1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ How To Get Listed?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Ferrarislave, May 23, 2006.

1. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Can we act like adults...please?

No rules of the forum appear to be being broken in this thread....SO STOP REPORTING POSTS!

Crazy_Rob, May 27, 2006 IP
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. :D

Have mercy on poor editors, they are not used to function in OPEN society. :)

gworld, May 27, 2006 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  3. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:

I really don't understand either side of the DMOZ battle. Are most people just arguing because they're bored? It makes no sense otherwise. :eek:

Crazy_Rob, May 27, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I can tell you that's not the case for me, Rob. Notwithstanding his posting style, I don't believe it's the case for gworld, either, or for several editors, notably brizzie and compostannie.

However, there are clearly more than a few who are here just for the troll factor - lmocr, crossman, orlady, nebuwhatever, pagode before he got banned, etc., come to mind.

And then there are one or two like ishfish and sidjf who seem to vacillate between the troll world and the world of reality, depending on their mood.

If you like, I could perhaps provide you with a weekly digest. :)

minstrel, May 27, 2006 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  5. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    To the contrary, minstrel, my interest (and that of the other senior ODP editors who post here) is in trying to correct the erroneous information (that's a nice way of saying "lies") that often gets posted regarding the directory.

Unfortunately, we need to wear flak jackets when we post here, because we are subjected to relentless insults, taunts, and accusations that we are the lowest form of humanity.

orlady, May 27, 2006 IP
  6. ishfish

ishfish Peon

Best Answers:
    That's why I post on this forum.
    That also seems to be accurate. At least for me. My mood depends on how much ice cream I've had recently. To keep ishfish in a good mood, please donate all your ice cream to me.

ishfish, May 27, 2006 IP
    Crazy_Rob likes this.
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    It has been you and nebulous who have posted all of the misinformation in this thread, orlady. Frankly, your record on misinformation and smokescreening isn't anything to brag about in other threads, either.

<Edit: I was thinking of the thread about the purported DMOZ copyright on category names here - that's the misinformation I had in mind, although there's plenty more where that came from>

Have you not noticed that editors who come here and don't try to bullshit people or engage in the typical RZ tactic of distraction via personal attacks don't need flak jackets?

I just noticed this.... :D

Man, some of you people are whiners! :eek:

8. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    All editors who disagree with minstrel are trolls - I'm glad to be a troll then - have to come up with a new name for gworld and minstrel (when he wants to be an xxxx), since troll is obviously a compliment now. :rolleyes:

lmocr, May 27, 2006 IP
    orlady likes this.
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No, grandma... just the mindless drones.

Haven't you noticed that Annie and Brizzie often disagree with me, as did Alucard when he used to post here. I never considered them trolls. They actually have some points to make and are capable of independent thought and logic, something I realize is totally foreign to you. I've no doubt that joining the military was a good career choice for you. :rolleyes:

10. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL! :D That's the crazy that someone would report anything posted in this thread. Sounds like the work of my best buddy, sidjf. :)

EveryQuery, May 27, 2006 IP
  11. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You will be surprised to know how much of a difference this forum is making in DMOZ. ;)
    They have already censored both internal forum, RZ and even some web masters forums by placing their editors as moderators but they have failed to control DP and it is making them crazy. ;)
    To solve your problem, I suggest that you should introduce a new type of ban that is called whiner penalty, so every time one these whiners complain about a post without a reason, they will get 2 days ban. :D

gworld, May 28, 2006 IP
    AGS likes this.
  12. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this a new development or a gworld piece of disinformation. I have only seen one post on internal forums ever removed and that was a removed editor who hacked back in using another editor's account.

brizzie, May 28, 2006 IP
  13. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    No brizzie, this is not true. Your recollection of how the internal forum works obviously survived the memory wipe. :D

Not true. I don't see them trolling at all. You may not like their posting style but I generally agree with most of what they post. In fact I can't recall ever disagreeing with lmocr, not even once so it's hard for me to understand why she's on the "bad list" and I'm not. :confused:

I'm especially pleased that orlady comes here to answer questions. You may not like what she says or how she says it but you can be sure you're getting good information from the highest levels at DMOZ. Anyone with a genuine interest in how DMOZ works would be foolish to dismiss her as a troll.

compostannie, May 28, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    In the realm of misinformation and disinformation, she is one of the worst offenders. You know that I respect you as a person, Annie. I've also told you previously that your flaw is that you believe and trust the wrong people sometimes.

