1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Listing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by iSamurai, Jul 25, 2010.

1. graeme

graeme Guest

Best Answers:
    comment, not a whinge. i'm just pointing out that they must be pretty understaffed

graeme, Aug 2, 2010 IP
  2. jrcwork01

jrcwork01 Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't realize that was the situation over there at DMOZ with volunteers. I generally assumed there was paid staff as well. That kind of explains why stuff is so slow.

jrcwork01, Aug 2, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is not really true, getting a site reviewed may be slow because no one wants to edit there or no one wants to use the suggestions there. But please believe that an editors job is not to try and list as many suggestions as possible. It is to build categories for searchers who want categorised, collated links to do so and suggestions is only one resource they can use or choose not to use. The directory does not set itself up as a listing service to site owners.

Anonymously, Aug 3, 2010 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No one said it did, and no one ever said that all the submissions the unreviewed queue are there due to webmasters either, but many editors do seem to think that. And as for not using the unreviewed queue thats a bit strange and certainly goes against what you have said.

Why on earth would one NOT want to use it... the unreviewed queue is right there in the dashboard! How much easier could it get? Spam? well, how is a search engine any different? How is ANY source any different? If the editor is not willing to use the tools right there in front of them, who is to say they are listing anything but their own sites (as some certainly seemingly do).

Qryztufre, Aug 3, 2010 IP
  5. ksb

ksb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    great discussion.... love to read this thread.... still i tried a lot but site still not listed on DMOZ...

ksb, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You obviously missed the bit about not resubmitting as the new submission just overwrites the previous submission with the new date ... really bad thing to do.

Agent000, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  7. photohead

photohead Member

Best Answers:
    I submitted mine about six months ago, following all the guidelines and heard nothing I think they are all manually checked so can take forever. I wont bother in future!

photohead, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Glad you followed the guidelines, it helps the volunteer editors who work in their spare time when it comes to reviewing a site for a possible listing.

yes they are all manually checked and if you read around this thread and the sticky you will see that we do not promise any timescale for that review, it can be from a few days to a few years.

Also just worth pointing out that we do not exist to try and list as many sites as we can from the suggestions pool, editors can take or leave the pool as they choose. Task is to build categories for people who want to use collated, categorised categories for their internet search, we are not interested in any value a listing might or might not give to a URL that we list.

Anonymously, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  9. Cereus Poker Bonus

Cereus Poker Bonus Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot depends on luck. Got my tutorial site with great content included within 3 months. Have other sites with good content that isnt in after 1 year

Cereus Poker Bonus, Aug 10, 2010 IP