1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz Editorship for Sale Ebay ! A stunt ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by sleuth1, Oct 18, 2005.

sleuth1, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  2. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Roman, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  3. dilipsam

dilipsam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ridiculous!!! I was just wondering the fate of the DMOZ today and now this thing crops up. I guess DMOZ editors should be paid. This way all entires can get included or reviewed for inclusion or exclusion.

Dilip Samuel

dilipsam, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  4. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nobody can caught him....read the post on ebay...Only way to caught him is that a dmoz editor himself buys the category. Looks like a dmoz editor worths more than a scientist at NASA.

Lol and google still uses dmoz. This is the beginning of open fraud by dmoz editors. No need to wonder why one sites donnt gets added in dmoz. Now Search Marketing firms must charge their clients the cost of bribing dmoz editor. It could be like
    -----------------------------------
    Search Engine Optimization cost : $1000
    Designing Cost : $500
    Dmoz Bribing Cost : $2500
    -----------------------------------

1. What is this Ebay auction for?

SEOBlackHat.com is selling the Editorship for a Google-Page-Rank 5 Category page in DMOZ.org - The Open Directory.

2. What is The DMOZ?

DMOZ.org - The Open Directory Project is the largest, most comprehensive human-edited directory of the Web. It is constructed and maintained by a vast, global community of volunteer editors.

3. What do Search Engines like Google have to do with the DMOZ?

Google is not directly associated with the DMOZ. But the 3 major Search engines (MSN, Google, and Yahoo) all use the DMOZ to help Determine what search results they should return towards the top. If a site is in the Open Directory, it is considered more important than if it is not.

4. How Exactly Does Google use the Information in the DMOZ?.

Sites that are listed in the DMOZ are more likely to appear at the top of Google Search Results. In addition, Google often takes the description from the DMOZ instead of the Meta tag "description" for the write-up that appears with the search results.

5. Why don’t I just sign up or volunteer to be an editor?

Be my guest. According to their site:

"Signing up is easy: choose a topic you know something about and join. Editing categories is a snap. We have a comprehensive set of tools for adding, deleting, and updating links in seconds. For just a few minutes of your time you can help make the Web a better place, and be recognized as an expert on your chosen topic."

But that's all bullshit.

Even if you hold a doctoral degree in a topic and apply 10 times, odds are they will never even look at your application, much less approve it.

Why? Because the DMOZ is corrupt. They know they have power and they don’t want to relinquish it to people like you.

6. What do you mean “The DMOZ is corrupt?”

Editors change the URLs of the links to domains freequently to make sure they don't rank well. One week it will be www.domain.com the next will be domain.com the next will have a "/" after it, sometimes they will even direct it to www.domain.com/index.html. Because both the age of a link and the exact link location are important to Google, changing this information will hurt the ranking of the listing.

7. What else can you do as an editor?

Most importantly, you decide which sites get in to the directory. When you are an editor of a category in the DMOZ you can edit the titles and descriptions to be as favorable or unfavorable as you like. You can give any listings in the category bland descriptions with no keywords or spruce it up for your listings or your friends listings. Right now, if you visit some of the categories, you can play the "spot the good listing game." It’s easy to tell who’s an editor or friends with an editor.

8. What category is this editorship?

I'm sorry but you are bidding on a blind category with a Page Rank 5. If I mentioned which category it was for before receiving the money, the editorship might be revoked. Obviously it's not mortgages, adult, or gambling or I wouldn't be selling the editorship. However, it is a niche that has profitable keywords.

9. Can I make money as a DMOZ editor?

People understand that the DMOZ is corrupt and will often attempt to bribe you. When you are with a corporate client, you can easily charge $1,000 or more for a DMOZ listing. It is both that important and extremely difficult to get listed.

10. What’s the Best reason to buy this DMOZ editorship?

If you do SEO or Web Marketing for a living and can’t get your client into the DMOZ, you are a failure. If, however, you become an editor in the DMOZ, you will have access to the DMOZ message boards and will be able to network with all the other editors. When these editors are your friends, they’ll be happy put your clients sites in the directory. Don’t forget, it’s much easier to switch categories or take on additional categories once you are “on the inside.”

11. If a DMOZ editorship is so great, why are you selling it?

I own 3 category editorships with different logins. I’m only selling one of them.

seoindia, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  5. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    Personally I think this is great - hopefully it will bring attention to just how massively corrupt DMOZ is.

forkqueue, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  6. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Or a stunt by someone who is not an editor at all, in order to generate exactly this type of discussion. Does this person provide ANY proof that they are an editor? They don't exactly have much of a rep on EBay, do they?

