1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Editorship

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by seoindia, Jun 16, 2005.

I have applied 2 times for dmoz editorship in same category and it was rejected both time giving one excuse or other. First time it was that the sites i have submitted is not relevant and other time it was spelling mistake.....looks like they are take NASA scholarship test.

seoindia, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  2. Dirkjan

Dirkjan The Dutch SEO Guy

Best Answers:
    Well for the spelling: I can see the reason ;)

Your post above is maybe fine for a forum, but not for the DMOZ. And YES: it might be more difficult to get a job at DMOZ than to get a job at NASA. Welcome to the club.

Dirkjan, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  3. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    you need the Presidents signature on your applications, or you wont get in.

Canadianbacon, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you will need to prove that you are as corrupt as most of the editors and ready to play ball.

gworld, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  5. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not familiar with the NASA scholarship test, I'm afraid, so I can't compare.

The "excuses" you talk about are, to me, legitimate. The purpose of the application is to prove that you know how to edit, and the first criteria are whether you know what sites would fit into that category and whether you can write titles and descriptions in english without spelling mistakes, and following the ODP style guide.

Yes, there is a bar that you have to jump over - and that bar is to show the meta-editors that you are capable of and interested in performing the functions of editing. If that is not something that you feel you can do, well, being an editor is not going to be something you enjoy - and then why do it? Because in essence, the data you put in the application form is really to a large degree what editing is all about.

(Oh, and I agree with gworld - I feel that proving that you are exactly as corrupt as most editors would be a definite advantage, yes. Because in my experience with dealing with other editors and reviewing their edits most editors are definitely not corrupt in the least. :p )

Alucard, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    When I applied (a long time ago) I was rejected with a note to try again in a smaller category.

The category I applied for has 46 entries in it and is nine levels deep in their hierarchy.

That category already has my relevant site listed, but it is missing dozens of sites of equal or greater relevance.

I really do not believe that the people who review editor applications are (a) conscientious, (b) sane, and (c) competent.

My advice: Give up. DMOZ isn't worth saving.

Will.Spencer, Jun 16, 2005 IP
  7. DirectoryForce

DirectoryForce Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to be a dmoz editor couple years ago. But my account went inactive and didn't bother to sign up again.

DirectoryForce, Jun 16, 2005 IP