1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Help

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by MountainLife, Nov 25, 2005.

1. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Can I answer this one.

Percentages and numbers of affiliate links and ads are immaterial and variable. Hence you will get different answers from different editors relating to different categories.

The existence of adsense and affiliate links is not a reason for a site to be rejected. Sites have to be funded somehow, except by the wealthy. The rule editors follow is to block out affiliate links and ads and consider only what is left. If that meets the quality threshold for the category concerned then the site is listable. A site that is designed to provide information and is funded by advertising links has not got a problem. A site that is designed to generate income from advertising links and includes limited information as a sideline is unlikely to get past. Generally because the webmaster is lazy and the "information" is usually a rehash or even a direct copy of something available elsewhere, a prime source.

Another issue that might arise is where the advertising links obscure the actual information. That has happened a number of times - the editor looks at the home page and it is chock full of links so the site is dismissed but beneath the home page is some good stuff. The editor never gets to it because the advertising got in the way. The same would happen to any random surfer hitting the site. So it isn't just how many, what percentage, but where on the site. Can the editor easily see and assess the unique content?

Each case is treated on its own merits and if it is borderline an editor will usually seek other editors' opinions.

brizzie, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  2. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Can I just add that where there is a problem with clarity of the guidelines then it is useful to us for them to be pointed out. Thanks.

brizzie, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  3. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't know - but based on what I've seen for my own rating, the value of a red or green seems to depend on the "rating" of the person doing the rating.

lmocr, Nov 27, 2005 IP