1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ is back up!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by wmicro, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

However, Yahoo Directory (October 24, 2006) now supports the Open Directory Project (ODP) DMOZ. See this page at: http://www.ysearchblog.com/archives/000368.html

So what does all means, time will tell in the year 2007 and we will see what happened to DMOZ as a company. Notwithstanding, since AOL and Netscape is now using Google results.

Will AOL ever use their own company or will they still use Google results in this coming up year 2007?

Will DMOZ ever recover from this black out?

At the same the time, Dogpile.com, the search engine that combines the top results from all the leading search engines, ranked highest in overall customer satisfaction among Internet users, according to the J.D. Power and Associates 2006 Residential Online Service Customer Satisfaction Study.

http://www.dmoz.com

wmicro, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  2. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ivan Bajlo, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Wooohoooo - and my unreviewed has gone from >500 to 21!

sarahk, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  4. wmicro

wmicro Peon

Best Answers:
    Now what will AOL screw up next?

DMOZ Obituaries

DMOZ was founded in June of 1998 by Rich Skrenta under the name GnuHoo.

Rich Skrenta founded the Directory Mozilla project ( DMOZ ) to create a cooperative environment that would allow volunteer editors to keep up with the internet explosion. Prior to the project, no directory staff could review, add, and manage the vast amount of submissions made to any human edited directory ( the problem was primarily identified with the Yahoo Directory ).

Since that time, The Open Directory Project has flourished. Thousands of volunteer editors maintain the website listings by managing their own specialized categories. This system of allowing people with specific interests to manage related categories is the cornerstone of the "republic" ideology that has since defined DMOZ as the single authority directory of websites on the internet.

Since its inception, over 4 million sites - 74,719 editors - over 590,000 categories.

Then they screw up when they sold it to AOL.

Now lay to rest on this day December 19, 2006 what was I thing a good company.

Will DMOZ ever recover?

wmicro, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  5. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    May he rest in peace.;)

Will DMOZ ever recover?[/QUOTE]

Let's hope so and do the best.:D

vulcano, Dec 19, 2006 IP
    jjwill likes this.
  6. dhruv37

dhruv37 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dhruv37, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  7. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    That is probably beacuse they are using database from 2001. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  8. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    The work to restore the ODP continues - the first step way back when was to get the public side up. Unfortunately this was an older back-up, and some of the sites that had been added or removed (including sites that were fairly prominently mentioned on DP) showed up again.

My understanding is that since then, the public pages have been updated with newer information that could be restored, so if there are sites that were identified as objectionable and are being listed, it would be great if they could be identified so that they can be removed asap. The more community-minded posters on here can help the ODP in this by being an extra set of eyes. If you don't want to post your findings publicly on here then PM it to any active editor on this forum so that it can be taken care of.

Yesterday, as has been talked about in this thread, the next phase began - the editor side was opened up so that us editors could get in, "kick the tires", as it were, and see how well things are working.

Submissions are still turned off, as far as I know, while some other back-end utilities are being worked on. Currently I have seen no official estimate on when they will be activated again.

Hope this helps to dispel some of the confusion about what is going on.

Edit to add: Looks like Editor Applications haven't been started up yet either.

Alucard, Dec 19, 2006 IP
    jjwill and compostannie like this.
  9. wmicro

wmicro Peon

Best Answers:
    It would help those who are new to this forums, we had a list the editor that talk on DP or using this forums.

wmicro, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  10. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that most editors make themselves known here - just read around the forums and I think it is quite obvious....

Alucard, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  11. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just before christmas... I wonder for how long it's gonna be ok this time :D:D

irka, Dec 19, 2006 IP
  12. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    WhatiFind, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  13. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So what's the point having the editor section working when nobody can submit?

I think it's a great opportunity for DMOZ editors to review all those sites so they have a 0 pending queue in all categories, until people can submit again :D:D
    If they work that hard all the sites submitted to DMOZ in 2007 will be reviewed within a week,

dreaming...

irka, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  14. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    The point is that there are many things editors do that don't involve "processing suggestions". There is link checking, testing and debugging, category reorganizations, mining listed sites for new listings, piles of notes that were taken during the down time of sites to be listed, internal communications to read and respond to, etc, etc.

lmocr, Dec 20, 2006 IP
  15. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    only editor panel come back . you can submit any site or submit editor request

trichnosis, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  16. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:

You meant Can't right ?

Plus if db is old from 2001 i think dmoz is quite useless now (as if it was useful ever) . cause from 2k onwards internet picked up and most of the sites came into existence , so if they have lost those sites i doubt dmoz can ever recover.

@Alucard who has time to go through dmoz and point out objectionable sites? I thought editors were there for that purpose, so what are they doing ?

paidhosting, Dec 21, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  17. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Who in the world told you that? And why would you believe them? The directory is recovered, healthy and up to date. :)

@paidhosting nice avatar... see my signature :D

compostannie, Dec 21, 2006 IP
    paidhosting likes this.
  18. wmicro

wmicro Peon

Best Answers:

Yap, Since only, the editors can get in, They probably updated their sites only.
    The fact remains, and they are the only one who can get in.
    Furthermore, if this is the case in our website should be listed and up to date. ... nop! they’re not there.

It is this author's opinion
    Will AOL ever use their own company or will they still use Google results in this coming up year 2007?

Will DMOZ ever recover from this black out?

wmicro, Dec 21, 2006 IP
  19. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess? :D (hint)

I'm very persuasive since I don't have a dog as avatar. :D

Not really my former categories look more like Google version then last time when I checked then while I was still active editor. :(

Ivan Bajlo, Dec 22, 2006 IP
  20. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Shame on you Ivan! Some of these nice people don't know what a joker you are and they think you're being serious. It makes them look foolish. ;)

I don't think your categories even existed in 2001. :D

compostannie, Dec 22, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.