1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Giving 250+ Links Per Entry

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by digitalpoint, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your site represents a brick and mortar business, publish your address on the site and you can submit it to a regional category in the ODP with a much greater chance of a quick review (and hopefully a listing).

Bernard, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  2. arestia

arestia Peon

Best Answers:
    i bet some of the sites with duplicate links in many related categories submited so many times over the 6mon+ it takes to get in that they forgot what cat they oriiginaly submited to.

so after a while all of the submitals would be added.

maybe they should cancel all the other submitals with the domain name if one is accepted.

arestia, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  3. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    A reminder that we tear apart and eat alive anyone who questions ODP policies. :rolleyes:

macdesign, Sep 9, 2004 IP
  4. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    They couldn't do that either because you are allowed a regional listing as well as a main listing.

DMOZ is 1 big frustration. They should offer incentives to editors to keep editing sites.

Weirfire, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  5. arestia

arestia Peon

Best Answers:
    oh i didnt know that. good info.

arestia, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  6. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    I've just submitted to be an editor of my own town so we'll see how that goes. :)

7. rhinoplayer

rhinoplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted to be an editor a while back..... does that take 6 months too (or maybe a year)???!!!

rhinoplayer, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  8. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Submitting to be an editor should take about 14 days. You should have received an email by now. Check at Resource Zone to check your status. That's both editor status and website submission status.

9. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    The trouble is - wouldn;t it be easy to folter out DMOZ clones when indexing links? After all, they have to issue the DMOZ box at the bottom of each page, as per the terms of use (or so I believe).

Therefore just because a site may have multiple lniks due to DMOZ data being reused, I'm not entirely surely any direct judgement on ranking value can be made.

Btw - as a quick point - DMOZ isn't a website directory - it's an information directory. If you produce reference sites then you can get multiple deeplinks - one of mine already has 40 deeplinks, and I'm negotiating 80+ deeplinks on another site. Reference sites, though, and none commercial.

I. Brian, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  10. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point. The general rule is one category per site + possibly a second Regional category.

However, exceptions have been made on certain information resources, where just about all pages of the site can be listed. These however, require a lot of editor agreement to be allowed and are rare.

Addtionally as noted, some sites that provide good resources may be allowed multiple categories, but generally not for commercial sites. This does apply a lot for government sites, for example, where each branch of government might be listed in a separate category, For example, embassies.

macdesign, Sep 10, 2004 IP
  11. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Which is the main reason for the directory being free and the reason why they have to use voluntary editors to maintain the directory. If it was a paid directory then informational sites just wouldn't be able to enter.

Weirfire, Sep 11, 2004 IP
  12. PRBot.Com

PRBot.Com Guest

Best Answers:
    This explains why one of my sites just exploded in PR after it was listed on DMOZ :D

PRBot.Com, Sep 13, 2004 IP
  13. sixcorp

sixcorp Guest

Best Answers:
    This is good to know but also frustrates me. I've had 2 sites submitted to DMOZ.

http://www.tailoredresume.com
    http://www.resumexposure.com

One for over a year (ResumeXposure.com) - it hasn't been accepted or rejected. The category does have a reviewer but there is no action. I submitted a status request and was told it hadn't been reviewed and to check back in 6 months :)

Insane. Hopefully the big search engines (which my sites are highly ranked on) will get the picture and de-emphasize DMOZ and sites that use that directory as incoming links. It was a great idea but obviously something is really wrong over there with their business plan.

sixcorp, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  14. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    if you really want to get into dmoz, you can always apply to be an editor and then disclose which sites you run, and then add them (if they wouldn't get in normally this won't help you- it'll be booted right out along with possibly your editing privs- but if it's just a "wait" issue can sort of.. have a bit of an advantage)

oh, and just to show that it really depends on the cat:

I submitted my new site a few days ago. I checked the logs/stats for the site: one of the referrers was from a dmoz editor panel. so I went and checked, sure enough, it was already added. less than a 2 day wait.

disgust, Sep 14, 2004 IP
  15. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bernard, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  16. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds really bad doesn't it. But let's look at this a little more deeply and see what really is happening.

A general guideline at ODP is that a company only gets one web site listed. You may choose to spread your content over several web sites [I myself do], but that does not entitle you to additional listings. Submissions of multiple web sites for the same business entity is considered spam - and can cause you to lose all your listings.

So if we take a look at http://webforce6.com/ - we can see clearly it says " webForce 6 LLC owns and powers ResumeXposure.com."

Since http://webforce6.com/ is listed in ODP, the other sites will not be.

macdesign, Nov 1, 2004 IP
  17. sixcorp

sixcorp Guest

Best Answers:
    First - Tailoredresume.com LLC is it's own business entity and is not at all tied to ResumeXposure.com which is owned by webForce 6 LLC. These businesses file separate tax returns and have separate ownership structures. Since I am the "techie" partner for both sites (businesses) I have submitted them both to DMOZ. There is nothing "underhanded" going on except that I can't seem to get a HUMAN EDITED board to get the listing correct. In theory DMOZ is a great concept but the "crawling" boards have listed our sites perfectly. We're able to help a lot more people due to those boards than due to DMOZ (so far).

Second - I NEVER submitted webforce6.com to be listed - NEVER EVER! In fact we've want to deactivate that URL except for email because 100% of our customers arrive via www.resumexposure.com for the webforce 6 business. Someone at DMOZ decided to list a "placeholder" domain name of a business (webforce 6 LLC) that owns another eCommerce career site (www.resumexposure.com). The webforce6.com domain gets zero traffic (except we might get some now that DMOZ has improperly listed it). The funny thing about all this is that this is a HUMAN edited board and I can't seem to get the proper listings?? Strange. I've submitted 3 requests to have the listing changed for webforce6 to www.resumexposure.com so that I can deactivate the webforce6.com URL. If you look at this URL: http://www.dmoz.org/Business/Employment/Resumes_and_Portfolios/Distribution/

You will note that PC Pros Inc. owns www.resumeblaster.com - this is the same relationship that webForce 6 LLC has with www.resumexposure.com. I am unclear why we can't get our URL listed correctly. You obviously did it correctly for them.

I REALLY want to get this resolved. We have been waiting patiently to get listed. I do not like responses from editors like the one above making it sound like we are trying to do something that is not legit with our businesses. That is not the case. We (www.resumexposure.com) practically founded the Resume Distribution category in 1999 and yet we are still not listed on your directory.

What I would appreciate (greatly) is if we could get the "webforce 6" listing to point at the www.resumexposure.com domain name as that is the actual business URL for the business. If you wish, I will deactivate the webforce6.com URL once the listing is corrected. As I stated before, that URL gets zero traffic - we have not promoted it anywhere and yet a DMOZ editor pulled it from the email address I listed (csix@webforce6.com) as my contact email and decided to post it as the business URL. This is a simple fix. We have been with the BBB Online for several years and have NO outstanding complaints against our company. We do it business the right way and would appreciate getting listed correctly on DMOZ.

Sincerely,

Clint Six
    Partner
    webForce 6 LLC
    www.resumexposure.com

sixcorp, Jan 4, 2005 IP
  18. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    CanadianEh, Jan 25, 2005 IP
  19. macdesign

macdesign Peon