1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz editor bullying and discrimination

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by shygirl, Dec 17, 2005.

1. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The advice is for the Dmoz editors.

DirtyDog, Dec 18, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  2. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow this minstrel guy sounds like a beanie meanie! I better watch out for him.

Or perhaps you are just a tad too sensitive. Yeah I am guessing that is it.

You must have spent your 6 years online in a cacoon to characterize anything Minstrel could have possibly said or done as being harsh. On the scale to 100 Minstrel would have a hard time registering double digits. Sure he can have a sharp tongue and be sarcastic at times, but that is how some people are.

You need to toughen up, or else go elsewhere where everyone holds hands and sings kumbuya. We are all adults here, mostly, and realize that discourse can at times become heated. That doesn't mean we curl up into the fetal position or break down and cry. We say our peace and that is that.

aeiouy, Dec 18, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  3. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    Um I don't know the whole story, so I wont comment on that.

Members in forums can be creul, mean, nice or very nice. The first time I got shot down I was pissed. I didn't really understand how members can work.

It taught me a lesson. I toughened up. Does that mean I don't think certain members are out to lunch? No, some may be bullies. Just don't let it get to you.

Skinny

Skinny, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  4. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is this forum is fairly nice. I have been in many forums that are many magintude more ruthless than this one.

aeiouy, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Shygirl, a lot of things that you have been saying in here, I do not agree with which goes for almost every DMOZ editor in here.
    I do not like DMOZ editors playing victims while there is a place such as the resource zone in existance abusing unexpecting webmasters.
    If you take everything in here so personal, I suggest that you put yourself in the shoes of someone who has made a few mistakes when it comes to submitting a site to DMOZ, goes to the resource zone to ask a question, and then gets labelled as "one of them".

There is a big difference between someone submitting a site to the wrong category 3 times the same year and someone who intentionally mass-submits 100s of mirror sites/doorway sites trying to "sneak a few in there".

If you can't see the difference, then I don't think that you should even be in these conversations.

About Minstrel: you're right. The only difference between Minstrel and Hutcheson is that Hutcheson has been accepted as a DMOZ editor and Minnie had been denied. Had Minnie been able to get in, he would be the exact same way as Hutch, absolutely no doubt about it.

But why don't you guys start where you can make an impact which is within DMOZ.

Blogmaster, Dec 19, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer, compostannie and riz like this.
  6. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of your comments ! And note I did say 'may' be my last post here. To those that hoped it would be and have no interest in any further points I have to make, beyond insults. Please stop reading here.

I just want to clarify and respond to a few things thats all.

Yes, so I did something about my frustration.
    I decided to find out what the real deal was instead of spouting unfounded speculation and stereotyping editors and webmasters into boxes branded 'serp perp' or 'corrupt'.

I guess you're entitled to that opinion Compostannie. But I've been following and reading posts on DP for several months before I joined.

My point is NOT that all editors are treated badly here... Just that some are. No matter what opinion/advice/arguments they have to thow into the debate. Editors like Compostannie and Alucard (I know he's gone) due to the length of time with Dmoz and their status both there and on this forum don't make easy targets. Bullies and Cliques tend to go after easier meat.

At the end of the day we all as editors are bound by exactly the same rules and as such, tend to have to repeat the same things over and over.
    Some of us on giving those replies will get reactions like 'Piss of back to RZ' , told distainfully to stop giving 'canned replies' or called 'stupid/weird/*replace insult as required*' while others, stating almost exactly the same thing will get 'hmmm mabye you're right or, perhaps we should just agree to disagree there' with a nice smiley tacked on at the end.

Any questions I've personally asked here been completely ignored in favour of the former sentiments. In the last thread I participated in, I made my intention to withdraw from it clear (as I'd said my piece) and I knew the 'ringleader' was going all out to make me look bad so there was no point continuing. His reply was that I'd only left the thread because I was 'stupid and irrelevant'. When I came back to ask that pettiness be left out of things, I was again insulted. Futher down the thread and further up many posters had more or less made the same comments. I'm not the only one this happens to either, like I said I've been lurking here for a long time. I see Pagode also takes some stick from some here.

And for those that say I need to toughen up, don't make me laugh. If I was the kind of woss that sat back and took this sort of treatment I'd never of had the nonce to stick my neck out and say EXACTLY what I see, despite the almost sure flaming and barrage of insults I've had (and am sure to get over this). I don't really give a rat's arse. No-one likes a bully and you have several participating here. In a nutshell.

