1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ Editor - Please Advise

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by CameronHamilton, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Like all webmaster I would like a DMOZ listing. I was wondering if you could tell me if my websites qualify and if I submitted to the appropriate category.

Websites: http://www.gift-for-men.com/, http://www.gift-for-kids.com/, and http://www.gift-for-women.com/

The category I suggested to is: http://www.dmoz.org/Shopping/Gifts/Personalized/Varied_Merchandise/ ( All the listings)

I can see that I might of submitted to the wrong categoey.

Can any editors visit my websites and tell me if anything I do might prevent me from being listed. I have NO AFFILIATE LINKS at all and never will on my website. I try to feature high quality articles filled with information

Also, can any editor tell me the correct category to submit my website too? Also I submitted my websites in November. Can you tell me when I should be able to do it?

CameronHamilton, Jan 5, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I seriously doubt you'll get an editor willing to review your sites for you - could you imagine how many requests for such would get posted if they did?

CReed, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  3. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagee. There's actually a couple editors on DMOZ who are quite helpful on this forum. If you think about it that's what a forum is for isn't it?

CameronHamilton, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will not comment on your websites (or anybody else's). You can determine for yourself whether or not they're listable here.

jimnoble, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would normally share Jim's view about individual comments on individual websites.

But as an example of doing the work for oneself, remember editors use their free time unpaid to work as editors, instead of relying on editors.

I could not find that there was anything for sale on those sites yet you offered them to a category with a description that is very clear

Actually it was a useful reference there was a typo in that description, but the message was still very clear.

This message is clear, pleasae do your homework and please don't expect us to do it for you. Submitting to a wrong category only delays the process of getting a review for a possible listing.

Anonymously, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  6. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    Reason with me.

Their are many problems with reviewing someones own content. For example when I look at my website I see no problem. I went down the list and see no problem.

HOWEVER AFTER AN ENTIRE SIX MONTHS YOU KIND OF THINK SOMETHING MIGHT BE WRONG WOULDNT YOU?

If it was my opinion I would take away all the rank from the ODP. They'res crooks running alot of the categories and even some categories are undermaintained containing a bunch of broken links.

By the way my question wasn't who won't won't review my websites. The question was who will. Which kind of undermines your ability to review anything anyways.

CameronHamilton, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  7. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for reading my post. If you noticed I specifically stated that I submitted to the wrong categoy. NOTICING MY MISTAKE I asked when would be a good time to submit to another category. Thanks for nothing. Jesus Christ you guys are ODP editors? All you do is skim over stuff and don't pay attention. Horrible job. I hope the ODP gets banned.

8. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    I didn't say I wouldn't review them, I said I wouldn't comment on them :D. Have you self checked them at the link I gave yet?

jimnoble, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  9. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been down that list MANY times and apologize for kind of "blowing up." In fact I based my website on that list. It said that "thin-affiliate sites" are not accepted. Which is why I decided not to feature a single affiliate link on my website.

Alot of the other issues are just like Webmaster guidelines.

What can I say I try to make good and useful content for my niche. I know it's not something people wouldn't want to read for entertainment. However if you're looking for it through a search engine it would definately be useful.

Other than that the ODP is definately frustrating because we can't see anything. I don't know when I should resubmit my website because I submitted it to the wrong category or anything. Which is why I wanted to ask for some help.

10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Any evidence you have of crooked behaviour of any editor will be investigated offer it in the 'report abuse' section. If you have no evidence and are just complaining because your website has not been listed, that is sad but common on here. If you also read the sticky at the top or many of the threads on here you would know that editors constantly say
    1. It can take from a few days to a few YEARS to get a review for possible listing
    2. Editors work in their spare time, giving their time voluntarily for no financial reward, we are entirely dependent on how much time editors volunteer and where they volunteer to work. If you have not volunteered to join us or used any facilities like reporting abuse or dead sites, why are you complaining at the time it takes fora review for a possible listing.
    3. If you have suggested to a wrong category it will be moved if an editor thinks the site listable to the correct category, it just takes longer.
    4. Do NOT therefore re-submit. If you have done it once you have done all you can at DMOZ to get your site listed. Promote your site in other ways and one day, if it has unique content and is listable under our guidelines you may just come back to DMOZ and find it listed.
    5. Remember we do not exist to ensure that sites get listed we exist to build categories for anyone wanting to use categorised data to search the net. We have no interest in any value that a listing might give to your site or any other.

