1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ tips

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by jeremyn, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting my site listed in DMOZ. Are there any tips or tricks that I should know about? Can a site be listed in more than one category?

Thanks
    - Jeremy

jeremyn, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  2. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Submit your site to the most relevant category.

If there is an option of more than 1 relevant category then I would hit the green button that shows all the PR for the listings. If a site is listed with no PR then you know an editor has been there in the last 2 months and active.

I would also try to submit to a page that lists an editors name at the bottom of the page. The ones that dont have a name are usually controlled by the people one branch down. That meaning they have quite a few categories to look at and it could be awhile until they get to yours.

Make sure you submit according to guidelines. Dont submit a junk site and expect to get accepted.

Finally, submit it and forget it.

aaron_nimocks, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  3. tresman

tresman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My tip: find the most relevant category, with an editor and with just a few sites listed. Then forget it.

That way, I have 2 sites listed in less than a month.

tresman, Dec 27, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  4. jeremyn

jeremyn Peon

Best Answers:
    Do they accept products that are only for a product?

jeremyn, Dec 28, 2005 IP
  5. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

I'm a DMOZ editor and not sure what you are asking, but if you are submitting to a shopping category, they want to see products that are different that what is already offered, or at unique content that would be of use to the end user.

They do not (as a general rule) accept affiliate sites that are not selling their own product. If you manufacture or carry a unique product, you chances of being accepted are greatly enhanced. They do not like to see sites that look like pages of advertising (adsense, etc).

I would submit to the most relevant category, but if there are more than one, choose a category that has an editor listed at the bottom. I disagree about finding a site with only a few listings. Many people have the idea that your chances of being accepted are much greater because a category only has a few listings. What they don't see are are a hundred or more submissions waiting to be reviewed. The cateogry I took over only had a few listings but had over a hundred waiting for review, some over 3 years old.

What you don't want to do is submit your site a second time - at least unless it has been a year, and even then I would try another category. Your site might be reviewed in a day, but it is likely to sit for a much longer time - even over three years. Submit, wait, and hope for the best. DMOZ is lacking in editors.

Also, compare you site to the best sites in the category rather than saying it is better than some of the sites already listed. DMOZ can be a first come, first listed process, so if someone else already has basically the same content, your chances of being accepted are far less. They don't want a bunch of sites offering basically the same thing.

DMOZ is worth the time it takes to submit a site, but the benefit of a listing is greatly over-rated imo. It used to be a lot better for SERPS because of all the DMOZ clones, but I believe google started devaluing or ignoring those clones with the last update. I have 10 dmoz listed sites (before I became an editor) and you couldn't tell which sites had a DMOZ listing and which ones didn't by looking at the SERPS. I do think a listing helps - just not nearly as much as some people think. I think that idea is spread by people who don't yet have a DMOZ listing and have heard the hype.

There is no way to know if your site has been rejected unless the editor emails you - which is very rare. I have sites pending and I don't have any idea of their status- or if they have been rejected. Like everyone else, I just have to wait and hope that one day they get listed. Good luck.

mjewel, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  6. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    open a paypal account.

Dekker, Dec 29, 2005 IP
    gworld likes this.
  7. jeremyn

jeremyn Peon

Best Answers:
    mjewel - What I mean by just having a product is: http://www.park-ridge.il.us/relaxo/ This is my site, not an affiliate link or anything. I just don't know if this is accepted into the directory.

jeremyn, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  8. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most editors only have access to their own category(s) so I would have no way of knowing what that editor is looking for. I take it that you didn't author the CD, but are selling it? It's a limited presentation, and I don't know if other listed sites also sell it, but if you had some educational advice or tips, I would think it could only increase your chances. A one page site offering two items that you don't author is probably going to have a much harder time being accepted than a site that had more similar products - but I don't have anything to do with making the call. A lot of it really depends of the particular editor that reviews your site.

mjewel, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  9. best-p4u

best-p4u Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems so hard to find a most revelent catagory with editor to submit for me

:(

best-p4u, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  10. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    macdesign, Dec 29, 2005 IP
  11. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I was talking about picking an category with an editor ONLY if there are two categories that are as equally relevant. Don't submit you site to a category that isn't relevant (or even the best category) because it can sit for years before an editor looks at it, decides it belongs in another cateogry, and forwards it to that category where the process will start over again with the editor of the new category.

mjewel, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  12. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! :D What next, accidentally make a "donation" to your favorite DMOZ editor?

EveryQuery, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  13. Doppy

Doppy Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems these days sites don't get into DMOZ without there being some "behind the scenes" action. There are stories abound of DMOZ editors taking payoffs for listings and all kinds of other shady stuff.

The best tip re: DMOZ? Your chances of getting in if you have a good site and are legit are next to nothing. Don't sweat it.

Doppy, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  14. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    With a net growth of over 1000 sites each day your chance to get included oneday if you have a good site (in DMOZ terms have enough unique content) is still 100%.
    Unluckely most sites suggested are not good at all. And a large part is just your and our daily spam.

pagode, Dec 30, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  15. jeremyn

jeremyn Peon

Best Answers:
    Other product sites were listed in the category that I submitted to. I guess I just cross my fingers and hope for the best at this point.

jeremyn, Dec 30, 2005 IP
  16. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    If the category is/was wrong, it will be moved to the most appropriate one for review so no worries.

Might I suggest another course of action? I suggest comparing those other product sites already listed to yours and see what you offer or can add to your site that they don't have. It really isn't about what is already listed but more about what you can offer that they don't.

[​IMG]

Hope that helps.

shadow575, Jan 3, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.