1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Frustrations !

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by usearchme, Jan 22, 2008.

Hi guys

I usually read the dmoz bickering and really try not to get involved, I originally applied to get my sites into dmoz a long time ago and was probably at the time rightfully not added.

I came across it again and thought I would give it another crack, wiser and experienced. As one of my sites is doing really well and of good quality, I applied and obviously wasn’t accepted, I was left thinking like most webmasters, what do you have to do to get into this place.

So I decided to go thru the section I applied to which is the chat room section to see the quality of site im up against.

I have done a lot of safety awareness on my site promoting safe chat rooms and how to use chat rooms safely.

To my horror I realized there are lots of unsafe chat sites on there, no safety information, no moderation and this was for teens chat rooms too. The quality of the sites was awful, not even close to mine. Am I annoyed of course I am.

I have done a lot of safety awareness on my site promoting safe chat rooms and how to use chat rooms safely. Its like a kick in the teeth that I cant get in there, yet other sites can who simply don’t even care about their content, or about the safety of people can.

I passed on my concerns to dmoz, which were promptly ignored of course, and that is the problem with dmoz isn’t it, no one is ultimately accountable.

Everyone’s got an excuse your either on one side of the fence or the other.

I am a responsible webmaster trying to do the right thing it’s a shame this isnt part of Dmoz ethics.

As my last post on my blog says

DMOZ – SHAME ON YOU !

Woc

usearchme, Jan 22, 2008 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. ericfromandys

ericfromandys Peon

Best Answers:
    The question to me is, if Dmoz is a human-edited directory, then can't you and I and others consider this a call to action and put in motion an effort to replace or reform the existing Dmoz hierarchy? I'm very curious now as to who exactly is in charge of Dmoz ultimately, and how that person got to be in that position. I'll read thru some of the posting history to see if it's laid out.

ericfromandys, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  3. winifred gray

winifred gray Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't feel too bad, dmoz is known for listing crappy sites, plus they have only listed 4,830,584 sites in the whole directory, that's nothing compared to what's available - so there are millions of really good sites that aren't listed.

The good news is that is doesn't matter any more...

winifred gray, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  4. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:

You forgot the main point - there are even more millions of sites which are bad that aren't listed. If you're not listed, the majority of the time, that will be the reason;)

Spider-Man, Jan 22, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    His name is Orlando De Paprio with help from Adminiskus Staffus Metarulaitis, Edi T. All and Edi T. Ors.
    I forgot about Catherine Modell :D
    A quarter of that exclusively from Super Annie. :D
    Wait till the Super Mom comes back. :p

popotalk, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  6. usearchme

usearchme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi guys thanks

I got a red rep thingy with a message !

"have you submitted an update request to get them looked at before you add to the fame-seekers by posting? No you haven't."

YES I DID !

I even tryed to contact the editor by using the form that was available, the reason i posted it on here wasnt for fame, it was to get it noticed, i have no other way of people hearing my voice so i decided to air my frustrations on my blog and on here, hopefully somone will take notice and take some action, i would rather i didnt have to post here at all, and to have to deal with comments like that.

I would also be happy to submit the information again, and remove my posts if it gets it sorted, if somone can point me in the direction of where it might be read by somone.

This isnt an issue i have simply made up to critisize dmoz this is a very serious issue, if you had done what you think was right and tryed to contact dmoz, with this kind of information, wouldnt you be a bit annoyed ?

Woc

usearchme, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  7. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    The directory is owned by AOL, who have as much control over the directory as they like. They have a group of salaried administrative staff who deal with the technical aspects of the directory. Bob Keating is the Editor-in-Chief, ultimately in charge of all editing decisions. Their blog is at http://blog.dmoz.org/

Other than that blog, they do not have a lot of presence on forums and the like. Nearly all of what you see posted in other places are unofficial statements expressing personal opinions from the volunteer editing force.

Alucard, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  8. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, you say this, but I see not one single update request in the category. Nor do I see any record in the logs of such update requests getting rejected or processed.

So I'm curious as to what exact procedure you underwent to bring this to the attention of someone.

You can not assume that the listed editor is active right now - they might not have done an edit in months and might not be intending to do another one.

