1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Giving 250+ Links Per Entry

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by digitalpoint, Mar 15, 2004.

1. ImBae.net

ImBae.net Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah, me too

ImBae.net, Jan 7, 2006 IP
    pagode likes this.
  2. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    At the end of the day, no matter who owns Dmoz and we can talk to we're all blue in the face about who own's what, and 'Hey wouldn't it be such a good idea to fire all editors in order to make some profit for AOL' should they decide to do so.

But not everyone has the money to pay for that sort of thing. I am still astounded that Yahoo ask for nearly $300 just to look. There's not many ready to risk that sort of cash just for a quick look over.

Are you seriously considering that DMOZ should fire all editors and go down this route ? Would't it just be another 'who has the most cash for inclusion' type of thing ?

And those that do pay their $$$ for a look over, and were not included, doesn't that lead you down the exact same path of percieved corruption taking the cash and not including the site ?

It seems a weird kind of 'equality' of all websites to me, asking those folks that CAN afford it, to pay for a looksee ??? :confused: And those that can't..have no chance ever of getting in. Money talks right in Yahoo ? Those that don't have it are stuffed. If you're seriously considering firing all editors and bringing this sort of sceanrio in. Then you must have more money than sense. Especially if you own quite a few websites, what hell that would be having to pay $200 odd just for someone to look at EACH of them.:eek:

If all editors were fired and this sort of 'submission process' put in place (for profit )... oh boy...You would be soooo harking back to the glory days of Dmoz, when you could just submit and forget for free. Believe me !!!

shygirl, Jan 8, 2006 IP
    pagode and Alucard like this.
  3. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    And what to do with all the sites DMOZ now includes without them ever been suggested at all. For me I guess that over 50% of sites I have listed weren't suggested. And those sites were more worth being listed than the average suggestion I have looked at.

Now commercial and affiliates get suggested a lot. Informational and small local companies almost never get suggested. Guess which type of site most DMOZ editors like most.

pagode, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If Google took over DMOZ, they would not have to necessarily make it paid inclusion. They'd simply have to make it business-like and professional. That would get rid of a lot of editors in itself :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jan 8, 2006 IP
  5. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    I guess that's still a pretty big IF. So until then, enjoy the free and simple submission process.

shygirl, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You mean the one that throws the URL into a giant void, often never to be seen again? That "free and simple submission process"? The one that many of your colleagues keep insisting isn't a "submission process" at all but rather a "suggestion process"? That one? :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jan 9, 2006 IP
  7. alhoop

alhoop Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure if this is related or not, recently I was accepted on DMOZ and shortly right after, I could see my site jumped so high in major competitive kwds, this could be just a coincident but I have not done anything different and there has not been any major update.

Or it could be a case of my getting out of the hated sandbox :D

alhoop, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  8. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    If it's the one thing I really get annoyed about Minstrel is the way you generalise and make sweeping statments decrying ALL editors like this. In my own categories, and I cannot and would not ever speak for any of my fellow volunteers in this ( note I said volunteers )...but in my own personal categories I check in EVERY day and , gosh, I know it's hard for an old cynic to take.... but I do actually list sites every day and I am very glad too as well..( do I hear you gasp ?). Oh and don't hit me with the old chestnut that 'I must be the exception to the rule'. I know I'm not... you on the other hand can only speculate right ?

Stop the 'stereotyping' of all and every single editor please like that, it's really boring and very predictable. Void indeed, I take pride in my categories and I work hard to list every single relevant site I can get my hands on. So once in your life give a humble volunteer some credit for taking the time to do so.

