1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Link Value - Update from PubCon

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by chachi, Nov 17, 2005.

1. bradley

bradley Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm probably mistaken but - wasn't there a pre Jagger1,2,3 algo update that would have brought these changes into effect?

In any case, the duplicate content filter's been here for a lot onger than that, and wouldn't that penalise sites duplicating DMOZ content?

bradley, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The duplicate content filter is aimed (or was orginally) at exact duplicates - no one really knows how much needs to be changed before Google will no longer see it as "duplicate". It may be that they have fine-tuned this somewhat and that is part of what is impacting DMOZ clones but onlyt Google knows for sure.

As for pre-Jagger updates, I personally believe that Google did begin targeting directories some time ago - not just DMOZ clones but including DMOZ clones - because they had become a source of PageRank distortion. That's a suspicion only, however - not something I can prove.

minstrel, Nov 18, 2005 IP
  3. shaxs

shaxs Peon

Best Answers:
    Should I bother to try to get listed anymore?

shaxs, Nov 22, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you think your site has a hope, it won't hurt to submit it. Just don't sweat it if you never hear anything mjore about it.

minstrel, Nov 22, 2005 IP