I don't have access to inner DMOZ forums or memos or whatever goes on there. I judge people on what they post here - a recent example of that was when you tried to tell me that I'd misjudged sidjf - as I told you then, I was drawing my conclusions about him on what he posted here and what he posted here was smokescreening and trolling for the most part. There was actually a bit of a change in his posting after that so I'm willing to acknowledge that you may be right about him.

Maybe you're right about lmocr too, although I doubt it. In her posts here, she reveals nothing but exactly what you'd expect from a sycophant hoping for promotion. Maybe you're even right about orlady - all I'll say about her is that she does nothing useful here except post disinformation and then whine about needing a flak jacket.

These people don't seem to mind joining in rat pack Resourceless Zone attacks on webmasters asking simple questions. What happens here is tame in comparison. But if they are on the receiving end of anything that displeases them, they squeal like baby pigs.

Gworld is right: What really irks people like lmocr and orlady is they don't have the authority to lock threads and ban people at DP so they can shut down discussions that aren't going in their favor.

minstrel, May 28, 2006 IP
  15. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    I stand by the accuracy of the information I have posted here regarding ODP/dmoz, minstrel.

Perhaps you consider it to be "misinformation" because you did not like what I said (perhaps because you preferred a different version of the story posted by some other current or former ODP editor or editor wanna-be).

You apparently feel that I was incorrect when I suggested that you consider deeplinking to be immoral. That was not "misinformation" but merely an incorrect inference on my part -- that was the only logical explanation I could find for the vehemence of your statements regarding deeplinks.

orlady, May 28, 2006 IP
  16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That's the scary part - how could someone with so little knowledge or understanding manage to get herself promoted to administrator?

Or perhaps it's just plain wrong.

No. The misinformation I am discussing is your total lack of understanding of copyright. But thanks for the (delayed) response to my question. Please also thank the committee for helping you to formulate your response.

minstrel, May 28, 2006 IP
  17. orlady

orlady Peon

Best Answers:
    Since neither you nor I are intellectual-property lawyers, neither of us can provide authoritative opinion on the matter of copyright.

I can, however (as I have done in previous posts on this topic), refer you and others to the official dmoz directives (which were written and/or vetted by copyright lawyers) on the matter of copyright and authorization to use dmoz products, at http://dmoz.org/guidelines/copyright.html and http://dmoz.org/license.html. Here are the excerpts most relevant to discussions here, which I have quoted or paraphrased previously:

Copyright information:
    For data users:
    Consult the cited URLs for the complete current versions of these legal documents.

orlady, May 28, 2006 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I hate to break it to you but anyone can claim anything, proving and enforcing it in a court will be totally another matter. ;)
    As you know, AOL lawyers do not have the best records of winning cases, as it is proved by hundreds of millions in fines paid to SEC and government.

gworld, May 28, 2006 IP
  19. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless you are planning on testing it gworld it is not your risk to take as to whether (a) it would end up in court, and (b) what the result would be. Paying fines is probably a minor niggle to the likes of AOL. Being on the wrong end of court costs and damages for a small business or individual would be somewhat more ruinous. Risk - probability x impact. So giving advice to encourage others to take the risk probably isn't a responsible action to take. Orlady has quoted the AOL position - if someone thinks it is worth taking the risk then they are better off assessing that with their legal advisors and not relying on forum guesses.

brizzie, May 28, 2006 IP
  20. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The risks are much bigger for AOL than any small business. ;)

It does not cost very much to register a small company, represent yourself in the court which means no lawyer cost. According to copyright laws, damages are based on financial loss which is amount to nothing in DMOZ case and even if any damage is awarded, the company has no asset and will go to bankruptcy.
    On the other hand if AOL loses the case, it will lose any copyright claim and DMOZ that is most likely booked as huge value in their books, becomes worthless.
    Also, I am not giving advice to anyone to do anything, I am stating my opinion that DMOZ claim for copyright is not valid. :)

gworld, May 28, 2006 IP