1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ the most important Link?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by batman4444, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I left because I have morals. Can you say the same thing? Now you are hijacking this thread, if you do not want people to be editors then say so, or show that I was somehow wrong or that I broke the rules. I did not, but you still think that I somehow did something wrong.

Now either show what rule I broke or prove that I am lying about why I left, or you are doing nothing but trolling and spreading false information.

I did not break the guidelines of the ODP in doing what I did regardless of why I left...but I do call annie a friend, and I did leave because of what happened too her. I am sorry that you are not man enough to have done the same. I am sorry that you are not man enough to stand up for her at all. I am sorry that you are not man enough to even respect those that did stand up for her. And do not say that you stood up for her. If you cared at all for her you'd certainly show it in ways other then spreading lies about me.

Now if you want me to drop the subject, then fine, I will, but by the gods stop bringing her up yourself. And yes, you are the one that brought her up, you know all too well why I left, yet you keep having to spread lies about it... that is a sin ya know Mr. holyman. Does your congregation know you get online to lie?

Qryztufre, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just can't believe that The Inquisition still lives. Have you had your tea while waiting for the bleks to hang ? :mad:
    We might be renegades or bad boys Ivan but we really are brutally honest ex editors and true to ourselves.

popotalk, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Then how can you ask other people to be part of something if you left because you thought it was immoral? And how can you berate them for not joining when you left be cause you had morals?

Yes we need editors but would suggest that you do have a problem in presenting that in a good light with your history.

We will get the Gestapo and death squads in that will sort it oiut.

Anonymously, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do not agree with many things as a whole, but do not mind many of their members. I don't care for the US gov't yet have a friend that is a politician. I do not agree with all the points of Christianity yet have Christian friends. I can judge an individual separate from the whole.

Though this thread is not about me, it's about the importance of a DMOZ link. Is it important enough to join the editing team? Some certainly think so... Though those that submit and complain that DMOZ sucks that have not at least tried to help need to be reminded that they have done nothing themselves so have no real room to complain.

Qryztufre, Jan 1, 2008 IP
  5. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    Skipping over the personal squabbles and getting back on point....
    Right there on the category page for the most part, well Resource Zone isn't but thats because its an unofficial forum operated by editors. They (report abuse buttons) were made available from the (or very near, I wasn't there ;) ) beginning. Some of the scripts went down for a time following the crash last fall, but other than that they are always there and available.

Mainly because you are expecting a service that was not offered, unfortunately. The directory accepts public suggestions of websites that might be listable in accordance to the guidelines. Unfortunately not all suggestions will be included, and listing services were never offered. Not all sites will be included, but they are still welcomed. The service the directory provides is offering the data (its one and only product) it collects, along with the category structure for free (in accordance to the License Agreement of course) to anyone who wants to use it.

Not only is it a volunteer activity, its just a hobby for the editors. For the most part they all take it seriously, just within their own time schedules. The bad apples are discarded when they are uncovered. The problem is there are far less bad apples than is usually reported. If you suspect you have found one, report it and include detailed evidence as to why you suspect abuse.

shadow575, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  6. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    I have no doubt that is your favorite fantasy and if you PM me your postal address I'll send you little late Christmas gift but you probably already have that one and watch it again every night so feel free to pick something else. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Well you are the expert in these matters, must give credit where it is due.:p

Anonymously, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  8. CurtMonash

CurtMonash Peon

Best Answers:
    When the 100s of sites that mirror DMOZ all counted fully as backlinks in the SERPs, a DMOZ listing was surely more important to rankings than it is now.

And when DMOZ pages showed up high in the SERPs, I bet DMOZ sent more traffic as well.

CurtMonash, Jan 11, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  9. sagasw

sagasw Peon

Best Answers:
    I think DMOZ is important to webmaster, because it is used by Alexa and google.

sagasw, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  10. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    I've submitted 3 quality sites (mine) on Dmoz, ranging from PR6-2, 4 gigs of content on one of them, decent layout, decent traffic, not in competitive terms : none listed.

