1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz submission

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Gniuz, Jul 23, 2006.

1. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. Metas have had their editorial privileges revoked.

Metas (and also editalls) are held to higher standards than less experienced editors. They are supposed to know better and any hint of self interest or favoritism - they are gone, no warnings, no second chances.

nebuchadrezzar, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  2. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    KC and the Sunshine Band ?

Try a Senior Editor who logs in once in a while and just add Travel Sites. That is Serious Big Bucks. Especially from Travel Companies.:rolleyes:
    That's the problem they don't.
    That was my ORIGINAL Question. Any Example to BACK that up ?:rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  3. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While kctipton indeed did have his meta privileges removed, he was, quite tragically, re-instated a few months after.

Removing him was the right idea.

Reinstating him was not.

Did he get notice? I am sure he did, because even though he was not a meta, he was still an editor, and he could still harass people until they left in disgust, with a permanent impression that the ODP is full of psychotic nutters on mental disability.

helleborine, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    compostannie and popotalk like this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Did they change the infamous "guidelines" so that what he did wrong was no longer "wrong"? :rolleyes:

I really do think that a goodly number of those editors who form the core of the Resourceless Zone Rat Pack would meet the full criteria for a DSM-IV personality disorder. That place is a disgrace.

minstrel, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No comment.
    So do you think these action is fair to others. No it is not. That is just a nutly demonstration on the reverse mode of what neb has posted.

popotalk, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  6. helleborine

Best Answers:
    No, that's a more recent strategy.

kctipton was removed for what can best be described as a vague euphemism for "personality problems."

You know this guy has got to be the biggest nut in the tree.

helleborine, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  7. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If that is the case, why was he reinstated ? I just can't see probable reasons for 5 or more metas to vote on this. I thought abuse is not tolerated. Or is there always an exception to the rule which leads for twisting laws or guidelines ?

popotalk, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    In the Magical World of DMOZ, yes, of course.

minstrel, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  9. helleborine

Best Answers:
    I don't think he was reinstated with a vote of 5 metas.

From kctipton's editor log, I believe it was a unilateral decision by a paid ODP employee (who is no longer there).

Not that you couldn't find 5 metas to wholeheartedly approve a fellow seven-layered fruitcake.

helleborine, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  10. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh dear, oh dear. Seems to be some confusion. I feel uncomfortable discussing a fellow editor here, but since the topic has been brought up of one person being bumped down from meta, let's get the facts straight.
    Abuse of the directory was not the issue here. A meta who abuses the directory will be thrown out completely. It has happened.

The editor in question was removed from meta, reinstated (for a few months), then removed again - all back in 2004. This is an old story.

Genie, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you been discharge from the hospital recently ? It seems that you are still high on medication or did somebody just release you from an old magic lamp ?
    Did anyone say abuse of the directory ? :rolleyes: Are you a 7 layer too or just a plain ?
    It seems that you really are taking serious wonder drugs. But he's back again. Why ?

popotalk, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    If I read this correctly, I think he was removed as a meta (but not an editor), then reinstated as a meta, then removed again as a meta - I'm not sure he ever stopped being an editor.

minstrel, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  13. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems I'm not making myself clear.

Two issues are getting confused. An editor said
    This refers to metas caught abusing the directory being thrown out of the door. Removed completely from editing. Gone. Finished. Not an editor any more. Popotalk responded:
    No. The editor to whom you refer was not, repeat not, caught abusing the directory. And so he was not, repeat not, thrown out of the door.

He was simply bumped down from meta to editall. Then he was briefly moved back to meta. Then back again to editall, where he remains to this day. He did leave the directory for while at least once, as I recall, of his own volition. That may be causing some confusion.

[Added] Minstrel was faster and has it correct.

Genie, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed.
    That said, meaning abusing plain fruitcakes is not abuse at all and is OK ? So when I abused the multi layered fruitcakes its not OK and I was sent to space ?
    I just learned a lesson from you then. From now on I just work hard and when I become a 4 layer I can abuse the plain too and nothing happens. Right ?:rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  15. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am disappointed, I thought by now, you know that abuse and corruption are inseparable part of DMOZ culture. ;)

gworld, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't be. I am just giving them a chance to explain themselves with the usual lame excuses while the whole world can read how supreme fruitcakes can bafflegab.:rolleyes:

popotalk, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  17. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Oh, he was removed again, and is "only" an editall to this day?

Does that mean he's still allowed to persecute the new editors when his meds run out?

You say he quit at some point? I recall he was the torch bearer for hating people that quit the ODP in a huff. He had made up an acronym to coin the insult. He baptised it like some sort of leper-like syndrome.

helleborine, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  18. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Whilst KC and I locked horns on more than one occasion in internal forums to the point of spitting venom at one another occasionally, and his approach to many less experienced editors was, to put it diplomatically, undiplomatic, if you were to rank every DMOZ editor who has ever served for incorruptibility then KC would be the one left standing when all others had been eliminated. His nose for rooting out corruption is second to none. In other words you need people like KC in an organisation such as DMOZ but not necessarily interfacing direct with new and inexperienced editors. During his absence DMOZ was poorer, and more exposed to abuse, for that. The key for DMOZ Admins is to manage the volunteer resources at their disposal, and the positive attributes they bring to the party, effectively, playing to their strengths and managing their weaknesses. Sadly this managerial ability is outside their skillset and as an editall much of KC's experience and abilities are wasted, as is the case with most editors.

brizzie, Aug 6, 2006 IP
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    So basically, brizzie, you are saying that he was a venomous, power-mad bully who made the lives of editors and non-editors alike as miserable as he could but he wasn't dishonest so we should forgive him?

Think about it: Does it still surprise anyone that DMOZ is hated so intensely and is so distrusted with this kind of crap so commonplace?

minstrel, Aug 6, 2006 IP
  20. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Bah. DMOZ editors are god knows made from what.

I have atleast submitted my 57 sites in DMOZ and they all are pending.

And yeah the sites are not MFA's or 5-10 page sites.

Nick_Mayhem, Aug 6, 2006 IP