And darn it, I was sooo hoping to get the last word on this one with Minstrel. Oh well.. next time.:rolleyes:

shygirl, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Why do you feel the need to take everything so personally, Shygirl? My comment was aimed at the length of "the queue" in DMOZ categories in general, not at whatever your personal little category is, and the fact that many sites submitted are never listed and thus, from the point of view of the people who submit them, disappear into a void and are never heard from again. The comment was about your characterization of "free submission to DMOZ", which really is misleading. See my previous post (but read it this time).

minstrel, Jan 10, 2006 IP
    pagode likes this.
  10. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Categorizing the process as a "free submission process" still gives the impression it is a service and it isn't - you are as likely to get listed in DMOZ via a link submitted to Google or a trade association or an ad on the side of a bus. The only thing a "submission" does is put the URL in a list of sites supposedly relevant to the category and as editors are prone to repeat a keyword search on Google is just as likely if not more likely to be productive at finding relevant sites than the submission list. Hence a tendency to be selective in using submissions, even ignoring it completely in some cases, when editors are picking sites to review.

The problem is that the "submission process" does not actually say that, it mentions no guarantees, it hints/misleads at times for review that are patently wrong, and it suggests in too many minds that the submitter has availed themselves of a listing service (which they haven't). The result being that people get the wrong idea and start getting agitated when their sites doesn't appear. Editors try and explain that here and in other forums but they are badly let down by an administrative lack of priority to revising the submission/suggestion text that would eliminate the problem of false expectations for all apart from the most stupid. When I was an editor I, and others, would have been willing to make such things a priority in my own time given over to editing tasks. But there is already a list of priorities and if those don't interest an editor then there is little positive support given for others which leads to alienating some good editors who have said goodbye to the circus as a result.

brizzie, Jan 11, 2006 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  11. thesaddleryshop

thesaddleryshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Lisa, I sympathise!! I became an editor of a very tiny catagory to do with my industry, it meant I finally got reviewed and it also keeps me up to date with other peoples sites as you add them! It's good fun too! :)

thesaddleryshop, Jan 11, 2006 IP
    brizzie likes this.
  12. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Personally my ass ! On the contrary, I was simply trying to point out that most editors in Dmoz do their editing just for the sake of it. I feel that deserves a bit of respect at the very least, even if you do not agree with the organisation and it's methodology. Y'know, doing something for no monetary compensation and just for the challenge ? Obviously a lot here don't think so, but well, that's par for the course, as I well know, on a primarily webmaster based site.

As for my 'personal little category', why Minstrel, I've moved on quite a bit in the last few months, and now look after more than 'quite a few' in lots of differing areas... :rolleyes: But I've only gotten there by working hard and...er.. listing an awful lot of sites. So the 'queue' comment, doesn't apply. There are none in any of my categories. And personally (I do apologise Minstrel) don't feel it's fair that you tar us all with the same brush. I guess I'm just a tad better placed than you, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong won't you ?, to state that there are a lot of editors just like me. Honestly, there are loads ordinary editors just quietly getting on with it..And I get pissed off when you suggest as you frequently do, otherwise. Crapping on about voids and queue's and corruption. Get a life mate !

Submission, Suggestion, whatever anyone wants to call it :rolleyes: If Dmoz goes 'profit making' then there will be a lot who will not be able to afford the fee, given that the 2nd most respected directory on the net charges $299 just to look at 1 site.

Ps Minstrel, do you suffer from a 'superiority complex' ?:confused:

shygirl, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  13. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I think I've figured out your "disability", shygirl :rolleyes:

minstrel, Jan 12, 2006 IP
  14. frenchmen77

frenchmen77 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeh, it takes a long time to get into dmoz, i'm still waiting =)

frenchmen77, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  15. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes Minstrel, I'm in love with you and I want the world to know it !!!... You're kinda cuddly in a big 'teddy bear' kind of way, familiar, but getting shabby round the edges.;)

But never the twain shall meet...sigh.

I'm so off topic now I'm ashamed of even myself. I'll leave it there... Till next time.

shygirl, Jan 13, 2006 IP
  16. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try this search now its gone up a tad...
    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,440 for allinurl:Computers/Software/Accounting/Billing

bloodwrath, Jan 21, 2006 IP