites and so on.

I have tried to put thing a little from the ODP point of view, without trying to preach. It's far from perfect - there are definitely sites out there which don't deserve as many listings as they have (and I, and others try to correct that), but there are some (like CNN) which have been chosen because of their high quality content (and yes, there is an editor project going on to get those bad links corrected). There are definitely self-interested editors in the ODP - and some of us try to root them out and they get terminated (and you have seen for yourself examples of this, even in this thread).

So please feel free to express your honest opinions - I'm not going to tell you they are wrong. Just recognise that the goals of the ODP and the goals of these frustrated people are not the same, and probably never will be, so it will not effect a change in the system.

I (and others) will continue to try to root out the bad editing, abusive editing, and previous decisions which, in retrospect were probably highly unfortunate. But even after all this is done, the ODP will still not be what most of you would like it to be. By design.

Alucard, Jul 5, 2005 IP