1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Paid Inclusion

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Going Green, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is a wonderful line in the Dirty Harry movies where Harry says
    "Opinions are like ass***** everyones got one"

Anonymously, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  2. The Peoples SEO

The Peoples SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You don't believe me but you believed in a man in a red suit most of your life? Anyways you sound like a dam kid. I don't need you to believe me, I'm giving you a testimonial of my experience with DMOZ. Do with it as you wish...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    The Peoples SEO, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  3. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    lol don't get mad at me, I'm not an editor moderating a page full of dead links... Want to save DMOZ? then report all the categories that are being neglected or moderate them yourself. Don't get mad everytime someone point's the flaws at DMOZ...

DMOZ is losing millions in revenue, and for what? for a bunch of black hatters to run a muck of the directory? I know you sure as hell arnt going to pay them millions in lost revenue. Google is not stupid, they know black hatters become editors there, for the sole purpose of getting their own links included.

The day DMOZ goes the paid route, is the day Google gives them the juice they once had..

You even got people taking out jobs on freelancer...

"Description
    I am looking for a dmoz editor to include my websites (payment on guaranteed inclusion) "

"I am interested and can do your project, sir. I am experienced enough to fulfill it successfully. "

Yesterday at 11:43:52

http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Marketing/Looking-For-Dmoz-Editor-For.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    The Peoples SEO, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What does that matter? Over-writing the original date means NOTHING, as according to most editors it's 'not a queue'.

Qryztufre, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  5. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Who got mad? I just pointed out that yours is an opinion and everyone has one and that is all value your statement has. As an editall I can edit any category!

Anonymously, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As a meta editor I can have you kicked out of the directory if I get two friends to back me up!

I'll prove I am a meta editor as soon as you provide proof of your status.

I'd assume because they would charge for the service....

That falls down to quality vs. quantity. Yeah yeah, we both collect stamps, but I have a collection of mint condition rare ones, all the ones you have you picked up from the post office yesterday. There can still be a matter of quality within a hobby... and in many cases, people actually take more pride in their hobby then their job... now look at the quality of the two directories and you may see I am right.

So much for serving the end user. If a site is listable, and is a benefit to those that need it, it should not make a difference what the owner of the site does.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    Qryztufre, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  7. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:

The Peoples SEO, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You brought up making DMOZ into a directory where review are paid for, do you think DMOZ would have any editors left if it were a paid link and we did not do this as a hobby. BOTW is an excellent directoiry, fine staff but Google do not use their material despite it being on the model you want DMOZ to be.

How many editors do you rub shoulders with? Having done 30,000 edits over 10 years I can assure you I know plenty, correspond with plenty and know only dedicated people. How much time have you spent on the inside of DMOZ? None I guess, unless you were one of the few bad apples we have had and got yourself and your site booted. Just my opinion, I am entitled to that as you are about DMOZ and its dedicated staffing.

Last time I saw Snooks ne wore no hat at all and when I saw Jim Noble he had a blue hat, me I hate the things they make my head sweaty.

As I said how do you know they are not editors who use the honey trap in order to catch slimey webmasters who want to try and bribe their way in?
    Yes we all have opinions, you have voiced yours loudly and vociferously and in such a way that unless you have a chip on your shoulder about DMOZ you sure want to spend a lot of energy trying to make your opinions count. That just seems nuts to me, someone, who has not had anything to do with DMOZ, wants to waste their time talking drivel about its editors. No this is sour grapes and a bad dose of diarrhoea from eating them.

9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Do have to admit that we have had some editors who have listed their own site and then found an excuse to leave, one way of looking at it is that we get a couple more sites listed, but it is in very poor taste and I don't hold editors who do that in very high regard.

10. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:

Listen dude, you sound like a good guy but that doesn't mean that DMOZ has not been rendered useless. Nobody says let me DMOZ the word goose neck and see what recipes I can find. The only people that go to DMOZ is webmasters, and the vast majority of them can't even get a single site included in a page full of dead links, can you believe that sh*#?

I am not even going to bother asking you how many of your own sites are included DMOZ. Spare me the "My Sites meet all the guidelines" B.S I also see you totally ignored Qryztufre's comment that as a meta editor he would get you dropped from DMOZ.

And just because I speak the truth about a dead directory, does not mean I have a chip on my shoulder. I Quit using DMOZ years ago. I do like to call things the way I see it though. I show you a link where editors are including links for $30 and you are making excuses for it. "how do you know they are not editors who use the honey trap in order to catch slimey webmasters who want to try and bribe their way in? " Dude that is the dumbest sh*# I have ever heard. That editor was looking to make $30 and you call webmasters slimey? Dude you are a joke, seriously...

I can't wait until DMOZ goes the paid route, so Google can give them the Juice they once had, and we won't have to put up with the scumbags that have run a muck with the directory. DMOZ has become as useless as tits on a bull, webmasters can't even get a single site included on a page full of dead links.

