1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ: Requesting reinstatement

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by pawlala, Apr 10, 2005.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well if it is all that you may as well just bribe your way in TOOT, why are you not treating the editors to boat rides with young women out in San Diego :confused:

anthonycea, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    We're talking about DMOZ here, Anthony... what would DMOZ editors do with young women?

Blow-up dolls or collections of GIFs maybe...

minstrel, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Well the thing I don't understand is why TOOT is fighting with them :confused:

If he is a decent SEO he would be buying his way in by the bribes that he says they take.

It seems that TOOT has missed the boat and is going about this backward while the competition smokes him.........

4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I think he's overestimating the value of a DMOZ listing, even in real estate -- if I recall correctly, they have about 180 real estate sites listed in the index -- are all the rest going bankrupt or what? Are the top 10 or top 20 real estate sites even listed in DMOZ?

5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If you search for almost any area combined with the word real estate in DMOZ, you will see some very small sites of real estate agents who don't even understand the value of their listing and how they can build upon it. The reason is that many DMOZ editors for real estate are themselves in that industry with their very own websites. They will give a few friends the listings and then fill up their categories with sites which are not a thread to them. Try getting your site in if you are a competitor. No can go. You will hear a lot of lies such as "a DMOZ listing is not really worth anything".
    I have been in the real estate marketing industrie for a long time and my results are great.
    There are a few factors I cannot control however.
    1 is the Google filter which is established for the real estate industry specifically and involves a waititng list longer than the regular sandbox.
    2 is corruption within DMOZ giving an unfair advantage to the few that got in early and prevent serious competitors from ever being listed. They are being ranked because DMOZ has their back and others have to work 10 times as hard to get where they are.
    Also, the real estate filter can be broken, but you need a DMOZ listing in addition to a few other factors.
    If you wonder why I am pi$$ed at DMOZ, this is why. Do I have reason? I believe I do.
    The only thing I hate more than corruption is bystanders looking the other way and then lying about it. Kinda like Nazi Germany where Noone knew and some deny it ever happened.

I see a similar attitude in resource zone and it sickens me.
    There is a monopoly that has been established and I believe there are violations of the law taking place.

Blogmaster, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    too late for that :D

7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    So if I read you correctly, the people actually listed in DMOZ aren't doing that great? They're the small players keeping out the bigger players?

8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    All you have to do is go to the Google directory and see who is there Minstrel :eek:

TOOT it is never too late to up the ante and bribe someone that can be had :D

9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    they are a small group of big players (editors and friends) and a load of small players who may not even know what DMOZ is. (in about 60% of the regional real estate categories)

10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Maybe he's right, ST... I'd strongly suggest you give the blow-up sheep a try... that should work if anything will... :D

11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    My new directory will blow their asses away, just wait until it comes out man :eek:

12. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    hehe ..

anyways, I was going to show you guys an example but of course their search function is down :rolleyes:

13. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Funny thing is that my Directory will be the one everyone will use after it is introduced, no one will even want a listing in DMOZ then :eek:

PS: It is funny that any thread here that has the word DMOZ in it always brings in the same players :) :D :p

14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    true but it is because noone wants to get involved because they have some listings they are afraid to lose.