Anonymously, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  11. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you realize that you're not helpful at all? The subject of my thread was review my website. It's not tell me what I'm doing wrong. Unless you're reviewing my website I really don't see you having any other reason to post on this thread. Thanks anyways!

12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The other Editors are way nicer than me :)

This is why we dont comment on specific sites !! Because it always ends up with the site owner or webmaster wanting to debate, they generally toss a few insults and call us crooked, then they get remiss and apologise.

Congratulations.......you did everything according to the "normal webmaster attitude".

You can be sure of one thing ........ I certainly wont volunteer my time to review your suggestion :)

snooks, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  13. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    You misunderstood. This is the thread for people are are willing to review my website. Not the people who are not.

What I don't understand is why Google praises the idea of quality contol and doesn't own a directory of it's own. I mean it practically expanded into everything else like an article directory, image hosting, etc. No directory? Unbelievable.

14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its easy to understand :) Google just dont want to cop stupid comments like

We arent crooks and considering we have approximately 5,000,000 published sites, yes, there will be quite a few needing attention and when a volunteer Editor chooses to spend his free, personal time, doing his hobby, then some will be rectified. But he (or she) does it for personal satisfaction, not to keep webmasters like you happy.

snooks, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  15. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm glad you're great at drawing conclusions.

You would volunteer your time to edit the ODP but you wouldn't volunteer your time to help someone on forums?

And I know why you won't helping me with my problem might require a few extra clicks. It's not just the simply reply and get a free backlink to your website type of question. Don't say that it was because I was being rude. Follow my reasoning on this one...

What you're suggesting with this entire contention is that you 1. Had no intention of reviewing my website because it would end up in a debate and 2. You came on the post to tell me that you won't review me website.

You came in after the fact and saw that I had what you would call a "typical webmaster attitude" towards DMOZ editors. Can you blame us?

Did you take a look at my website? I only write 1000+ articles, feature no affiliate links, images, etc. The amount of work that goes into each article is amazing. You know why I do it? To help improve search. I genuinely think that my articles will help anybody who is looking for those keywords on a search engine.

After all that hard work you would think that I would get some reward but nope. So thanks for nothing.

CameronHamilton, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just for clarification...

Submitting your site to the wrong category will get your site REJECTED or REMOVED, not moved.

If they are going to point to you the guidelines, the least they could do is follow them *boggle*

See step three on this page: dmoz.org/add.html

Sites submitted to inappropriate or unrelated categories may be rejected or removed.

And in all honesty, if you want help from an ODP editor, there is a slim chance you will find it here... as you can clearly see by the ones posting in this thread :D

Qryztufre, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  17. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    First of Q's posts I've read in ages. As usual, it conflicts with actuality and is intended to confuse. I don't believe that Q himself is confused though.

@Q: There's a world of difference between may and will. I'd previously thought that your English was fluent but perhaps not.

Just for clarification, an otherwise listable website suggested to the wrong category should be moved to the correct one, not declined. Editors found to be acting otherwise are umm educated.

jimnoble, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  18. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    Are my websites listable?

CameronHamilton, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    MAY? That certainly includes it as a possibility, and if there is something wrong with removing it, then, erm, why don't the rules say that? Can you point to any instance in the guidelines that say otherwise? If not, then MAY certainly means it's more then a possibility, it's a reality!

That page also says the ODP is a SERVICE, wanna shread that one apart? LOL

Please let us know what you think, and how we can improve the service.

Seriously, at least I am saying there is a possibility of the removal, and not twisting things into making it look like that MAY not happen at all, when it most certainly can!

Qryztufre, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You couldn't write this script, if you tried.

The op can see tha there are three and perhaps one other who regularly post on here. All have now said the same thing, but continues to say this is for someone who will review his site. Then ask Jim if the site is listable, when Jim has already said he will not comment, as we all have done.

AND inbetween tells us how corrupt editors and DMOZ is. LOL.

Anonymously, Jan 7, 2011 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.