1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Submission Spamming

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Las Vegas Homes, Feb 25, 2006.

1. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    Why? So that I can put up with you harrassing me at every post I make? No thanks. I was actually looking into it *before* he asked, but stopped when I saw all of your nonsense here...If you want LVH to get any help then just STFU and let him and editors discuss this. Evey post you make in this thread makes editors less willing to help.

I realize of course that you have to have the last word here, so there will be at *least* one more post from you...lol

sidjf, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  2. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Actually Annie, I was also asking for help to fix this. I was hoping since Jim and yourself got involved that maybe..just maybe you two could not only help me understand why, but also maybe do somethig to correct this.

As I have stated I am not trying to manipulate your directory guidelines but get my site listed in your directory that I feel will be of great benefit to your users. My comments may seem arrogant, but I know without a doubt it would be the best site for information and usefulness for consumers looking in that category.

Real estate in that category is the only thing I know within Dmoz. My site may not be 100% compliant but if not I have offered to make it so. I am asking for your help or any other editors who may be able to help me faciliate not only a listing in there but also to clear up the misunderstanding of the site/sites being spam submitted.

I would truly appreciate your help in any way you can. We all may not agree with eachother on all issues, but I am sure that we all can agree if a site deserve a listing in Dmoz it should be included putting all personal differences aside.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  3. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    LVH - since Jim probably won't come back here to help you with this issue due rude interruptions of gworld - I suggest you go to him. If you post a continuation of this conversation in resource zone - asking Jim to continue the conversation there, I'm sure you'll receive a response from him. That way both of you won't have to deal with idiot interruptions.

lmocr, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  4. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Your welcome gworld, you did ask for it signed. ;)

The anonymous red I got simply said "Idiot dmoz editor"
    Now that hurt. They could have added a period at the end, but no, they leave off the period and now my editing impulse is driving me mad. :eek:

Oh well, guess that's what happens when we try to help.

compostannie, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  5. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    lmocr, that would be the best way to get LVH the help he needs, but do they discuss individual sites there? I could be wrong, but I don't think they will. :confused:

6. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know - but the generic question of how to fix the problem could be addressed.

However, if a moderator chose to address an individual site after a posting something like "Since we were so rudely interrupted on that other site, could we continue the conversation here Jim" - then that's his call.

lmocr, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  7. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just you know, it wasn't me that gave your red rep.

Jim "noble"- imocr also gave me a red rep too after I mentioned Annie, I suppose she thinks it helps. She is an excellent DMOZ editor material, doesn't care about children or animals and I believe she can crawl as low as you like, so don't forget her promotion. :rolleyes:

To all editors,

you claim that the only reason you are not helping this guy is because I post in this thread, so I make a deal with you. I will stop posting in this thread, if you try to help him with his listing or at least come up with a good reason to show that nothing fishy is going on and he really doesn't deserve a listing. How is that, any more excuse for doing nothing? ;)

gworld, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  8. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe you are right Annie but I guess we will see. I just want to get this resolved. This is important to me and I would believe that if it is shown that the sites were submitted several times that editors would be interested in this. It is only my word but I know that the two sites I mentioned that I no longer want added to Dmoz was only submitted once each by my past webmasters/ staff. As I have stated on this thread I only have the one site I wish to be listed, since it is my understanding that even if I own sites in different states and cities that only one url can be included in Dmoz for the same related urls.

9. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    LVH, I requested moderation for this thread a couple hours ago with the hope that we could maybe get Jim back here and continue the discussion. We'll see how that goes and if Jim will come back. I have family coming over soon so I'm out of free time for the day. We'll talk tomorrow.

Las Vegas Homes likes this.
  10. sidjf

sidjf Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, didn't go to good at RZ (big surprise).

LVH - Now that it's quiet in here, I would love to help you, but I'm probably one of the least qualified people to do so. I don't edit in Business or Regional (much) and know basically nothing about the Real Estate rules that seem to be in place. I don't think Jim's coming back, but maybe we can get someone else in here to answer your questions. :)

sidjf, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  11. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:

Thanks sidjf, what needs to be done to get my primary site listed in Dmoz? Can an editor help? I have a very good site and it would be of benefit to Dmoz users.

Also its my understanding that I was told in another thread here that some people will never get in to Dmoz, it was directed at me, we are assuming it was an editor.

I want the air cleared about the accusations of me spamming the submission process. If its posible, I would like to know what sites, when and how many times they were submitted please.

As I have stated, there were only two sites that either my webmaster or staff member submitted to Dmoz once each. If I am correct, this leads me to believe that if a competitor wanted to prevent another competitor from getting listed in Dmoz they could spam submit their site. I have a unique writing style so I am guessing the submissions would not be hard to detect my writing if it was me.

I would like mygorealty.net listed in Dmoz for residential agents in Las Vegas. If this is possible please advise me on what we need to do from this point to accomplish that. Also to help Dmoz solve the issue of what sites have been submitted to Dmoz that are mine and who submitted them.

Thanks.

12. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    They have to follow the Regional guidelines as all other sites. Important thing to remember is that a site needs to provide address information, how else can we determine were to list the site.
    On top of that the Real Estate guidelines must be followed. Most important "the convention is to list agent/agency sites only once in the Directory."

neither do I
    I doubt you can find other editors willing to post here than the current group of 4 - 5 editors. The reputation of DP and some of its inhabitants is well known and is, as proven in this thread, working against people who want to ask genuine questions.

pagode, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  13. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Honest opinion, are we all wasting our time? I dont know that I can get the information I want or whether any editor that is willing to help will be able to. I appreciate the help or offer to help.

14. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm taking the chance of possibly stepping over a boundary by giving you information we normaly would not give as DMOZ.

Let me first try to help you by asking some questions
    To me this seems to be the site of an Agency, am I correct?
    What is the name of your company? (it should be listed on the site)
    What is the address of your company? (it should be listed on the site)
    Does this company has other websites? (we all already know the answer is yes)
    Does one of these websites have an url that matches its name? (if yes, DMOZ will see that site as the main site)
    Why is your company with your address not listed on century21 website?

pagode, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  15. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    No this is not an agency site, this is a team site for me. I have agents that work under me at Cenutry 21 Aadvantage Gold.

The name of the company which is NOT mine is Century 21 Aadvantage Gold. This is the company we are working for. The site is designed so that when we open our own company it will be an easy transition.

The address is not listed on the site. In Nevada the real estate regulations does not require the address of the company to be listed on the site, only the name, but I do understand I will need to add this. Would you like the address now? here is a link to the office I work out of, but their corp office in located in Las Vegas, Henderson and Las Vegas are less than 2 miles from eachother. CHECK HERE The corp office is located here CENTURY 21 Aadvantage Gold Las Vegas, NV 89117 9420 W. Sahara Ave Suite 200

As mentioned above this is not a company site. This is a team site, this means I am an agent of that company not the owner of Cenutry 21 Aadvantage Gold. C 21 does not list website addresses of its agents.

Sometime in 2006 I plan to open a company called Go Realty, hense the name mygorealty.net but at this moment I am a real estate agent with Century 21 Aadvantage Gold. You will see their logo on the site as required by Nevada regulations.

I can add the address to Century 21 Aadvantage Gold, is there anything else you would like to ask? I am more than willing to comply.

16. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    To me this sounds as if you are representing this agency.

Sorry, DMOZ editors don't have the capability to look into the future. That is why we can only judge a site on its current content.

But DMOZ needs an address. How else can we know were to list a site. BTW you better read your own site. Why did you think I aksed the question about address? I know were it is located and am sure you also know.

Agents are allowed to have their own listings but these sites must have unique information about those agents (amongst them name and address).
    See http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=Aadvantage+Gold

Maybe in the future after you started your own company and changed this site to be related to that company the site can be listed.
    At this moment this site looks prove to me why Real Estate guidelines are so strict that they can be called rules.
    - trying to get listings for an agency that is already listed
    - an address that is not correct (we are used to people trying to get their site listed in another city as their company is located in)

To me this site seems not listable. Maybe when you have your own company and related website it might be.
    This does not say anything about the site or you. It only says something about the site in relation to DMOZ guidelines.

pagode, Feb 26, 2006 IP
  17. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I honestly have no idea what you are referring to? The address of the corp office I just added to the homepage as I know it is part of Dmoz guidelines.

In a sense I am representing this agency, but only as an Agent.

I am not trying to get listed as an agency, I am trying to get listed as an Agent.

Maybe I can make it clearer. I am a Realtor with Century 21 Aadvantage Gold. I have a website that is showing the Century 21 Logo as required by the Nevada Real Estate Division. I work as a real estate agent for C 21.

The site was design for our team of agents with Century 21 Aadvantage Gold, however the design was created so that when we open a new real estate company not associated with Century 21, we can make an easy transition with the website to our new company. At the time we would open a new company the site would be eligible for an agency listing in Dmoz, at this time however it is only eligible for an Agent listing. Does this now make sense?

PS I am off to bed will respond tomorrow. Thanks for the help and I hope I have answered your questions.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  18. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    As I am afraid that I already told you to much I am not going to tell you how I know this is not the correct address.

Then you should create a site for you as an agent. This is not.

We know.

As I said before DMOZ editors can not look into the future.

To me this site is a good example why DMOZ real estate guidelines are so strict. To much about this and your other sites smells as if you are trying to manipulate search engines, DMOZ, other directories and most importantly your customers.

pagode, Feb 27, 2006 IP
    1 person likes this.
  19. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I hate to inform you but this is the correct address for the Corp Office of Century 21 Aadvantage Gold.

How do you preceive this is not an agent site. I created it, I am an agent, so what makes this a non agent site?

I apologize for my statement to this response, but this shows you have no idea about the real estate industry. How is my site/sites manipulating the SEs, how does my site which I am suggesting manipulate Dmoz and last which I take offense too, is how does my site manipulate my customers.

I dont care what you say about Dmoz or SEs as I know thats just the standard Dmoz BS, but customers, we are required by LAW to list the company we hang our license with on our website, nothing more. Its amazing that only Dmoz would make this statement, as the Las Vegas Association of Realtors and Nevada Real Estate Division has reviewed this site and has no problem with it. They are the governing authority, not Dmoz. Not to mention but Century 21 Corp has no problem with it.

To address your response about Search Engines, LMAO, all I can say is where are these sites manipulating the SEs. They dont use any techniques against the SE guidelines. So I find your response to be unreliable and in some cases offensive. Thanks for the help but I think you are looking for excuses to not list, maybe this is best as I can now see Dmoz has no clue about real estate. This now explains why no one in Dmoz likes to edit real estate, no one has a clue. I would suggest to you to maybe go read Nevada statues 645 to get an understanding of the real estate regulations as it pertains to advertsing, this includes websites.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 27, 2006 IP
  20. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is. But it is not your address.

Because it nowhere states who the agent is. On the other had it clearly shows which agency it is.

I have no reason to doubt that this all is true. But to be listed in DMOZ you will have to create a site based on DMOZ guidelines.

And as I said before. This all does not say anything about you or your site, if it is working for you that is fine.

pagode, Feb 27, 2006 IP