1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ domain and subdomain ok?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fryman, Jul 31, 2004.

1. rob777

rob777 Peon

Best Answers:
    That sounds like a good strategy. You keep the overhead low until the idea is tested and found valuable. I never thought of it like, I like it!

But how do you deal with a situation like this...
    you have 500 pages indexed by google, and getting many visitors from google searches to these pages. But now you move the site to its own domain and the urls for these pages change. How do you deal with all the 404s on the old urls, and how do you keep the same amount of traffic to the new pages' urls?

Later,
    Rob

rob777, May 2, 2005 IP
  2. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm toying with the idea of having the new domain and the sub-domain link back and forth to each other. That way, I can build up the majority of the content on the new domain name, and still retain the content and back links from the sub-domain.

Or if it all blows up - just start from scratch knowing that I'm putting my effort into a proven idea.

Or if that blows up - just get a job at Hooters.

PS - Just checked my logs and found that DMOZ visited my site this weekend but declined to add it to the directory. Looks like I may not get the chance to test my theory. :(

jlerner, May 2, 2005 IP
  3. rob777

rob777 Peon

Best Answers:
    just because your logs show dmoz visited does not mean anything so don't worry yet. Sometimes an editor may take a quick peak at it and decide it belongs in a different category, so they may send it over there. Or maybe the editor was in the middle of editing your site and had to quit for some reason, in this case the editor may go back later and finish reviewing your site. Or an editor may have ran a tool through the unreviewed list to check for bad links and what not, I don't know how this will appear on a website log, but the tool can return with news of redirects, frames, errors, etc. so it must visit the site. Or an editor may have only had greenbusting permissions (can only review and edit unreviewed sites, but not publish) in that category and they reviewed/edited your site and possibly approved it, but it will not be published until an editor with full permissions peaks at it and approves the greenbust. Or it may have been approved straight through, but the public side of ODP hasn't updated yet (can sometimes take a few days) Or some other circumstances.

Don't rely on the website logs. If in doubt ask for a submission status check in the Resource Zone

Later,
    Rob

rob777, May 2, 2005 IP
  4. jlerner

jlerner Guest

Best Answers:
    Good to know I'm not out of the game yet - thanks Rob :)

jlerner, May 2, 2005 IP