So I figured screw those bastards hogging those categories, I'll apply as an editor myself. Submitted 3 content websites (as opposed to the outdated crappy game previews links in the category), normal descriptions, etc. Rejected as an editor.

That website is a joke. Only reason to be an editor is to sell spots.

momonari, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    1. We are not interested in if you are pr1,000,000,000 or pr1
    2. You do not say when you submitted, sites can take a few minutes to a few years. Nothing to do with the quality of the site just when an editor gets round to reviewing that category and your site. Some Q's are much longer than others. Games sites are very polular and so I guess, and it is a guess, that the Q's are long.
    3. Did you address your application "screw those bastards hogging those categories, I'll apply as an editor"?
    4. If its a joke, why are you spending so much energy submitting and also being so desperate for a listing that you applied to be an editor?
    5. Many people are refused first time around when applying to be an editor, read the email, read the guidelines and try again and be honest in the application. These are general guidelines because I have no first hand knowledge, not just of your application, but any applications. It is not in my scope to be able to see yours or any applications.
    6. If you have any evidence that any editor is deliberately either taking money for listings or refusing sites for competitors then you can submit an abuse report and it will be thoroughly investigated. But it is very cowardly if you are making accusations that you cannot back up against a group of people that you neither know or apparantly know anything about.
    7. If you or anyone believe that they can apply to become an editor to make money by accepting bribes, then don't you will be caught and removed.

Anonymously, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  12. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Did that.

Did that.

Are you calling meta editors cowards for making accusation against me without any evidence and then abusing their authority in order to remove me? :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  13. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    1. A PR6 website (PR not important, but obviously lots of work in the website) with 4 gigs of content should have more value than the 1 page reviews they let in, don't you think?

4. Because I naively thought it was a legitimate website.

5. Email said something stupid like the sites and descriptions weren't up to standards, or something of the sort. Which is extremely humorous because the content websites I provided are authorities in a low contention category (the MMORPG Pirates of the Burning Sea). ALL of the currently listed websites are 1 page reviews / interviews. That's the quality links that "prestigious" directory is looking for?
    6. Go read websites like get a freelancer.com (without spaces), it's crawling with people selling DMOZ listings for 50$. And since they have rating, it means they've provided the service.

momonari, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  14. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    It *may* have, but then again it may have found other ways to get a PR6. And quantity of information doesn't count either - it's quality. It has to be. Editors are supposed to look at sites like a surfer - does this contain useful information that I can't find elsewhere? And that's about it. PR definitely does not factor into it, and nor should it.

Not spent a lot of time looking at sites like that - it's not possible that people just sign up with two accounts and "fake" rating-generating feedback, is it?

What I have seen more often on sites like that are people *offering* to pay for listings - certainly more than those offering to list. I won't say that there aren't some who do, and when they get tracked down they get booted, believe me.

Alucard, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  15. momonari

momonari Peon

Best Answers:
    You dodged point 5. Why?

momonari, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  16. Markas

Markas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I still believe that listing in DMOZ is very important :) because other directories sometimes just copy all links from them and in this way you can get free backlinks ;)

Markas, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    robjones and Alucard like this.
  17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Because I am not a meta, do not process editor applications, do not know what sites you submitted, do not know how you wrote the descriptions, so do not feel comfortable commenting on it.

Alucard, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  18. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    This old wives tale keeps going around, huh?

Google, at least, has apparently discounted those duplicate links - this has been stated many times by people much more knowledgable than myself and has not been refuted by Google. While that used to be the case, it isn't any more.

Alucard, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  19. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    The email wouldn't have 'said something stupid about sites and descriptions weren't up to standards'. Although it could have mentioned something about them.

I have no idea which application you submitted, what sites you suggested, what category you applied to, or why yours was rejected. I can tell you thought that the email would have included a list of common reasons for applications to be rejected and any additional comments the reviewer might have had. If it included a message about the sites and titles/descriptions specifically (other than what is mentioned in the list of common problems), it was most likely more along the lines of "the sample sites you provided were inappropriate for the category you replied to or were already listed more appropriately in the directory and did not qualify for a double listing in the category you were replying to".

shadow575, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You dodged point 3.

Anonymously, Jan 18, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.