1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Submission Reward - $1K

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by rbfallon, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Maybe he edits the "Urban Hip Hop Discussion Forums" category!

Blogmaster, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm an out of the closet editor... just not for DMOZ.

minstrel, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  3. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    minnie ever filled out the "become a editor" thingie?

BE HONEST!

Shoemoney, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Several years ago, yes. Probably circa 1997 maybe? I wasn't accepted.

One oddity, though: I think sometime last year I received a rejection email for an editor application. Either this was my original application being rejected (I can't honestly recall whether I ever got anything back from my first application) or somebody else submitted me - I know I didn't apply so it was rather bizarre to get the email to say the least. By that point, I was anti-DMOZ on principle so I assumed the latter - somebody having fun with me.

I think I posted something about it at the BoG at the time...

minstrel, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I think everyone here has applied to become an editor at some point.

Blogmaster, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  6. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't. Read the application form and decided I couldn't be bothered filling it in.

egdcltd, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  7. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I think this means that you are smarter than I am.

Will.Spencer, Oct 15, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  8. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have thought about it a couple of times, but I just would hate to be wasting my time filling out anything for a dinasour on the internet. Dmoz will be going, if they aren't gone already???

I have a concept that needs a programmer that has to do with replacing search engines and directories as we know them today (which all seem to just suck, and we get decent rankings)

debunked, Oct 17, 2005 IP
  9. dondor

dondor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on the category - Remember to choose the correct language and sub categories - in less crowded categories you are more likely to be accept sooner.
    Ofcourse there are many DMOZ editors which had joined only to help their own websites promotions and never took a look at all other reauests so...... be patient cause these editors are being replaced if their category managers see they are useless.

dondor, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  10. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Those editors tend to time out, rather than being replaced.

As there are a whole load of editors who could edit any category, often they will do some editing in a category even if it has a "named" editor, especially if it's obvious that category hasn't had anything done to it in a while.

Alucard, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It's better to time out
    than to fade away

~ Lyric paraphrased in several rock songs in the past 2 or 3 decades.

minstrel, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  12. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Editor rejection is one of my few contentions with DMOZ.

I've applied and rejected. Although the "form letter" is not specific, I gathered it was for what they considered a conflict of interest / self-promotion.

But why would I volunteer to edit a category that I have no knowledge or interest in.

I actually applied a second time for a category to wit I already had a listing thinking this would mitigate the "self-promotion" aspect - same rejection.

I like DMOZ for the most part, but this is honestly one aspect I do not like: continue to beg for editors and then reject those willing to help, be mentored, and make the ODP better.

Okay, my rant for the day ... deep breath; I feel better.

wrmineo, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  13. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    ...or go down in a Blaze of Glory

unfortunately I've seen a few of those, and they are UGLY!

(I can't believe I just quoted Bon Jovi!!!!!)

Alucard, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  14. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    This is something I have heard a few times. And here is the usual advice I give.

If your only purpose of becoming an ODP editor is promoting your own sites, then please don't bother - that's not what the ODP is about. I am assuming, based on what you have said, that that isn't the case with you.... so the rest of this applies:

You know more than you think you do. Don't underestimate your knowledge.

Do you have a hobby? Chances are there is an ODP category for that.

Do you live somewhere? There is almost definitely a category which deals with the area where you live. You probably get exposed to websites for local businesses all the time. You know who is legit and who are the shysters.

Editing a locality category (or a part of one, if the locality where you live is big) is a great way to start showing what you can do as an ODP editor. Often these categories are small, and in need of some TLC, and there are LOTS of them. If you enjoy editing, then you can look at getting named to categories that are larger.

Alucard, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    There is an inconsistency there that's also frustrating. As we have seen, DMOZ policy is that it is OK to add one's own sites as long as the affiliation is declared and as long as those are not the only sites being added. So clearly, when that policy is being defended, the issue of conflict of interest or potential conflict of interest is dicounted. Why then should it be a reason for rejecting a potential new editor? Is there one rule for existing editors and another for applicants?

It may make sense to those on the inside in DMOZ but there is no rhyme or reason for it, as with many other things about DMOZ, to outsiders looking in. As I've suggested previously, the lack of apparent consistency and the existence of apparent closed-door secrecy is one of the major reasons for the almost universal hatred of DMOZ.

minstrel, Oct 19, 2005 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  16. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Solid points and advice for sure Alucard, but there in lies more problems for me.

I live in Vine Grove Kentucky - population of about 5500, including the cemetary - not too many websites except those crap ones (IMO) from yellowpages, superpages, etc.

I live near Elizabethtown KY - but I have a site in that "locality".

Hobbies? Sure, but let's keep the discussion clean :D

Interest? History - very poplulated, well represented and finding sites that are "worthy" to list three is hours of frustrating research.

Again, it's not that I don't appreciate your advice and comments, but I've heard these before. I may apply again in the near future, but I'm having plenty of fun playing in forums in the mean time :rolleyes:

Thanks Alucard - more power to you and the ODP (Or, as Minstrel might say, OPC - other people's children :eek: ).

wrmineo, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah but you would be surprised. I, too, live in a very small community and was highly surprised to find out just how many little businesses are there, and which have websites.

Do you get a local community newspaper? They often have websites for local businesses shown in ads.

Currently http://dmoz.org/Regional/North_America/United_States/Kentucky/Localities/V/Vine_Grove/ has 12 listings.

Are there more than 2 churches in the community? I see 2 listed.
    Is there just the one school?
    Is there a chamber of commerce?
    Does the fire department have their own website?
    Hotels? Car dealer?

I'm sure you get the idea. Finding sites that rae not in Google or the search engines is one of the more positive things the ODP does, I believe, especially to promote local businesses.

Not telling you what to do, just trying to give you (and others, maybe) inspiration.

Alucard, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  18. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Alucard, your suggestions and comments aren't falling on deaf ears, and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to care.

I also have http://www.vinegroveinfo.com but have NOT submitted it to the ODP as I don't feel it's necessarily worthy or ready yet - how would I disclose that and still not be rejected?

Thanks.

wrmineo, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  19. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, now you put it this way I see what you mean.

Yes, that's right.
    Sort of, yes.
    No, far from it. What there is about applicants is a lack of concrete knowledge on behalf of the metas that approve applications (I am not one of them, nor do I play one on TV)

Then let me make at least an attempt to lift the clouds of obscurity a little.

There is a big difference between someone who will add their own sites, along with loads of others, and someone that will only add their own sites, and then again, the other extreme of someone who will add their own sites and remove those of their competitors.

Obviously, the ODP wants the first type big-time. Is semi-ok with the second type, but would possibly rather not, and obviously doesn't want the third.

Trouble is, how on earth do you divine from an application which category a new applicant is likely to fall in? You may be able to do some web searches to find out more about the person, but often the application is all you know.

So often it's gut-feel, I'm afraid, which of course is horribly inconsistent. Also, some metas are more willing to approve someone and then "keep an eye on them" in their early days as editor, to make sure they don't do any damage, others are less inclined to take that risk.

The trick is to try to make your application as open and "unable to misinterpret" as possible.

Alucard, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  20. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't have a magic wand, so can't give you the magic formula, of course.

But if you don't think it's ready to be listed yet, don't have it as one of the three example sites, but declare it as an affiliation.

I know there are some SEOs that are really good editors. They were SEOs when they applied and I don't believe they made any secret of it. That, in and of itself, does not preclude anyone from becoming an editor.

Alucard, Oct 19, 2005 IP