Minstrel, you picked the wrong gal to call 'stupid' mate. I hope in future you'll try and curb that sharp, sarcastic tongue of yours a bit just for the sake of 'one-up-manship'. Whoever it is you're talking to, Dmoz editor or not. Especially when it comes to newbies. It does nothing to further any community spirit at DP. Respect as Compostannie points out has to be mutual. Some here just never get the chance to earn it.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Ok guys, let the flaming begin !!! (Oops see it already has and I haven't even finished replying yet ;) ).

Last poster, I'm not getting into any arguments about website submissions. There are plenty other threads for that.

shygirl, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  7. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Up till there, ok with me

This is almost funny. Given the fact of your fantastic background of more than 10.000 inflational posts and also after I had a brief look at the ones over the last 2 days, I can't help to ask you who you think you are falling down from heaven with this litteraly self-righteous statement.

vulcano, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  8. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

All you have to do to beat them is ignore them. If they don't get the attention they are after, they will fade away. Use the ignore feature. You are asking to get flamed by continuing to acknowledge them.

DirtyDog, Dec 19, 2005 IP
    Alucard likes this.
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Not sure where you came from, but the fact that I haven't noticed you until now goes to show me how much you really have to say :cool:

10. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    I have put some people on this list. But discussions are getting a little weird. Seeing "This message is hidden because xxxxxx is on your ignore list." and other people replying to them without me knowing what was originaly said :rolleyes: (yes, I know I can click a link to view the hidden message).

pagode, Dec 19, 2005 IP
    Blogmaster likes this.
  11. vulcano

vulcano Active Member

Best Answers:
    Still arrogant to the maximum, who do you think actually cares about getting noticed by you?;)

vulcano, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Vulcano has already had more to say worth saying in 150+ posts than in all your 10000+ posts, Toots. I suggest you return to General Chat where people who like those silly polls of yours and your bootlicking "I agree with Shawn" posts hang out.

As for you, shygirl, I have intentionally stayed out of this thread in light of your statement that you have some sort of disability. I will make two suggestions, though:

1. check your sources - half the things you are attributing to me were not said by me and some I don't think were said by anyone

2. don't mistake my attempts to be sensitive to your disability (whatever it is) for unlimited tolerance for personal attacks

minstrel, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel

I think your actions are disfavor to all who have disability since it seems to me that you assume disable people are stupid.
    Being disabled doesn't mean people are stupid, in fact a lot of disable people are quite successful in different academic fields and enjoy distinguished careers.
    The only type of disability that can cause what is known as stupidity is mental disability which in that case such people should recognize their limited mental capacity and do not participate in forum discussions.

gworld, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I really doubt that you would be able to tell the difference.
    ummm was I talking to you to begin with? Stop butting in lol I don't care what you agree or disagree with until you show me something worth paying attention to which you have failed to do in over 150 posts.

15. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    It hasn't stopped you gworld. :rolleyes: If you had a brain cell you might actually be dangerous.

Besides mental disability shouldn't be a bar to participating in Internet forums - you would get a lot more sense from them than from trolls who believe they have all their faculties. ;)

brizzie, Dec 19, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you were not a moron, you would have noticed that I didn't say they should be bar to participate but if they participate then they should not ask for pity because of their alleged disability.

brizzie, do you only list your own sites or do you make money by listing other people sites? Be useful and instead of posting your usual BS, tell us how much DMOZ listing goes for now, who knows may be you can even find couple of customers here. ;)

gworld, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  17. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have a problem doing either - I'm not an editor.

The market isn't too good I hear - for the last 6 years they have had to give them away.

Why, are there government law enforcement agencies represented here who need a project manager? Too bad really, I'm tied up until next summer.

Funny that, I quoted you by cutting and pasting and that wasn't what you said. You said "such people should recognize their limited mental capacity and do not participate in forum discussions. " - maybe it is the bad grammar that threw me.

brizzie, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think we can ignore the rest, the above shows the level of your honesty which is non existent.

gworld, Dec 19, 2005 IP
    pagode likes this.
  19. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL - I think the DMOZ editors here could happily confirm that my statement is the case, at least those who know my editing username and read my goodbye post. If you only knew the irony of your attacks on me :D

Are you schizophrenic? I understand there are treatments available for that.

brizzie, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  20. Crazy_Zap

Crazy_Zap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now, Mr. Martin, that's not entirely true, is it? You've been handing out the red reps yourself whenever someone has an opposing viewpoint. I'd say that puts anything you just wrote, along with all of your future blatherings, straight into the toilet. Practice what you preach, SH*THEAD!
    Sorry, I can have a "sharp tongue" and "be sarcastic at times". But that is how I am. "That doesn't mean we curl up into the fetal position", does it? :D

Crazy_Zap, Dec 19, 2005 IP
    buffalo likes this.