The Peoples SEO, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Glad you stand at the door of DMOZ and ask everyone who enters why they have done so and who they are. Refer back to my comment about the Dirty Harry movies.

The real issue here is that we never have had any interest in any value that we do or don't give to a link. I don't list a site for the sake of the site owner, I do it because I want to collect links as my hobby and if that is useful to others that's fine. Now how can me being able to continue following my hobby be useless? It may be useless to web masters, but I don't care about that, I don't indulge my hobby for their benefit. I don't collect stamps for the benefit of the countries that issue them, they may get a benefit, but that's not why I do it and if they ceased to get any benefit, would that render my hobby useless? Of course not, its useful to me!

But I am happy to tell you that for a few years I had one site listed but for the last 5 years I have not had a site that I own listed in the directory, NOT A SINGLE ONE. And I have listed about 15,000 over that period.

ROFLAO>>>ROFLAO>>>>>ROFLAO

Sorry I don't read his posts anymore, but do you realise that he edited about 4 sites including listing his own and then left! Meta editor....ROFLAO>>>>>>ROFLAO
    You call me a joke......ROFLAO.

Anonymously, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  12. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    The Peoples SEO, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  13. Erebus

Erebus Peon

Best Answers:

I agree with every word. DMOZ almost seems like a racket, their method being: "Make it seem as though it's impossible to get listed, unless you find the door and pay your way in."

In any case, it's clearly dying. The only people who visit it are webmasters, for SEO purposes... once they realize that, for many obvious reasons, they are wasting their time, DMOZ will quietly go into the night.

Erebus, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  14. cmontes

cmontes Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not a web expert like many of you here are but from the information I've been reading in forums it seems to me that directories are a thing of the past or becoming useless. Why then would any directory start charging for a listing now? Regardless of the quality of link I'm curious to see what others thinks will become more relevant for the search engines. Personally I'm going to contribute more to my personal blog. I think it's just a matter of time before Google or any other major search engine will discredit links from directories, blog posting, article submissions and social bookmarking. Just my opinion but again I'm no expert just trying to learn from some.

cmontes, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  15. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BRILLIANT - move ahead of the class - we got a bright one here!

You are absolutely correct.

helleborine, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  16. Turkish_domainer

Turkish_domainer Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i did submit my site yahoo directory , i m not sure about the pr ..

Turkish_domainer, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    We list hundreds of sites each week, we warn people that paying to get in will likely be discovered and if an editors has been that stupid s/he together with the site will be removed and banned for ever. If you value a link in DMOZ are you stupid enough to pay for what is free and offering or making a payment will then keep the site out forever? That's the economics of the mad house.

Please show me the evidence that you have the faintest clue about who visits DMOZ and the directory was created for hobbyists to indulge a hobby of collecting and collating links, it still serves that purpose for many thousands of editors, so what is dying? We never asked Google to use our data, we never had any influence over them, we have never listed sites for google's benefit. Our reason for existence ius still the same, yopu might feel that its influence is dying, but that is a a debate about who uses DMOZ data, not about DMOZ, its structure or if it is paid or not.

If paid inclusion did anything it would ruin its very nature, it might make a lot of money, but it could not actually list or review the number of sites that people paid for reviews because it would have a lot less editors. Infact I would believe that offering to accept payment for a review and/or paying editors to do that review would destroy the directory. BOTW use many editors who trained with DMOZ but DMOZ management, which would be AOL would have to start recruiting well trained editors in massive numbers and that would just not happen. Taking payment, in my view, would kill it stone dead.

Anonymously, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  18. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    Dam dude, what the hell is your problem? You have 1,351 post's and every single one on DMOZ threads. You give no contributions to this forum, and instead argue with everybody that doesn't agree with you about DMOZ... What a jerk... You act like you get paid to argue with everybody that doesn't agree with your views about DMOZ. Why don't you just leave dude. You're annoying as hell... All you do is argue and with everyone that doesn't agree with your non sense... Why don't you post your editor name so can report you to AOL, so they can read all your post's.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    The Peoples SEO, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Stopped quoting or commenting on that famous meta editor?

Many editors we have now were there more or less at the start, I have been there for 10 of its 11/12 year existence. So who has run amuck with what? We have not put in all that time, all those hours of editing to self destruct, but if we took the sort of advice you give we would certainly push that button.

Anonymously, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  20. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    Dude what is your editor name, so I can report you to AOL??? I'm sure they would love to see how you argue with everyone that doesn't share your views with DMOZ... IF you love them so much post your editor name? I want them to read the 1300+ post you have posted in this forum. All you do is troll DMOZ threads here and argue with everyone that dosnt agree with you... Please post your editor name here so we can see how they feel about your trolling and flaming of people who don't agree with you...

I'm sure they will can you right away, you would be an embarrassment to DMOZ... If you are so proud of DMOZ, then post your editors name so we can report you to AOL. You are too much dude...

The Peoples SEO, Sep 16, 2010 IP