1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

dmoz last edit doesn't really work.....?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by wounded1987, Jan 23, 2011.

wounded1987, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen editors comment elsewhere that its a known problem. The "beat up on DMOZ" whiners are using it as evidence that not category is being updated, when, in fact, you have just shown that they are.

Agent000, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  3. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    good.. that might mean we wont have to wait 1.5 years after all...

4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why does it mean that? Nothings changed. DMOZ are still adding 3000-6000 new sites a month like they always have, its just due to tech problem the "last updated" is not changing.

Agent000, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  5. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you might be right..... it will depend how much that particular category will have pending submissions i guess.

6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on when a volunteer editor, working in their spare time, volunteers to edit a category that can be from a few days to a few years.

Just a note, editors names at the bottom of categories mostly defines the limits of that editors area of work, tehy can edit in any subcategories or sub sub categories etc in that tree. The exceptions are for the 200+ who can edit in any category on the directory and the names of these still appear at the bottom of some categories for historic reasons, but we do have to be shown listed in at least one section.

Mention this because sometimes people say that some categories don't have an editor and every category has many editors, but reviewing the suggestions pool is when one of those who can edit there chooses to do so and use the suggestions pool as a resource.

Anonymously, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would assume that it means that due to the update function not working...

I assume he means that while the cat may say it's not been updated in 1.5 years, it may of actually been updated yesterday with his submission.

How do you think it does not mean that? Are you trying to imply that there is still a wait time of a year and a half, even though thousands of sites are being added each month?

Qryztufre, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  8. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Thousands of sites added probably have little to do with websites submitted, I'm betting most submissions are pure spam since only clueless SEO's still use DMOZ for anything. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 30, 2011 IP