1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Giving 250+ Links Per Entry

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by digitalpoint, Mar 15, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Information on the Netscape acquisition is below.

http://vivisimo.com/search?v%3Asources=Web&query=AOL+acquires+Netscape&x=42&y=17

Look for AOL since they are competing with the Yahoo directory to upgrade DMOZ, who knows what might happen, but you can bet something will happen since they are investing money in search.

anthonycea, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  2. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    AOL/TW/Netscape will have a hard time making any changes to DMOZ without facing severe editor attrition IMO. I'm not sure where the economic impetus lies for them to change anything either.

Bernard, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    What do they have to lose Bernard? Yahoo is charging money and their directory is a profit center for them.

Why would you say that AOL has no incentive to change it :confused:

Bernard, did you miss the part about firing all the editors?

4. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, they have made it a huge profit center (without having to invest). This list shows the companies with the most DMOZ listings http://www.whois.sc/internet-statistics/dmoz-listings.html

BTW, AOL / Time Warner owns number 1, CNN

CanadianEh, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  5. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is AOL/TW/Netscape going to hire a huge bureaucracy to screen, qualify and oversee 10,000+ new employees to replace the active editors who are currently working for free? I don't see it.

Also, if DMOZ moved to a paid model, there may be serious legal issues involved in incorporating the current directory into a new commercial venture per the DMOZ legal status/incorporation/licensing.

Bernard, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    CE, sort of figures, money talks, AOL has done well since the directory was acquired.

I am going to start my own directory just for my sites and my friends one day soon. :p

PS: Bernard, I said automate the process, how does Yahoo do it?

7. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I may be wrong, but, if they hired 20 full-time employees, they could probably approve more submissions than DMOZ does today.

CanadianEh, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    AOL Acquires Netscape For $4.2 Billion
    Notice the date on that, Anthony? More than 6 years ago. The deal was fully finalized in March 1999, almost 6 years ago.

If AOL hasn't done anything with DMOZ in 6 years, why do you expect a change now? or any time soon? or in our lifetimes?

minstrel, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Minstrel, in that time AOL acquired Time Warner which was the largest failure in corporate merger history.

So bad that Time Warner booted out Steve Case the mastermind of it and Ted Turner lost Billions in the deal, they have since changed the name of the company from AOL/Time Warner back to Time Warner and may spin off AOL in a shareholder distribution deal.

AOL is now becoming more of a portal versus an ISP and is now investing in search and has acquired Advertising.com about 6 months ago to compete in the online advertising game.

So you will see some changes coming up within their portfolio, they just introduced Netscape $9.95 per month dial up service to go head to head with NetZero. So they are now promoting the Netscape brand name again.

There are major changes going on at AOL because of massive loss of customers and executives have been replaced at a good clip in the last few years also.

10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You may have a point...

minstrel, Jan 26, 2005 IP
  11. webworker

webworker Peon

Best Answers:
    I know about that. I've seen a site that has 8 DMOZ listings for the same domain (or maybe 7 + 1 subdomain). The rules are to submit your site once - but when the siteowner is also an editall or a meta editor - he puts them into practice. Maybe this was it.

webworker, Dec 26, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  12. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's not true... digitalpoint.com had 3 listings (to different URLs within it) before I even heard of DMOZ (so an editor added them themselves).

It all depends on the merit of the linking page. If a site has lots of useful stuff (that could warrant the link being on it's own domain), it will end up getting deeplinks from DMOZ.

digitalpoint.com has 13 links from DMOZ as of right now... none of which were added by me or via any "inside connections".

http://search.dmoz.org/cgi-bin/search?search=digitalpoint

digitalpoint, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  13. webworker

webworker Peon

Best Answers:
    Got your point. Maybe I was wrong.

webworker, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  14. Lisa White

Lisa White Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn

Can you please give me an advise how can i get my site on DMOZ, i submited my site about Two Month ago, but no result.

Lisa White, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Lisa, seriously, the best advice amyone can give you is to submit and forget about it. Your site may be listed any time in the next few months, or not for another two or three years, or maybe never. Just move on and submit to other directories.

minstrel, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  16. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Exactly what minstrel said. I submit and forget... and I assume I *won't* get listed. That way I don't have to think about it... and then maybe down the road (even if it's a year or two), it will all of a sudden show up.

digitalpoint, Dec 26, 2005 IP
  17. Lisa White

Lisa White Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok I got It

Lisa White, Dec 27, 2005 IP
  18. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, old thread, but a good'un. Back to the original point of the thread, the "real value of dmoz listings" - At the time posted, I agree that it was in the number of sites that use dmoz to populate their own directories.

However, with speculation flying about TrustRank and the devaluation of purchased links, I think it's pretty close to certain that a link from dmoz mean a lot more than most other links :D

If TrustRank or something similar is in place, I think that dmoz would be one of, if not the most important source of "trust" on the Internet.

Google's duplicate content filter has also gotten better, which knocks out some of the benefit of the additional links. However, I'd imagine lots of the links from dmoz clones still contribute, at least to some extent. I've seen dmoz clones that have are indexed and have PR on really deep pages.

Sorry if someone already said something similar in the thread, didn't take time to go through everything :p

Sharpseo, Jan 6, 2006 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  19. minstrel

Best Answers:
    But of course that doesn't mean they are contributing anything to the PR of other pages they list - only that they have other pages linking to them.

I think Google has been devaluing the clones and is continuing to do that with each tweak or update. It will be interesting to see how BigDaddy plays out.

minstrel, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  20. Coupons

Coupons Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site was listed for years, and it was them that inserted them, before I knew what Dmoz was. Then last year it was delisted, for no reason. The site is the same for 5 years now. I submitted again, and after many months, it still isn't there. So, submit and forget... and after some months, submit again :)

Coupons, Jan 6, 2006 IP