1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz not accepting submissions

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by seodelhi, Dec 6, 2004.

Looks like free for all submission to dmoz has come to end. They are asking for editor login, when submitting a site.

seodelhi, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  2. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Every category I go to is the same as it always has been. Where are you seeing this?

yfs1, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  3. seodelhi

seodelhi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here and everywhere i am submitting.

http://www.dmoz.org/Business/Arts_and_Entertainment/Fashion/Design/

seodelhi, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  4. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Works for me in that category, just clicking Submit URL, looks the same as normal.

dct, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  5. strangerrr

strangerrr Peon

Best Answers:
    strangerrr, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  6. ResearchTechs

ResearchTechs Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah.. Dmoz is still accepting the free submissions, just need to click "Suggest URL" After you've drilled sufficiently far into the categories.

ResearchTechs, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  7. seodelhi

seodelhi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, its accepting them now, but just for some time during the day, it was showing up editor login box. I checked that with other people as well in my circle and they confirmed the same.

Anywayzz now its working fine

sorry for the trouble

seodelhi, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  8. Birdie

Birdie Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't panic. Its a tech problem that has been identified and fixed.

However, the sooner DMOZ stops accepting all submissions the better - editors can then get on with actually building categories with good sites.

Birdie, Dec 6, 2004 IP
  9. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    Tsk Tsk, not all editor picked sites are that good. Especially compared to the actual over 1000 sites in the "Directory" related sections I went through just two weeks ago vs the dead links, vs the redirects, vs the single page to another site( got to click on a link to actually see this..lol), vs crap content vs the sites that had 50% or more in dead links, vs the incomplete content sites, vs the obvious this is "my editor site", "etc etc etc etc" (yes, I could go on) are ANY indication of your idea of "Editorial" quality and control.

Just because someone may be an editor, does not mean all editored do the job, build sites worthy of listing (yet they always do seem to get listed), nore do the job right. Neither does it mean all sites submitted are crapola or as quality as we submitters might believe them to be. I will be man enough to say I just don't know if my own site is.

Needless to say, the fact is, I'd say the tables are probably balanced about 50/50 based on the supposed "Quality" sites I've seen in the directory in quite a few different categories I have ventured looking for "Authority" links over the last total 6 months... Soooooo

Please spare us the typical editor "Thou art better than Thy developers & Submitters" routine in this forum. I believe you can venture over to the DMOZ forum for that non-sense where you can freely join in with the editors who will welcome your disdain for those seeking to submit a site while other editors freely delete posts from those that put them in there proper place for responses which are not appropriate, demeaning to posters and down right nasty.

I have come to understand how certain Editors think of submitters. They want sites that are older and established calling new site submitters: "the worst and most baised source you could possibly find" and "IF you are reviewng sites in submitted order, you are being extremely unfair to the best sites" and relating to the "best sites" statement "You are being extremely unfair to the honorable webmasters" and "You are being being unfair to the websites that have been available to surfers longest" and "You are willingly allowing yourself to be manipulated for sordid gain by the most despicable people on the web." and "I recommend that you change your practice. Before someone notice how poorly your approach serves our customer."

What did all this relate to? Why a simple editor of a small category decided to buck the trend and review sites based on the order they were submitted and had the nerve to stand up for doing it. These were the responses from a Sr Editor and I do in fact have it documented to back it up. So, for those willing to see, this is how DMOZ "Editors" look at you when you submit your site. Don't expect acceptance unless you know someone on the inside willing to list your site for you. Otherwise just simply refer to Birdies Comments again for a refresher:

We understand being an editor is voluntary (I personally would not want, nor ask for that job!), we understand they work for free, we understand it takes a tremendous amount of time and dedication to maintain and we would actually respect many of them much more if they would only bother to show site developers and owner the respect we deserve as well. Even when they disagree with us or our methods.

However, please thank you for respecting other posters in this forum who do not come here to be demeaned by editors or editor surrogates, but come to get assistance from professionals who want them to succeed in Site Development, SEO and Directory submissions done the right way! I most certainly understand you defending the honor if a unsolicited derogatory remark is made, however, derogatory implication without solicitation are simply rude and worthy of sharp rebuke. ;)

Cheers

gchaney, Dec 6, 2004 IP