1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ submission

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by peugeot78, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that clears things up - DMOZ is run by Glenn Beck! :cool:

BTW as ex-editors maybe we can sue AOL if Mustafa gets half a million from Facebook we should hire his lawyer. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  2. tinycoin

tinycoin Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol you only waited for 1 year. Up to now is 3 years and my sites are not in stupid directory yet

tinycoin, Feb 1, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. Drachsi

Drachsi Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's time to ask Bing or Google to start their very own version of Dmoz, it can only get better.
    Drachsi

Drachsi, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry we are stupid, but if we are that stupid, care to tell us why it worries you that the volunteer staff who work in their own time have either not reviewed your site or have not listed your site? And if you have waited all that time and you still feel aggrieved can I ask why you have not volunteered to use your time to help build the directory instead of just complaining about it?

Anonymously, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  5. Drachsi

Drachsi Member

Best Answers:
    I think every realises the value of DMOZ, otherwise there would not be so much discussion about it.

DMOZ is struggling because of it's success. I know I have submitted my url and wait until somebody has time to approve it?

What could help is more editors and maybe a semi automated system to help the editors review sites faster. How much time does a site review take, is there a set time? How many editors review different types of websites? Statistics of internal reviews would help.

Would you pay to have a faster service?

Drachsi

Drachsi, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Would help who? Every site is different and sometimes some sites take longer to validate than others. Some editors spend more time evaluating than others, some editors are just faster at evaluating than others.

But you also seem to work under the delusion that editors only edit in the suggestions pool and that is not true, sometimes editors don't even use the suggestions pool. The task of an editor is to build categories and if they wish they can use the suggestions pool, if they do not wish they can use their own resources.

But most, if not all, would not edit if we were paid, this is our hobby, we do it in our spare time, that's why an editor makes the choice of which resource they wish to use to build a category. A suggested site is just that....a suggestion and it can be from the site owner or from a member of the public who has seen a site they think we would like to list.

Remember we have absolutely no interest in any value a listing might give to a site, we are only interested in collecting unique content url's for those who wish to search the net using categorised data.

Anonymously, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  7. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    If a lie is repeated enough times it becomes truth? :rolleyes:

What success? DMOZ is struggling because of incompetent management and total lack of interest by its owner AOL. For several years wikipedia list several times more QUALITY links then DMOZ which has most of its categories hopelessly out of date.

If DMOZ would become paid service it would quickly turn into even more worthless collection of spam links because only ones who would paid for the service are owners spam websites who want to make their websites little less spammy thanks to editor advice.

Ivan Bajlo, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Change is bad... change is evil... if they change us, we will implode!

From the looks of it, it would help the ODP. Sorry you feel it would not... in fact, I find it strange that every suggestion for change you seem to shoot down based on knowing exactly what every editor in the ODP would also want...funny, you should change your signature to something more realistic, as it's clear you seem to want to speak for the entire directory.

WOW... just WOW... are you trying to tell me, that not only do you would for nothing, that you'd actually quit if you got something? To me, that is just SCREAMING bullchips, as you clearly would be in the minority on that one! Getting paid would NOT change how you edit, or when you edit, only that you got money for editing.

Show me a stamp collector that not only gets his stamps for free but gets paid to collect them, and I'll show you a VERY happy stamp collector!

Using WE again I see... you really need to alter your sig, or the way you talk about the project.

Even then, if editors have no interest in such things, why on earth would sooooo many editors have multiple listings for their own sites. Are you trying to say that they have no interest in adding value to sites in the suggestion pool? That's certainly clear! Some don't even look at those (according to your own post).

Qryztufre, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  9. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Remembering that many websites are eligible to be listed in the Topical and in the Regional branches and also in multiple World categories if they are multilingual, name ten offenders. Should be easy if you're claims have any foundation, right? (I'll allow you skrenta.)

Money wouldn't provide any incentive to me to edit more because I have no more hours available. OTOH, corporate fingers tend to be sticky and it's likely that only a small percentage of any fees would be passed along to editors. I have no desire to fill the pockets of AOL's shareholders so I'd quit.

jimnoble, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Change is not at all bad, but some changes would completely change the whole project, why do that when it would then simply become another paid directory, if you want that go to Best of The Web, you can pay there for a review or wait for a freebie.

I think the post above this shows where Jim is and let them try to pay me and other editors and see how many walk off, I absolutely sure would, they can't afford my time but I am willing to give it as and when I want to.

Not if the collector wants to do it and does not want the constraints that come with payment, you have then turned a hobby into a job.

Anonymously, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There does not need to be constraints... other then a method of payment. Getting paid for a hobby could be nothing more then icing on the cake. Take the Yahoo directory for instance... you are not promised a listing for your ungodly payment... but it certainly stops most of the spammers!

Qryztufre, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    What does it do to the editors on Yahoo, are they indulging their hobby when they want to, no it becomes a job, I want a hobby. In fact I have a great hobby and whatever you would like to believe it aint gonna change to a job.

Anonymously, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Ok, OK... I now am fully aware that you in no way shape or form wish to be paid for something you enjoy so much, even if there are no restrictions or nothing else changes. That is PERFECTLY clear now... though now I must ask, if you are really that proud of an editor to not get paid for your hobby, why again do you post anonymously? That certainly sounds a bit fishy if ya ask me...

But you win, I'm sure that all the folks reading your posts in here have also seen the light.

JOB WELL DONE!

Its clear that money makes you very very unhappy and that getting it in trade for something you enjoy soooooo much would make you find something else you can do for free (but NOT collect stamps, you gotta pay for that, so that too is COMPLETELY and TOTALLY different). Maybe you could take up collecting rocks if AOL ever decides to charge for the SERVICE. But stay away from them there fancy stones... some people charge for them as well!

Qryztufre, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  14. binzaman

binzaman Peon

Best Answers:
    Although, they always state that they have heavy loads of inclusion requests but directory submission should be easy. Its like if i pay for submission it will be included in some time and if i don't use paid service they will take ages (whatever the dirty reasons are).

binzaman, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  15. First2Host

First2Host Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is , but then again most people say that for some reason prob down to the google pr think and it may help

First2Host, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  16. mundomariah

mundomariah Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes it takes too long. My site was aproved after at least 1 year.

mundomariah, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  17. pbonweb

pbonweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Can anybody let me know how to submit in dmoz as i try many times but did not find the page where i submit my site in dmoz

pbonweb, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  18. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go to the category where it best fits and click on the suggest URL link at the top.
    (If there isn't such a link, choose one of its subcategories instead)

jimnoble, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  19. azhosty

azhosty Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    my web site never accepted on DMOZ i have try more then one time to add but never receive any email from dmoz
    what i will do

azhosty, Mar 12, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  20. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Demand refund.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Mar 12, 2011 IP