1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Paid Inclusion

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Going Green, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It will be while ever the Pope is Catholic

Anonymously, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  2. theseoguys

theseoguys Member

Best Answers:
    The reputation may be long gone amongst webmasters, but it is not long gone with Google. If you search "google directory", it goes directly to DMOZ (although the interface is different). So obviously Google thinks it is important. I am not the judge as to why it takes so long to get submitted. Neither you or I have any clue whatsoever the volume of sites submitted daily, weekly, monthly, whatever. You'll also note that most categories remain unedited. So, whether we agree or not, is irrelevant, Google thinks DMOZ is important, for information, and the link factor from DMOZ matters to Google. One link from DMOZ alone, can put you on page one, I have seen proof.

theseoguys, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  3. theseoguys

theseoguys Member

Best Answers:
    dir.yahoo has paid inclusion. There is definite SEO value in that. Don't believe, try, then tell me otherwise. As far as traffic value, I have had a couple of visits, and it was probably the first day of submission when the new listings were on the 1st page of the directory. So, yes, no traffic value. Depends on your defintion of value.

theseoguys, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  4. T117007

T117007 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would pay to get listed to dmoz. Over the past 4 years I've submitted my website around 10 times without any luck or correspondence. My competitors are listed and I also have noticed alot of dead links in the dmoz directory. It would be easier to pay to get listed.

shawn

T117007, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  5. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So you deliberatly break the guidelines you agree to when suggesting a site by submitting more than once, and now you complain about it? How do you think any directory (not just DMOZ) should treat those who do that?

Agent000, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  6. The Peoples SEO

The Peoples SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I find this funny, because most of the editors are corrupt... How many junk sites are listed in DMOZ, and you guys never accept any new sites... DMOZ doesn't have any integrity as is now. You have editors accepting money for inclusion, and only accepting their own sites or Buddie's site... The only reason you guys say don't do paid inclusion, is because it would cut into your own pockets... The worse thing you can do is allow some fake know it alls, who act like their poop don't stink run a directory. "The only way to get included in DMOZ is to become any editor of the category you want." that is some advice an editor gave me..

I rather pay $200 then to have some clown turn down my site, just because its competing with his or his buddy's site...

And don't ask me why I call DMOZ corrupt, I know I've had quite a few editors try to over charge me for inclusion over the years...

DMOZ = Failed Directory.

I think they are starting to realize how slimmy the editors have become... Why let a bunch of forum cowboy's ruin a good thing , when you can make money off of it.

Yahoo has been charging for inclusion for sometime now, and are never accused of being corrupt. A yahoo Back link carries more juice then a page full of dead links anyhow...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    The Peoples SEO, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  7. Agent000

Best Answers:
    And your evidence for that is?
    How do you explain the 6000-9000 new sites that get listed each month?

8. T117007

T117007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep...

I wait for around 4 to 5 months and try it again. I'm guessing that within 5 months without inclusion the answer was no. My site changes significantly in that amount of time.

T117007, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Over generalize much?

Mind pointing out which sites I am trying to get in? Mind pointing out where I say its useless?

See, my arguments are MUCH more valid ;)

It would be nice if there was at least a bit of communication between the suggester and the suggestee. I'm not asking for site reviews... just hoping beyond hope for at least an automated system in DMOZ2.0. Why?

What makes it hard to get into the ODP? Is it because of the high quality standards, or is it because of the wait time for a site to be reviewed? Well, according to the currently listed sites, I'm thinking the former... yet I keep hearing people say it could be the latter? I wonder why that is...
    Heh... yeah, just try that being a candy striper. *rolls eyes* "hold on buddy, I'll help you find your dying grandfather in a few hours, I'm kinda busy doing something else now. I only need to help one person every three months" or better yet! " Sorry buddy, I'm not helping you find your dying mother, I only help the people I think are worthy of getting into the hospital".

It's not always about what is the best site... but honestly, look what is listed.

Qryztufre, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  10. Agent000

Best Answers:
    1. You agree when you submit to do so only once, so why did you deliberatly break the guidelines and then expect a listing?
    2. All the resubmission does is just overwrites the previous one with the new date!

You are your own worst enemy.

11. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    Dude stop it, quit making excuses for bad editing.... 5 months is more then enough time to find out if you have been rejected.

"How long does it take for my site to be listed in the ODP?

"Depending on the activity level of the editors in your area, it may take up to 2 weeks or more for your site to be reviewed."

Paid inclusion would be the best thing DMOZ could do to save that directory... Google isn't stupid, they know what goes on there, they know people sign up as editors to get their own links included. Dmoz has lost alot of juice over the years. Unlike the editors, Google can count how many dead links are there. DMOZ has become a grave yard for links. Paid inclusion will bring it instant credibility...

http://www.dmoz.org/help/submit.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  12. Agent000

Best Answers:
    But it only overwrites the previous submission with the new date! They are their own worst enemy!
    Can you read? "Depending on the activity level of the editors in your area, it may take up to 2 weeks or more for your site to be reviewed." ??/ You missed the "or more".

13. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    Dude stop it with the read jokes, most of those categories are dead with only like 8 or 9 links. The editors only sign in, when they need to include their own or a friends site. If you are an editor, then answer me this question? How many of your own or buddies site's have you accepted for inclusion? better yet, what is your category so we can see how well maintained it is?

14. Agent000

Best Answers:
    First you proved you can't read. now you accusing me of being an editor when I am not.

Are you claiming that the 6000-9000 new sites that getted added each month all belong to editors or their friends?

15. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    You're the one acting like you're an editor, and second check your spelling before you go and crack reading jokes "getted"

Anyways I am out, I thought I was talking to an editor, not some wanna be editor... This whole time you haven't disputed anything I said about DMOZ, but you counter with reading jokes. Give me a freaking break...

16. Agent000

Best Answers:
    So in other words you are not capable of answering the questions and get off taking pot shots at people. Thank you for destroying your own case.

17. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:
    You haven't countered a single thing I said, but came out with reading jokes, Get lost you troll...

18. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Lets see ... you came here and made some statements. I asked for evidence. You provided none. You put up a quote from DMOZ, but missed the "or more" bit. I pointed that out. You claimed that 5 months is OK to resubmit. I pointed out that its not as it just overwites the previous date..... let me see ... I think that makes you the troll.

19. The Peoples SEO

Best Answers:

You asked me for evidence of what? Does my name say Magnum P.I? I didn't know I was holding an investigation on DMOZ. I've paid as low as $5 for inclusion into DMOZ before, even though I know it was worth more. Not because I was being cheap, but because I knew the scumbag would accept it... Since then I went the route of most webmasters, and didn't even bother with DMOZ again. Like I said before, the day DMOZ goes with paid inclusion, is the day that failed directory comes back to life.

20. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I don't beleive you. I think you are making that up. Can you please provide some evidence.
    Have you not noticed that NO ONE who claims to have bribed an editor or claims it, can actually provide any evidence. That is why i do not believe it until comeone comes up with the goods.