There are two ways to bring such issues to the attention of a much wider audience - the editors in categories "above" in the tree, and the editalls. At the top of every category there is a button that says "Update Listing". If you click on this you can enter the URL of the offending listing and describe why you feel that site is no longer applicable to that category. That will flag the category as having updates pending, and most editors deal with update requests quite quickly. It is also a lot more visible to editors who do not watch that specific category. It also takes a much time to do as a blog post and postings to a forum...

The second way is there is a thread on the unofficial ODP Forum "Resource Zone" (if you Goog it, it will come up as the first result). In the "Quality Control" section there is a sticked thread called "Report Hijacks, Dead Links, Inappropriate ODP Content, and other issues here ONLY". Several so-called editalls (people that can edit anywhere in the directory) keep an eye on that and can take action.

Those are the two most effective ways to get someone to take a look at a severely neglected category and to give it a big of a spring-clean.

I hope this helps.

Alucard, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  9. usearchme

usearchme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there

Hmmm strange, thanks for the advice alucard, the quality control section of the forum you recomended has a new post on there from me, was nice to get some advice from somone !

Lets hope there is a positive outcome.

Woc

usearchme, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  10. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    If by that you mean that the non-working sites get removed, I would say that there is a good chance. I can't speak for the requirement for the safety issue - the ODP tends to back away from being the "Internet police", as can be seen on many threads on this and other fora. The chances of this getting your site listed in a quicker timeframe are slight.

Just want to set some expectations, based on my experieces... :)

Alucard, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  11. usearchme

usearchme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there

I have had a reply to my post on the other forum anyhow, i will keep my eye on the category if some change occurs i will maybe remove some of my stronger comments i made earlier.

Woc

12. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Woc, it would have been nice if you had asked about the best way to get things changed, rather than coming in with guns blazing and a blog post, together with digg entry to go with it. :)

Alucard, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  13. usearchme

usearchme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi

Yup maybe, i had seeked help for a while and had got no where i even posted on a an editors own personal blog to ask for help, it was just by chance i came into this section my frustration was at boiling point, i understand ur point when u say all guns blazing.

Somtimes the only way you can get somthing done is to put pressure on people to change, and that was my aim and nothing has happened yet so this could all be hot air.

I fully expect nothing to change if im honest, and the on going phrase i am greeted with is we aint the "internet police", so im still not getting the flags out yet lol !

Woc

14. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe your guns blazing attitude turned people off, so LESS will get done. Sometimes there are other ways that are more effective... just sayin'

And I warned you about the internet police thing. :)

Alucard, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  15. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know a fellow that works on the assembly line at General Motors. Last week I told him TWICE that I didn't like the steering design of the new Vette. Noticed yesterday it hasn't changed yet. Must tell you I'm livid at the lack of response. :)

robjones, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  16. usearchme

usearchme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there

Not constructive robjones !

If that steering system ur talking about caused one of ur family or somone you know to get hurt or caused an accident, im sure u would be pretty livid if you had indeed noticed a problem yourself.

Point taken alucard, but i tryed all the nice ways, and this way in essence has worked because you have helped me more than anyone did, when i was being nice lol !

Woc

usearchme, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry about your bad experience. If I had seen you being nice maybe I could have given you a green rep and made sure things happened.

And no, with respect, you didn't try all the nice ways - I suggested two to you, which are recommended and advised every time someone asks this type of thing.

Alucard, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  18. shadow575

shadow575 Peon

Best Answers:
    As usual alucard says it better than I could. :) Glad I decided not to respond earlier. :D

shadow575, Jan 24, 2008 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  19. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You missed the point: I'd report it properly, not tell a guy that works on the assembly line about an issue then get mad that a misplaced report had no effect.

Alucard gave you the proper channels to follow, instead you think ranting to whomever might be present is more fun. Hope you enjoyed it. We're just here to help people find the answers, and even if we wished couldnt personally rewrite the rules for everyone that doesn't like the way it is set up. Speaking of unproductive, you got your answer and ignored it.

robjones, Jan 24, 2008 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Now do you say this from some type of experience, or are you just trying to increase your post count with lack of content/no value replies? I mean, can't you see there is a topic here, and thats how to get the steering fixed on Rob's car!

Qryztufre, Jan 24, 2008 IP