Maybe there is a corrupt editor selling their account for profit. Teed off? I doubt it, just a black hat SEO looking to make some money.

Oh but wait, this is EBay, right? There are no frauds on EBay, so we should treat it as a trusted source.... carry on!

Alucard, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  7. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen some posts by BlackhatSeo at Seochat, i donnt remember whether he is regular with DP as well. I donnt think this is fake its a safe bet as nobody can catch him. But main question is why is he selling it? When he can play with money for long being a dmoz editor.

8. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Firstly, If I posted that auction I sure would register a new account so I dismiss your rep arguement.

As for proof, again, the person can't post proof.

So addressing your first point: stunt by someone who is not an editor at all
    That was my first impression as well, but can't be proved either way.

What I see this as is another straw piled on that camels back. The odd wacko here and there can be justified, but as more and more emerge they start to carry some weight.

Even if it is someone upset with DMOZ for not getting listed or whatever, I'm sure this auction will be seen by Google and taken note of.

Which brings me to your last comment: carry on.

People will carry on, that should be a concern.

Roman, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  9. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    So it can't be proven one way or the other, so you will assume, since it backs up your own beliefs, that it is true.

Forget any evidence which might not support those beliefs, or might actually contradict them.

It sounds very much like you have already made your mind up, nothing can change your mind, and you are just looking around for things that you can try to prove to the rest of the world that you are right.

You have a bunch of editors on this very forum who seem to be quite open and honest about how they behave - obviously those don't carry any weight - they must be lying, because they don't support your theory.

By saying that, thanks to some corrupt ODP editors being there, ALL editors (or even most, or even "the system") must be corrupt is, in my opinion, the most fallacious logic leap I have heard.

"I am and ODP editor and I am corrupt", posts someone on a blog - everyone links to the blog, saying that there is more evidence.

"I am an ODP editor and I am not corrupt":
    well, they must be lying, since all editors are corrupt
    OR
    well, they must be the exception, since most editors are corrupt.

Google, if they have ANY decent grasp of logic, will treat these "conclusions" with the weight they deserve.

Alucard, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  10. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No bidding yet....Whats going on?

11. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Read my post, my first impression was that it was fake and I never implied it was real.

Seems you are doing this to my post.

I beleive there are some corrupt editors, yes. Corruption is in every aspect of life and you you believe otherwise you are very niave

No you are just inventing things, where did I say that?

I never stated it as evidence, just more food for thought.

Roman, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  12. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know about you guys, but to me whether the guy is real editor or fake, he deserves a kick in a butt. I am posting the link to the auction on resource-zone. They are likely to be better at handling this

Liminal, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  13. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I donnt think it will be of any use posting in resource-zone, as they too will join him and ebay will be flooded with dmoz editorship bids. Also there is no way one can recognize who is he and of which category he is editor of..

14. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you didn't. You just added fuel to the fire, which others then stoked.

I absolutely 100% agree with you. I also think that the ODP should be as active as possible to stamp out such corruption as quickly as possible. I have seen evidence of them doing that in the internal fora. it is always going to reoccur, though, so everyone needs to remain vigilant.

The rest of my post wasn't aimed at you directly, and I apologise if it came across that way - this repetition of anything which makes the ODP look bad, followed by the usual chorus of "see? I told you so" gets old.

Alucard, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  15. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's just a stunt, if the guy was trying to make money off of it he probably wouldn't be slandering the ODP

mdvaldosta, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  16. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you heard of such concept as 'Customer Service'? Ebay.com Customer Service... see where I am going with this?

I am almost positive that the auction can be closed by them upon a single request from DMOZ

Liminal, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  17. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    Why not get someone from DMOZ to buy it(if it's real) and find out who he is?

Roman, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  18. Liminal

Liminal Peon

Best Answers:
    While that would be funny, it would encourage more scam like this

Liminal, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  19. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamer™

Best Answers:
    If it matters, today is $.10 day at eBay.

Roman, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  20. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But still if ebay remove that bid, there is no way one can recognize who is he and of which category he is editor of..and that was what i am pointing of.

Only way is that a dmoz editor buys it but when he buys it what will blackhatseo has to worry about he would have already given his editorship to someone and by this time he would have added all his sites and ofcourse bribe ones and his both pockets will be full of money to spend rest of his life in an beautiful island.