1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ gave me da boot!!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by bloodwrath, May 8, 2005.

1. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    good to know
    this looks like a similar place to where i was in the DMOZ
    http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Issues/Privacy/Spyware_and_Adware/
    but no pr and not in the google cache
    the cat before it is a PR 8
    http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Issues/Privacy/

wouldnt think this would be that NEW of a catagory

bloodwrath, May 9, 2005 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It could be new, Yahoo! has started adding a few more lately. I would look at it long term and say it should benefit you. You can always try to submit to a higher category, they may consider your site worthy of being there, never know. Either way, they will email you if not and you can still get into the one you have pointed out regardless. After all, they do care what webmasters think and say, they want our business.

Blogmaster, May 9, 2005 IP
  3. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It can be that it has got nothing to do with your site and an editor just thinks that your site is a competition for his/her site.

Search for your competition sites in DMOZ editors profiles, if you find an editor that has a competition site in his/her profile, that's most likely the reason.

gworld, May 9, 2005 IP
  4. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    gworld that could be true
    now i work in a call center so i know most business have managers, charge hands.

So does the DMOZ have senior editors or manages i can escalate my concerns to about my site and its removal from the DMOZ ?

5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Minstrel,

should we have fun and recommend that he should contact hutcheson? :D

No, I am not that cruel.

Bloodwrath, the situation with DMOZ is different since most of the editors that have any power, are taking part in the same practices and benefit in one way or another from the situation.

If you check different forums, you will see the same names (editors) that are always defending DMOZ all over the internet and they are not doing it for their health. the "volunteer" work can be very profitable for the editors.

The only way to deal with the situation is to generate enough publicity about DMOZ that makes it uncomfortable for Google to keep it and when Google drops it then the problem will be solved.

gworld, May 9, 2005 IP
  6. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    A pr4 link is a pr4 link (just because it's dmoz, doesn't make it any better) and they are a dime a dozen. Forget about dmoz, having your site listed there really isn't that big of a deal and it certainly won't make or break your site. :)

I got a bunch of PR 4 links by submiting my sites to these free directories. So much less of a hassle since most of these directories approve your link with in 24 - 48 hours.

ViciousSummer, May 9, 2005 IP
    bloodwrath likes this.
  7. yarman

yarman Peon

Best Answers:
    let me repost my thoughts from the other forum thread (im sorry if i criticized editor JIMNOBLE, its all light hearted boys, dont be upset!):
    yarman
    haha...some of ya guys need to chillax its ok to laugh sometimes i wasn't being THAT serious. i think minstrel saw the real point: dmoz takes WAY TOO LONG at...rejecting websites that apply. and its all for show. read those damn forums, the webmasters are sitting there with their balls chopped off sucking up to the editors for some sign of life and progress on their site submission, and all the editors just play them on like ugly girls at a high school dance. its the saddest thing ive ever read. and if you happen to get at all critical or ask too many questions, they ban you from the forum, and delete your website, but only after making you wait at least 6 months to hear about it. you call that professional??? YOU GOTTA BE JOKING.

a human edited directory. yes its a wonderful idea. but how can anyone, even nice editors who are in their own bubble of kindness, defend the total BS that dmoz has become? google must have some secret nasty reason for keeping this partnership up, because at least half of the descriptions they write are HORRIBLE and there is no real reason i can see for continuing to use a 3rd party directory after years of google being around except...laziness, and an easy way to say "hey, we aren't biased in our search results, we support the non-profit directory...so BAH"...

i would be fine with dmoz in any case if their work didnt OVERRIDE my own meta tags and website design work!!! understand?? its terribly frustrating. i hope editors can one day understand what some of us here are trying to relay....since they won't read my emails or any of my contact attempts.

yarman, May 9, 2005 IP
  8. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did you make that up or did you get it some where?

I want to give proper attribution when I quote you. That is a GREAT line.

Sorry for going off topic but I suspect this thread has run its course anyway.

ziandra, May 9, 2005 IP
  9. bloodwrath

bloodwrath Active Member

Best Answers:
    ViciousSummer thanks for the great links
    ive allready started add my site to them

10. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure - you'll get only unique content from me.

jimnoble, May 9, 2005 IP