1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Listing time period

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by worldwideluxuryyacht, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chiptel

chiptel Peon

Best Answers:
    Buddy, can you please provide a list of smaller directories where I can list my website. I am still on the queue for 2 years straight on DMOZ! Giving up on that.

chiptel, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  2. dakshinfo

dakshinfo Peon

Best Answers:
    the approval time of dmoz is 4 to 6 months you have to wait until it will be listed

dakshinfo, Aug 9, 2011 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The official time frame is up to two weeks or more. Which means any time between the moment you submit your suggestion & the end of time. While 4-6 months is certainly included in that, your mileage may vary.

Qryztufre, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Great. I will submit a site today. In two weeks I will report back with the location/link of the listed site. ;)

Ah, may have to do that some other time. www.dmoz.org not responding. Site times out.

Mia, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Then you must wait for the 'or more' :p

Hmmm.... they remove sites for that. maybe the paradox of DMOZ de-listing itself is causing the delays!

Qryztufre, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  6. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Funny...

Well, it will be interesting given the site submitted is a charitable not for profit that has been around for 1/2 a century. There are already listings for it in several state wide cats, except our own. If ever there was a site more eligible for consideration this one is. Not only full of content and updated regularly, it's extremely popular and high traffic. No adsense or other MFA stuff.. Just a good clean site that's been around for a very long time.

The 2 week countdown begins... or more.

Mia, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  7. ceint_com

ceint_com Active Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is a though one. Easiest way to get in is to snatch a dropped domain that is already there ;)

ceint_com, Aug 25, 2011 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Well, its been well over 2 weeks: http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Organiz...tional/North_America/United_States/Wisconsin/

No listing for http://lakegenevajaycees.org (Lake Geneva, WI.)

Mia, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  9. abhijit

abhijit Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its on dmoz editor, they can approve your website in 7 days or it may take years

abhijit, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think I've pretty much proven that editing as we know it is completely non-existent any more.

Mia, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  11. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This has been explained many times before in this forum but folks seem to forget.

• Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do.
    • If none of our thousands of editors is interested in working in a category, no work gets done there (except by QC robots).
    • Any listing delay (for a listable website) is usually because of resource limitations, not bloody mindedness.
    I've checked and Mia's chosen category hasn't been edited since 2008-02-28. (Unusually, the date at the bottom of the category page is correct :)) Expecting this situation to change within a couple of weeks is highly optimistic. Posting here is unlikely to change anything, if only because of the precedent it would set.

One final point: If no editor is interested in working in a category, we can deduce that its relative importance is low.

jimnoble, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  12. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    In that particular JCI category, I'd agree. Your single example can't be extrapolated to all other categories though. In Wales and most of Ireland and NZ a processing wait of more than a month would be exceptional. (I speak from personal knowledge.) I'm sure that hundreds of other sectors are in a similar situation.

13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think my example shows just what is wrong with and why so many or frustrated with the ODP. Here we have a site that was properly submitted into an appropriate category by geographical location and subject matter. It is a 50 year old chapter of a 90 year old non-profit organization. It's not a MFA site or some other crappy spammy site devoid of content. It's regularly updated and completely appropriate in its listing and requested category. The request was made several weeks ago.

As you said before, that Cat has not even been edited in 3 years.

I do not think that indicated that categories' relative importance is low. I think it is more of an indication that no one cares to list in an ODP that is not updated.

This is just ONE example. I can come up with thousands more if necessary.

I think it would be more appropriate for Google and other SE's to take the necessary steps to deindex the ODP entirely. It's content, aside from being very outdated is irrelevant and wasteful.

Back to that "relative importance is low" category. I'd be willing to bet that importance has little to do with the lack of editing of categories. I think a lack of responses to requests for listings is driving the overall lack popularity.

I doubt there's a resource limitation when interest in listing is equally as low as editing the handful of requests that come in.

Mia, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  14. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry but I didn't understand your last two paragraphs.

15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I'm saying that there's little interest in listing in a directory that is not updated to begin with.

Mia, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Why would this be? Simply because none of the editors want to bother with something, does not mean that the end user would find it's importance low. There is also the point, that in the case of what Mia is talking about, if random cities have a low importance, then why are they even listed at all... wouldn't it make more sense to simply delete the entirety of the regional category at the ODP it's importance is low? Yeah, yeah, some local areas have a lot of action... but so what? Just because an EDITOR has an interest in one place over another, makes the other one non-important? Seriously?

Qryztufre, Aug 29, 2011 IP
  17. ngphuc2k9

ngphuc2k9 Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't respond from dmoz.org after 25 days.

ngphuc2k9, Sep 5, 2011 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
  19. mit.kamal

mit.kamal Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Same thing is here. I also wait my site in Dmoz

mit.kamal, Sep 8, 2011 IP
  20. willow78

willow78 Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad I came across this. I have only been waiting around 2 weeks after first listing and keep checking back like every day.. Won't bother checking anymore.

willow78, Sep 8, 2011 IP