1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ proved me wrong

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by zman, Sep 7, 2005.

So this morning I got up and logged in and was surprised to see an e-mail titled
    "LISTED NOW : ODP Feedback - Submission"

After almost two years my main student travel site has found its way to the top of a category on a PR 6 page in DMOZ.

In the past I have been a heavy critic of DMOZ and have felt that most editors were corrupt, or at least had some less than acceptable practices.

To date I have submitted about 30 websites and this is only the third to be accepted.

I now want to clear the record for myself and say that indeed there are good editors out there. They may be hard to find but they are there.

The editor who approved my site this morning has been talking to me about travel and other random stuff and I have come to realize that some people seem to be in it for the right reasons.

Now if DMOZ can just get control of all of its editors and streamline the operation it may once again become worth something.

So as a suggestion, if you submitted a site a long time ago you may want to go to that category and contact the editor with a very diplomatic and kind e-mail inquiring on whether or not you should re-submit. This is what I did and am now listed in the best spot I could have asked for. :)

It wont always work but if it works at all then it is worth the effort.

zman, Sep 7, 2005 IP
    joeychgo, dct and sarahk like this.
  2. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    There are good DMOZ editors out there, for sure. I submitted a site and it was included in the dmoz listings within one week! Shame about all the other ones ...

mcfox, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Great news. I have had positive experiences with DMOZ in the past as well. Several members of DP serve as editors.

Shannonn

Smyrl, Sep 7, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  4. J.P

J.P Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I submitted a couple of sites around a year ago.. so just another year before I get listed :D

Which category did you submit to, just wondering if any sites I have will fit this category if there is actually a editor reviewing submissions.

J.P, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  5. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    zman, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  6. J.P

J.P Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well guess I will have to wait another year for a submission to be accepted :)

nice one on you getting in though :)

J.P, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  7. samsam

samsam Peon

Best Answers:
    One of my sites got 2 listings in less then 3 weeks.

samsam, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Totally depends on the category... I've had a site included in less than 6 hours before, and then that same site I needed the URL/domain changed, so put in a request, and it was less than a day for that as well.

DMOZ as a whole isn't a corrupt system, but it's a VERY overloaded/swamped system. I think I recall there being many millions of pending entries. Not something that anyone wants to go through (especially when they don't get paid). Of course the best solution is to just become an editor. Not only can you get your site in faster, but you can help get your category up to par and clear out the queue.

For me, DMOZ is a "submit and forget" system... Maybe it will be quick, maybe it will take years... but no point in stressing about it.

digitalpoint, Sep 7, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  9. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yeah, depends on the category, on mine several sites that had more than a year listed got wiped out by an editor that has nothing to do with that category.

Maybe a couple of decent editors, the rest are just rats

fryman, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  10. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Zman, do you fancy having a cheeky word with your travel editor on my behalf? :D

I submitted my site about 12 months ago, enquired on the forum about the status after 6 months, got the standard 'pending' reply. 6 months on, no news but they have stopped the site submission status thingy in the forum.

I know, I know, this sounds like everyone elses rants about dmoz, some people wait years. What annoys me though is that in the 12 months I have been waiting not 1 site has been added to the category. I thought recently I would apply to be an editor, assuming they mustn't have one for that category. Low and behold, they aren't accepting editor submissions for my category!

Great news on getting listed zman, looks like you have a prime spot too! I'm afraid though until I get listed I will remain with little faith. I know people say its corrupt and its not worth the hassle, but it would still be nice to be listed in a nice high PR directory, with backlinks from all the directories that feed off it!

heapseo, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  11. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    What category tiptop?

zman, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  12. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    heapseo, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  13. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    tiptopvillas - that category is far from something that the ODP meta editors (the ones that approve new editor applications) would allow a new editor to edit. It's a serious magnet for all sorts of submission spam - they usually like you to get familiar with the directory in an easier-to-edit area.

If you are joining with the sole purpose of getting your site reviewed faster, then it's unlikely you will get accepted, I'm afraid.

Alucard, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  14. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like there is no editor and they are not accepting apps either. Man that is messed up.

Thanks tiptop, I really hope it helps as well. The last site I got listed did not show results in traffic for many months and I am not sure on whether to give the link in DMOZ any credit but this one looks pretty good and is located in a much better place.

Only time will tell.

zman, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  15. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    It's messed up that the category doesn't have a named editor, is a huge spam magnet that requires a more experienced editor and the ODP won't allow a novice editor to edit there?

Sorry, that makes plain sense to me, and isn't messed up at all.

Oh and there are plenty of editors who could edit there - no category has "no editor".

Alucard, Sep 7, 2005 IP
    zman likes this.
  16. zman

zman Peon

Best Answers:
    Now that you have explained it it makes perfect sense.

This goes back to why there is frustration with many webmasters. Tiptop has been waiting for a year. Would have helped to know that this category had a little more to it than meets the eye. He was sending in apps for listings and to be an editor and did not know about the backlog and need for vet editors.

I think the lack of communication is playing a big role in the building frustration.

All it took was a few quick e-mails between myself and an editor and we were totally on the same page and I understood what was happening with my submissions.

As always, thanks for clarifying Alucard.

zman, Sep 7, 2005 IP
  17. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I know its a serious directory, and mine is a serious site! applying to be an editor was a last resort, just to try and figure out the reason why that category is so static.

The fact that there is no editor currently wouldnt be that big an issue IF there had been one up until recently, but 12 months is quite a long time in the world of the webmaster and I have to say my lack of faith in DMOZ has been restored! Thanks for checking it out though zman.

heapseo, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  18. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    How on earth did you find out who the editor of your category was?!

heapseo, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  19. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    Every category has its own editor.. you can see it below "Category editors: name of the editor" if the catgeroy has no editors, just keep looking in main root of that category and you ll find the editor fitted for your chosen categry :)

boohlick, Sep 8, 2005 IP
  20. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Good :)

And for areas of the directory like that, that it typical.
    Well, as far as the need to vet editors, I think that is implicit in the amount of work you have to put in to apply to become an editor - there is obviously a reason for it.

The fact that tiptop applied for a category that is not suitable for a starting editor more than likely got communicated in the rejection letter.

It's also possible that the reviewing ODP meta-editor saw that the only reason tiptop was apploying was to get his/her own site reveiwed, and nothing more.

Well, that is one of the reasons why some editors venture out onto fora like this - to explain. There is some communication that goes on - it's obviously not enough for some, though.

Alucard, Sep 8, 2005 IP